4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2007 7:15 AM by quksilver

Merge/Thread Documents?

Hi, is it possible to merge multiple documents together?  Or rather, create a list of documents in the order I'd like them to appear? 

The background is that I'd like to have many people work on a single document, but the document is broken up into multiple sections and I need to assign sections to different people.  But I'd still like to be able to bring the entire document together, or even sections of it together, for large scale review, printing, and distribution.

Thanks,

• Re: Merge/Thread Documents?

hi quksilver,

Clearspace doesn't currently have this feature, but it's come up a number times here on the forums so it's definitely on our radar.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear more about how you would use this feature. Is it part of a set of documentation that you're producing?  Are you writing proposals? etc..

Cheers,

AJ

Hmm, well, the particular document we're working on now is a large analysis that's one of our contract deliverables.  As far as document structure goes, I don't think it's terribly complex.  Table of contents and figures, multiple heading levels, bulleted lists, tables, images, citations, references, and appedices.  But managing all the pieces and individual contributions is very difficult, and as a large document it can be overwhelming when assigning multiple sections to individual analysts.  We've structured the document such that the ideal way to assign sections is to use a specific heading level, so that's how I, personally, see the perfect document management solution breaking up and re-integrating the overall document. 

But we could really use this process for most any collaborative authoring document, so I wouldn't consider it specific to this particular deliverable. 

Does that help explain the feature that I think would be most helpful?  I've looked around and the thing that comes closest is XML authoring, but it's so complicated that I think managing the solution would be worse than the existing process.  We've also tried wikis, which help with structuring the document and assigning tasks, but fail at exporting images or tables into a pdf of the page, handling citations, and creating tables of contents out of multiple wiki pages.

hi quksilver,

Thanks for writing that up. We've got a technical writer in-house who's been chomping at the bit for features that I think are similar to what you're asking for.  I'm gonna forward this thread to him to get his thoughts.  In general though, what you're asking for is something that Clearspace should be able to do and I've seen more than a few people ask for this type of document publishing collaboration on these forums so I'll push it around internally to see if we can get some traction behind this idea.

Cheers,

AJ

I marked it as answered, more or less, but thought the discussion would continue.  I'm unmarking because I didn't get any other response.