4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2007 9:17 AM by ajohnson1200

Reverting to 1.0 GUI

Our users have just gotten used to the 1.0 GUI and although the 1.1.1 GUI is nice, I'd like to be able to switch back to the 1.0 GUI. Is there an easy way to do this? Or is it time to dig into some serious FreeMarker work?

Thanks,

Doug

• Re: Reverting to 1.0 GUI

Hey Doug,

We did make some significant changes to the GUI in 1.1.1, but we feel that they are improvements. There is no easy way to switch back to the older GUI besides customization on your side.

Cheers,

Will

hi Doug,

What specific things about the new editor threw your users off?

Cheers,

AJ

Will, AJ,

Don't get me wrong, I really like many of the improvements in 1.1.1. Some of the requested changes are nits, some are for "the way we use the system" and others are for consistency. So here goes...

In 1.0.X, the home page highlighted the spaces with a 2/3 of the page for them. In 1.1.1, it's the opposite, with "What's New" taking up most of the page.

A small diversion on "What's New". We modified some templates in 1.0.X to limit the "What's New" to 5 entries. We don't think "What's New" is so important that it should take up so much of the home page. Another problem with the 1.1.1 "What's New", is it defaults to blog postings. I don't want to get into another "the value of blogs" discussion, I just don't understand why blogs are so important. (again, it's what wwe find important, versus what you find important). Instead of it defaulting to any one type of content, I'd rather see the old 1.0.X behavior, all content that is new, in chronological order, regardless of type. It's nice having the tabs in the 1.1.1 "What's New", but there should also be a "All Content" tab that is the default.

So back to the UI. After the user gets past the home page, the default page nav should be on the left, taking up minimal space, with most of the page dedicated to content on the right. This was the case in 1.0.X, it's been swapped in 1.1.1.

One last thing, which is really a nit. If you start on the home page and click (for example) "Discussions" in the "What's New" section, it takes you to an expanded page of all discussions. By default, it fills the top half of the page with statistics, something that is interesting, but (IMHO) should not display by default. Instead of a label of "Spaces", it should be something like "Discussion statistics by Space" and be hidden by default. When users click the "Discussions" link on the home page, they'll expect to see discussions, not statistics about discussions.

That's all I've got for now. There are some other minor tweaks needed and I have a feeling I'm going to get well versed in FreeMarker.

Thanks,

Doug

hi Doug,

Don't ever feel like you can't 'nit' about something! Your feedback, positive or negative, is welcome here anytime.

Another problem with the 1.1.1 "What's New", is it defaults to blog postings.

You can change this back to the old style by getting rid of the blog set as the primary blog on the root space. In retrospect, we probably need to make it easier to configure this, so here's an issue for that:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/issues/browse/CS-1181

I don't want to get into another "the value of blogs" discussion, I just don't understand why blogs are so important

They're not really anymore important than any other type of content, our thinking was that on a community with lots of content (eg: especially external communities), it might be nice to have a blog where a leader / manager / team member could bubble up some of the important / interesting things happening in the community via a blog post. Some of our thought was guided by the positive feedback that our open source site igniterealtime.org got, which has a blog on the homepage for that very reason.  Regardless, like I mentioned above, you can configure your space to show more than just blog posts and we need to make it easier to do that.

After the user gets past the home page, the default page nav should be on the left, taking up minimal space, with most of the page dedicated to content on the right.

You wouldn't believe how much we argued about that change internally. Again, we should probably give the administrator the ability to choose this, so I created an improvement issue for this as well:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/issues/browse/CS-1182

If you start on the home page and click (for example) "Discussions" in the "What's New" section, it takes you to an expanded page of all discussions....

Good point, I just looked at our intranet instance and it doesn't look so hot either.  Here's an issue for that:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/issues/browse/CS-1183

Thanks for all your input, keep it coming.

Cheers,

AJ