11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2007 9:30 AM by Will

Upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.4 loses user information

Tomcat 5.5, MySQL

Testing the upgrade before trying it in production. The upgrade runs through just fine until I get to the admin profile setup which does not accept any entry. If I ignore this step I then cannot login with my user id (existing in previous version and valid in LDAP). Looking at the log at this point I see the following error

2007.08.03 08:42:53 Unknown column 'userEnabled' in 'where clause'

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column 'userEnabled' in 'where clause'

at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:936)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2870)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1573)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1665)

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3176)

at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1153)

at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1266)

at com.jivesoftware.base.ldap.LdapUserManager.getEnabledUserCount(LdapUserManager.java:226)

at com.jivesoftware.community.license.ClearspaceLicenseManager.getSeatStatus(ClearspaceLicenseManager.java:198)

at com.jivesoftware.community.license.ClearspaceLicenseManager.getSeatStatus(ClearspaceLicenseManager.java:246)

at com.jivesoftware.community.license.ClearspaceLicenseManager.isSeatStatusBlocked(ClearspaceLicenseManager.java:271)

at com.jivesoftware.community.action.CreateProfile.doInput(CreateProfile.java:147)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeAction(DefaultActionInvocation.java:358)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invokeActionOnly(DefaultActionInvocation.java:218)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:192)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.FlashInterceptor.intercept(FlashInterceptor.java:40)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:190)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:88)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:190)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:88)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:31)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.JiveObjectLoaderInterceptor.intercept(JiveObjectLoaderInterceptor.java:55)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:31)

at com.opensymphony.webwork.interceptor.FileUploadInterceptor.intercept(FileUploadInterceptor.java:171)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.I18nInterceptor.intercept(I18nInterceptor.java:151)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.JiveIOCInterceptor.intercept(JiveIOCInterceptor.java:694)

at com.jivesoftware.community.action.LocaleInterceptor.intercept(LocaleInterceptor.java:71)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.AuthInterceptor.intercept(AuthInterceptor.java:60)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.JiveLoginInterceptor.intercept(JiveLoginInterceptor.java:42)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:186)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.ModuleCheckInterceptor.intercept(ModuleCheckInterceptor.java:49)

at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionProxy.execute(DefaultActionProxy.java:116)

at com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.DispatcherUtils.serviceAction(DispatcherUtils.java:225)

at com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.doFilter(FilterDispatcher.java:202)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.JiveFilterDispatcher.doFilter(JiveFilterDispatcher.java:53)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.SetResponseCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetResponseCharacterEncodingFilter.java:62)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.JiveActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(JiveActionContextCleanUp.java:46)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetRequestCharacterEncodingFilter.java:73)

at org.directwebremoting.servlet.DwrWebContextFilter.doFilter(DwrWebContextFilter.java:91)

at com.jivesoftware.community.upgrade.UpgradeFilter.doFilter(UpgradeFilter.java:43)

at com.jivesoftware.base.plugin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:71)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.filter.ApplicationInitializedFilter.doFilter(ApplicationInitializedFilter.java:95)

at com.jivesoftware.base.database.dao.DAOContextCleanUpFilter.doFilter(DAOContextCleanUpFilter.java:32)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Issue appears to be that userEnabled field is missing from jiveuser table. Is this an issue with missing versions (jumping from 1.1 to 1.4)?

Message was edited by: Mike Poole

• Re: Upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.4 loses user information

I'm having the exact same problem, where going 1.1.1 -> 1.4 does not seem to kick off the upgrade wizard.  I downgraded to trying to go from 1.1.1 -> 1.3 and that did give me the upgrade wizard and it went through and gave all greens for the 5 tasks that needed to be performed.  Nonetheless, I was still unable to login with any valid user.

I would try going from 1.1.1 -> 1.2, but that download isn't available.  If users are going to need to perform every 1.x release then Jive Software needs to make them all available.

Can someone from Jive validate that this is a real problem?  If it's my fault then great, I can invest more time to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  However, since the upgrade process is fairly simply I'm really lost as to how I could have screw the pooch on this one.  At present, I'm stuck with 1.1.1 and can't move forward to any version as no version seems to upgrade properly.  This is all running with Tomcat 6.0.13 and jdk 6 on a AMD 64-bit machine with Linux.

bdavis

I don't think it's you. LDAP was working fine for me until I tried to upgrade from 1.3

to 1.4. I'm going to skip this upgrade.

I'll second that.  LDAP was working fine with 1.3, but something appears to be seriously broken with the 1.4 release.

Hi guys,

I'm very sorry to hear of your bad impressions of 1.4, and we would like to get these straightened out as soon as we can. In order for this to happen I am asking a couple favors from all 4 of you having upgrade troubles: Would you please send me your log files which have gone through the upgrade process? Secondly, if you have cleared them since your failed upgrades, could you reproduce the upgrade errors and then send me your logs?  Please email them to support (at) jivesoftware dot com, with attention to Will.

Thank you again and sorry for your troubles,

Will

Hi all,

You are all correct that the problem is on our side. We have done some revamping of user authentication, and the problem has to do with the 'userEnabled' column not existing in the jiveUser table in the database. 

The workaround is to manually enter this column to jiveUser table, then login to the upgrade console and execute all tasks, noting that the one task that adds the userEnabled column will fail telling them you it already exists. You can skip that task and mark it as manually completed, and move on.

The sql script is as follows:

-- ALTER jiveUser: Add a user enabled column

-- ALTER TABLE jiveUser ADD userEnabled INTEGER DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL;

Please give the upgrade a try, as we have fixed a large number of bugs for the 1.4 release.

Let me know how this goes, Thanks,

Will

PS. Thanks for the logs

Will those instructions work with the embedded database?

bdavis

I don't think that applies to my issue:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=19021

I upgraded as each release came out so I already have the userEnabled column.

I made the changes you suggested and I was asked to do 2 upgrade tasks when going from 1.1.1 to 1.4.  The upgrade gave 2 greens and I have been able to log in and create a user, set settings etc.

Nonetheless, I have the following stacktrace in the jive.error.log file.  Previously before I altered the jiveUser table and tried to go from 1.1.1 to 1.3, then I would get the upgrade console with 5 tasks, 1 of which would create the missing tables.  However, 1.1.1 to 1.4 appears to skip table creation. 

Can we manually add the tables similar to how we altered the jiveUser table?  If so, then what's the SQL for it?

2007.08.10 03:35:28 Table 'clearspacedb.jivePopularity' doesn't exist

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspacedb.jivePop

ularity' doesn't exist

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2934)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1616)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1708)

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3255)

at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.ja

va:1293)

at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:

1428)

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.dao.ActivityDAOImpl.getPopularityByCo

ntainer(ActivityDAOImpl.java:321)

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.DbActivityManager$PopularityDetermina

tionWorker.populateCommunityPopularity(DbActivityManager.java:652)

tionWorker.run(DbActivityManager.java:580)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

2007.08.10 03:35:28 com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException:

Table 'clearspacedb.jivePopularity' doesn't exist

com.jivesoftware.base.database.dao.DAOException: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQL

SyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspacedb.jivePopularity' doesn't exist

ntainer(ActivityDAOImpl.java:339)

tionWorker.populateCommunityPopularity(DbActivityManager.java:652)

tionWorker.run(DbActivityManager.java:580)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspac

edb.jivePopularity' doesn't exist

1428)

ntainer(ActivityDAOImpl.java:321)

... 3 more

2007.08.10 03:35:28 Table 'clearspacedb.jiveActivity' doesn't exist

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspacedb.jiveAct

ivity' doesn't exist

1428)

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.dao.ActivityDAOImpl.getRecentActivity

Container(ActivityDAOImpl.java:138)

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.DbActivityManager.initialize(DbActivi

tyManager.java:121)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication$ManagerHandler.r

egisterManager(JiveApplication.java:177)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplicationLifeCycle.initMan

agers(JiveApplicationLifeCycle.java:561)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplicationLifeCycle.initial

ize(JiveApplicationLifeCycle.java:186)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication.initialize(JiveA

pplication.java:80)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.LifeCycleListener.contextIniti

alized(LifeCycleListener.java:46)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContex

t.java:3827)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4

334)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase

.java:791)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:77

1)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:825)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:714

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:490

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1138)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java

:311)

at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycl

eSupport.java:117)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:719)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443

)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:5

16)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:566)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.

java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces

sorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

2007.08.10 03:35:28 com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException:

Table 'clearspacedb.jiveActivity' doesn't exist

com.jivesoftware.base.database.dao.DAOException: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQL

SyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspacedb.jiveActivity' doesn't exist

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.dao.ActivityDAOImpl.getRecentActivity

Container(ActivityDAOImpl.java:154)

at com.jivesoftware.community.impl.DbActivityManager.initialize(DbActivi

tyManager.java:121)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication$ManagerHandler.r

egisterManager(JiveApplication.java:177)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplicationLifeCycle.initMan

agers(JiveApplicationLifeCycle.java:561)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplicationLifeCycle.initial

ize(JiveApplicationLifeCycle.java:186)

at com.jivesoftware.community.lifecycle.JiveApplication.initialize(JiveA

pplication.java:80)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.webwork.LifeCycleListener.contextIniti

alized(LifeCycleListener.java:46)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContex

t.java:3827)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4

334)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase

.java:791)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:77

1)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:825)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:714

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:490

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1138)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java

:311)

at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycl

eSupport.java:117)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:719)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443

)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:5

16)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710

)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:566)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.

java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces

sorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'clearspac

edb.jiveActivity' doesn't exist

Hi,

I have not heard back from the developer on this yet. But it would be harmless to add this table if it was not created for you in the upgrade process.

SQL:

CREATE TABLE jivePopularity (

popularityID   BIGINT NOT NULL,

objectType     INT NOT NULL,

objectID       BIGINT NOT NULL,

containerType  INT NOT NULL,

containerID    BIGINT NOT NULL,

score          INT NOT NULL,

creationDate   BIGINT NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT jivePopularity_pk PRIMARY KEY (popularityID)

);