4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 4:16 PM by jiveit

Building a custom rpm install

pastorjome

Hello,

wondering if anyone can help with this. We are currently developing several customizations around a vanilla instance of Jive 6 (the development is ongoing on windows... ). We would like to package this to be deployed on a test Centos server. I see that I can deploy a new instance using an rpm. How can I go about building an rpm install package? Are there any other ways of deploying our customizations (themes, plugins and custom war).

Thanks.

• Re: Building a custom rpm install

I'd be quite keen on finding out more about this too - as the default rpm misses some of our internal standards and needs some tweaking.

I'd like to understand a bit more about your use cases. Part of the reason is that we are moving away from plugins as the mechanism to perform extensions. Instead of a custom RPM, I'd encourage you to use sandbox.jiveon.com (you can get an account here) and build an app. This will ensure there is a clean, upgrade safe way to get to the cloud.

If you can't do what you need to using our API and app framework, then this is a good indication of where we need to improve.

I'm not sure it's a matter of anything to do with plugins.

Our unix infrastructure is all backed with AD authentication - so the fact that the RPM creates a local user to run the services as is a violation of our standards for a start.

There are probably others too, but I've not delved deeply into everything the RPM does yet.

jiveit

Hi Pastor Jome Akpoduado ,

I know I am very late on this one but guess I can help you(or route you) on this one.
                I think we can have other other custom ways of deploying the custom changes to your instance. Let me know if you are still looking out for this solution ?

Thanks,

Lewis