5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2007 1:18 PM by ken.strickland

Clearspace - Import Content problem

I am trying to use the Import Content option to import my Jive Integrated data to a brand new installation of Clearspace to see if this will work for us.  Even though this is a brand new installation, it gives me the error:

The selected importer required a new unmodified Clearspace instance to import content.

I can't get any less modified than this and still get to this admin page.  My only guess is that since I set this up for LDAP, the users and groups have been modified so it will not perform the import.  How can I make it skip this check and just import the data?

ken

• Re: Clearspace - Import Content problem

hi Ken,

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the importer checks to make sure you don't have any users in the system and I bet that by using LDAP you'll always have users in the system.   It will probably be a giant pain in the *** to do it this way, but I think if you tried going through setup again and use the database for storing users... then import content... then go through setup again and choose LDAP, you'd be all set.

Cheers,

AJ

Yes, I thought that option might be doable; unfortunately, the importer still will not import the information, because it complains about the source being LDAP and the destination being not LDAP.  So it tells me I must make clearspace LDAP before I do the import.

The importer could NEVER work with an LDAP installation.  Was this even tested before it was put into the product?

ken

hi Ken,

The importer could NEVER work with an LDAP installation.

Turns out you're absolutely right and this problem will be fixed in version 1.4, which is scheduled to be released... sometime today.  The action that used to require no users now does not do a user check, which means you should be able to proceed using LDAP on your integrated instance and LDAP on your brand new Clearspace instance. Just for the record, it still does do a check to make sure that the new instance has no more than one community and no documents, threads or blogs.

Was this even tested before it was put into the product?

It absolutely was, we put the importer through a ton of testing, it just so happened that all of the testing was against integrated and forums instances that used the database for authentication and not LDAP. Sorry about that, once 1.4 comes out let us know if the import works for you!

Cheers,

AJ

Thanks.  Please forgive my comment "...was this even tested..." -- that was rude.

I have successfully imported all the content from my integrated server; however, all of the posts are owned by user "Guest".  Should the user information have been imported as well?

I see in the error log a bunch of messages like these:

2007.08.06 11:42:55 Unable to load group with id: 781

2007.08.06 11:42:55 Unable to load user with id: 5

While the user names exit in clearspace, I noticed that user id's in clearspace are different from the userid id's in integrated.  Is there another step I need to take to do a user id mapping?

ken

As a test to see what could have gone wrong during the import, I started over and re-ran the import from scratch.  I noticed that it stated only 29 of about 1200 users were migrated.  I'm not sure if that means that only 29 users of 1200 actually have content, or if something failed after migrating the 29th user.

Here are a couple of notes that might be of interest:

- My Clearspace is running the Evaluation license, so could it be that I'm running out of user licenses during the import?

- My Integrated has been running LDAP for a couple of years now, and I've noticed that as our IT Department removes users from the LDAP server, these users are not removed from the Integrated list.  Could it be that after the 29th user, it hits a user that has been removed from the LDAP server, so it fails?  Is there a way to clean out LDAP users that no longer exist?

ken