5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2007 6:34 AM by britchie

WebDAV HowTo

In the Clearspace Data Sheet there was a comment about viewing documents through regular Windows Explorer, which I am assuming is through WebDAV (I remember reading some mention of it in other docs). We are seriously looking at Clearspace and being able to perform this action would definitely help adoption.

I am technical enough to deal with things like installing and configuring mysql, apache, tomcat, mod_jk, etc, but I am a complete noob when it comes to WebDAV. Is there something I need to configure with apache/tomcat or within Clearspace to enable this capability? I read that tomcat comes with WebDAV enabled read-only, but I am not sure how to connect to it when making a new connection through My Network Places.

I also did a search in the Clearspace forums and got nada. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Re: WebDAV HowTo

hi cgravelle,

WebDAV isn't officially supported (although it is part of the datasheet, I created a bug to get that removed), however we do have an unofficial WebDAV plugin that ships as part of the source build. You should see it in plugins/webdav/. If you have Ant installed you can build the plugin by going to the build directory of the source build and then type:

ant plugins

which should produce webdav.jar that you can them drop into the admin console (System > Settings > Plugins).

Cheers,

AJ

Just to clarify, I can't get the source build for the evaluation license, I can only get it if we purchase a license?

Hi AJ,

Can you comment at all on the plugin's reliability/functionality?  Does it expose a 'space' as a document store?  Getting files into Clearspace is somewhat of a hassle right now and WebDAV would solve that in one fell swoop.

Thanks!

Can you comment at all on the plugin's

reliability/functionality?  Does it expose a 'space'

as a document store?  Getting files into Clearspace

is somewhat of a hassle right now and WebDAV would

solve that in one fell swoop.

I think the webdav plugin functions decently as a read only webdav repository though currently there is no write capability supported.

We do however have document import functionality available via the admin tool -> spaces -> management -> import documents. It's file system based so the documents have to be located on the server (or mapped to a path via NFS or another networked file system).

Regards,

Bruce Ritchie