1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 4:21 PM by Will

Report Abuse Strategy

Sorry for all the questions today!

I am working through the abuse features of ClearspaceX 1.2 and I need some help to ensure that I am not missing anything or a more efficient way of doing things. First, some background.

I am the community manager for PC World. I oversee our community, and I work with four member moderators. Their primary responsibility is to remove any items that violate our community standards. This includes personal attacks, spam, etc.

We are currently using phpBB, and our procedure is to move the offending post to a "purgatory" forum, so it is out of public view but we may access it later. This is especially important for me, as members often come to me to ask why their post was removed, and I need a copy of their post to refer back to.

We are excited about the report abuse feature, as wel feel that it will help us monitor the forums more accurately. However, I still need to keep a record of what was removed.

My current plan is this: I will give my member moderators "moderate content" permissions. This will enable them to see the abuse reports. They can approve, defer, or edit & approve as much as they like.

If they need to remove an entire post, they will copy the original post (including time/date and username of poster), and the abuse report into a discussion thread in our private discussion area. They will then return to the moderation screen and reject the post, which will delete it from the forum.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to click through from the moderation screen to see the post that was reported in its original thread location?

2) If the post reported is the first in the thread, and it is rejected, it appears that the entire thread is deleted. Is this true? How will my moderators know from the moderation screen if is is the first in a thread? (I'd like them to simply edit all the content out of the post and approve it, rather than removing the entire thread.)

3) I have the option set to hide the post if it gets more than 5 abuse reports. If this happens, how do I see what has been hidden, and potentially un-hide it? What happens if it is the first post in a thread that gets automatically hidden?

4) Do the blogs have a "report abuse" feature as well? What about comments on blogs or wiki documents?

Thanks for your input, I look forward to your ideas on how to handle our situation.

• Re: Report Abuse Strategy

Hi,

I have responded to your email, but for users looking for the answers to these questions:

BTW, this is for CS 1.2

<<< a) Is there a way to click through from the moderation screen to see a

post that was reported in its original location?

>>>

No, but since you can see which space it is in, and the title you can find it that way

<<< b) if the post reported is the first in the thread, and it is rejected, it

appears that the entire thread is deleted. Is this true? How will my

moderators know from the moderation screen if it is the first in a thread?

(I'd like them to simply edit the content out of the post and approve it,

rather than removing the entire thread.)

>>>

Yes, if the top thread is rejected, then the whole thread is lost. There is no clear way to find out if it is the top thread without finding the exact post via manual searching/exploring.

<<< c) I have the option set to hide a post if it gets more than 5 abuse

reports. If this happens, how do I see what was hidden, and un-hide it?

>>>

Your moderator will be able to see a difference with moderation and abuse reporting, noted by the yellow triangle and !. If an entry has more than 5 abuse reports, then it is hidden, so your moderator will see 5 (or more) abuse reports on an entry, and then know that it is hidden.

To unhide it, you need to either approve it or edit & approve it

<<<What happens if it is the first post in a thread that gets hidden?

<<<

If it is the first thread that receives the abuse, the whole thread becomes hidden. This is where your moderator would need to recognize it is the top post, and edit & approve it.

<<< d) Do the blogs have a "report abuse" features as well? What about

comments on blogs or wikis?

No, not at this time