8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 7:25 AM by czurcher

Documents translated into different languages

karenp

Hi everyone

I'm quite new to Jive, well not as a user, but as an admin.  Apologies if this is a simple question.  At the moment, I am thinking about how best people can "link" together documents which are translated into different languages.  Ideally it would be great to have one document and then have different tabs at the top to switch into viewing it in a different language translation but I am not sure this is possible, especially if I want to have different approvers for each "tab".

So the problem that I am facing is:

• The technical approvers for a community won't speak all languages.  Therefore this means that we are creating new communities for each language and the approvers for these areas will speak the relevant language, but won't understand all technologies. 
      • We ensure a document exists in English first before translating it because this is the Primary language for our community and for sharing knowledge between geographies.
      • My question is: How do we ensure that if the parent English document is altered the translations that are derived from it are flagged in some way to ensure that they are updated too?

I have a few ideas how I can go about this, but I am worried that they rely a bit too heavily on people rather than automated process.

Could anyone please share if and how they have achieved this with Jive please?

Regards

Karen

• Re: Documents translated into different languages
          a_behrens

I heard this quite a bit at JiveWorld. Luckily we have two bi-lingual (Spanish) and our International PMs sit thirty feet away. Until a Google Translate style plug in is available, it may be an opportunity to engage new users and stand them up as multi-lingual experts. I would like to have a manual badge process where the community can find individuals with shared goals and a common language.

1 person found this helpful
            justin.strasburg

Hi Karen,

Lingotek - Inside Jive 5 is an app that helps manage translation of Jive documents.  Check them out here: Collaborative Translation Platform | Lingotek  I haven't used this app myself yet but had a cool demo of it at Jiveworld.

karenp

Hi

Thanks so much for your replies.  I will take a look at Lingotek thank you.

The actual translation of the text is ok though, because we have many bilingual members within the team.  My concern is more about the management of the two documents - English (parent/original) document and (child) translated document.  How we can ensure that if one gets updated the other is flagged to be updated?

Regards

Karen

a_behrens

Karen,

That would be a great Content Mabagement tool regardless of language. We have several documents and videos related to a similar topic and one change impacts several. The closest thing we have is the Related Documents widget but it doesn't send alerts.

karenp

Maybe I am asking too much then!  For other purposes, (ITSM), I am used to using a product where you can have something happen on the parent and it affects the status / sends alerts about any linked child records in the way that you define.  That was why I was hoping it would be possible.

However, I have had a look at the Lingotek demo and this looks really interesting.  It isn't quite clear on exactly what happens if a translated document gets edited later, but I will look into this if we decide to investigate this route.

Regards

Karen

mnevill

I know several folks have imbedded Google Translate in the header of the site.  This is free but comes with the price of things not being perfect and only works on HTML content (not PDFs).  I know Element14 has been using it for a while and likely has a broad user-base around the globe: http://www.element14.com/community/index.jspa

Christina Zurkawicz - Can you offer any feedback on how this has worked for you guys?  Do there seem to be a lot of headaches with Google Translate or are you pretty happy with it? 

Thanks,
                    Matt

karenp

Thank you for your reply.  From what I can see, because the documents are translated on the fly by google translate you cannot search in other languages in order to locate the documents.  We would need to allow users to search in their own languages to find the documents.

Regards

Karen

czurcher

Hi Matt, we have used it for a long time. Google has changed their API over the years. It was better previously. We were able to actually restrict the translation to only affect certain tags on the page. Now, however, since Google changed their translate API, we basically are only able to translate the whole "page". It does still work but it's not as good an experience. We also found that having calls out to Google impacted our page performance, so now the google translate button in the header is only really loaded when a user clicks on it (ajax call) so that has helped. There aren't many headaches with it, it's pretty straight forward, and it is used by our members, but it's definitely not as good an experience as it used to be. Hope that is helpful.