6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 10:29 AM by jivemike

private forums, public tags

If a tag is used only in a private space, it is still shown to everyone, including guests, in the "Popular Tags" widget and in the "Browse all tags" page.

Clicking on one of those tags gives a page with no results and a "Could not find any matching content tagged with..." message.

This is a result of permissions, and not deleted content. It can envision problems if confidential material (version numbers, security alerts) show up as public tags that leaked out of a private space.

• Re: private forums, public tags

hi John,

Behind the scenes this is a really tricky problem to solve, so let me step back and ask a question: I believe that the tags that are shown on all pages except the home page and the /tags page are only tags that are specific to the community / space you're viewing. So if we removed and / or disabled the tags view at the root level, would that solve the problem?

Cheers,

AJ

Yes, I think that is an ok workaround. We would still like a Tags and a Popular Tags for all public spaces to put up there, even if we don't solve the full N users x M spaces problem.

Our design has a 'main' space where most of the talk goes on (migration from existing Forums), so for us we can use that to pull public tags from.

JT

hey John,

Just an FYI, whenever you get to the point where you want to show a tag cloud for a given community / space, here's a sample of the Freemarker code we use that illustrates some of the ways you can tweak the tag cloud:

<@ww.action name="tag-cloud" executeResult="true" ignoreContextParams="true">

<@ww.param name="communityID" value="${community.ID?c}"/>

<@ww.param name="recursive" value="'true'"/>

<@ww.param name="numResults" value="'15'"/>

</@ww.action>

Cheers,

AJ

RobAlexander
                  ajohnson1200 wrote:

Behind the scenes this is a really tricky problem to solve, so let me step back and ask a question: I believe that the tags that are shown on all pages except the home page and the /tags page are only tags that are specific to the community / space you're viewing. So if we removed and / or disabled the tags view at the root level, would that solve the problem?

AJ,

We have noticed this same issue, too. Removing and/or disabling the tags view at the root level would be all right, but it would be better if you could make it so that users only see tags to which there is content accessible by that user.

Thanks,

Rob

Are there any changes in 3.0 that will make this more of a possibility? We, too, have varying permissions for different groups and it would be really useful if they only saw the tags for spaces they have access to on the homepage.

-Michael