5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 6:30 PM by rmonge

How To setup LDAP (AD) for Authentication only: Not groups, or User Info

I'm still very puzzled with how to solve the above problem.  I downloaded Clearspace X 1.5 and I thought some of these issues had been solved so tried to configure my server by:

1) Doing the default user installation first (users in db) so that I could add my LDAP user as an Admin (just in case I got stuck once I flipped the LDAP mode). 

2) Modified the setup = true flag and restarted Clearspace.

3) I also added the ldap.mode=1 to my jive_startup.xml (see Mixed Mode posting).

4) I tried the LDAP mode (note for AD users I had to change the user filter to (User Search Filter= (sAMAccountName=) for it to work on with my LDAP server.

5) It accepted the admin credentials and proceed to add every single LDAP user to my instance. Note this is a big Enterprise so it's adding users from Europe that I don't really want using this Clearspace.

6) I filled up my user license limit and am now trying to figure out to nicely clean the user and group tables so that I can try a Custom configuration using LDAP for only the Auth provider.

Any tips on how to best do configure this kind of installation; it seems like a few people have similar setups?

• Re: How To setup LDAP (AD) for Authentication only: Not groups, or User Inf

I got a little further after having to drop the clearspace tables 3-4 times to due the large user base imports.  Here is what I did:

1) On a new install create a user account i know exists in ldap and make it a space admin, make sure the password is set to the same as the ldap instance.

2) Add the Ldap properties via the property editor:

ldap.adminPassword  =  hidden

ldap.baseDN  =  CN=users,DC=mycompany,DC=com

ldap.emailField  =  mail

ldap.groupDescriptionField  =  description

ldap.groupMemberField  =  member

ldap.groupNameField  =  cn

ldap.groupSearchFilter  =  (member=) ldap.host  =  ldap.mycompany.com ldap.nameField  =  name ldap.port  =  389 ldap.searchFilter  =  (sAMAccountName=)

ldap.sslEnabled  =  false

ldap.user.defaultEmailVisible  =  false

ldap.usernameField  =  sAMAccountName

ldap.adminDN  =  CN=ldap_user,CN=users,DC=my_company,DC=com

3) Now switch the Auth provider via the

AuthFactory.className  =  com.jivesoftware.base.ldap.LdapAuthFactory

4) Restart the server and it seemed to work... Until I tried to access it with a new user.  Then something odd happened.  The user was authenticated with ldap, an entry was made in the db but for some odd reason the user could not login (although his user name showed up in the Logged in status bar).  It took a little while to figure it out but it looks like the login page is also checking against the password hash so LDAP auto-created users w/out a matching password in the db can't get in. 

Any ideas of how to get around this last little hurdle? 

thanks in advance.

bdavis

I have the same situation. I deleted the GroupManager.className property to prevent the LDAP group manager from creating all the users in the directory.

About the login problem.

I saw the exact same thing when I tried 1.5. I changed the ldap.adminDN to just the username (sAMAccountName), not the fully qualified DN, and it worked. I have an open question about the same subject here:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=19141

What I was trying to figure was a repeatable way to create a new installation with the LDAP for auth only that didn't import in all of the users.  Using the LDAP installer wizard was the only way to set all of the properties for the system but hitting ok to save the properties also pulled in all the ldap users into my clearspace.  

I think I finally figured out a way to do this cleanly. I do all of the steps I mentioned in the original post but I had missed a second set of ldap properties that also needed to be set. 

It looks like the different ldap managers use different configurations.  I needed to configure the ldap.<properties> and the instance properties form each one of the spi provider classes.  Luckily turning on the ldap trouble shooting helped out.  I could see that my user was being authenticated in ldap, but then further down in the process I could see that ldap was being called again but this time with null properties for the ldap session:

at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown Source)

at javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.LdapConfiguration.getContextWithDn(LdapConfiguration.java:615)

at com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.LdapUserProviderImpl.findUserDN(LdapUserProviderImpl.java:151)

it printed out that some of these important params where null:

adminPassword: null

adminDN: null

nameField: cn

alternateBaseDN: null

baseDN:

usernamefield: uid

port: 389

host: []

After looking a print out of my previous properties I noticed these had been inserted into the property tables:

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Administrator DN  =

CN=ldap_admin,CN=users,DC=mycompany,DC=com

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Administrator Password  = hidden

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Base DN  =

CN=users,DC=turner,DC=com

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Connection Pooling Enabled  = true 

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Port  =  389

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Search Filter  =

(sAMAccountName=)

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Search Sub Trees  =  true

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Search Wild Card Pattern  =  *

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Server Address  =

ldap.mycompany.com

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:SSL Enabled  =  false

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.AuthenticationProviderImpl:Username Field  =

sAMAccountName

Same for the LdapUserProviderImpl class (property prefix below):

__jive.spi.com.jivesoftware.spi.user.impl.ldap.LdapUserProviderImpl:Administrator DN 

After tediously adding these manually to the property tables it worked as I had hoped. 

BUG:  It does look like 3 different ldap systems have to look up the users auth info (and each one uses a different property set for configuration).  If a user mistypes their password our security policy (3 strikes you are out) causes our LDAP server to lock out accounts because of the multiple bad tries.

I hope this will help someone else out with a new install when they want auth only ldap.

Message was edited by: rmonge

Mine was working as just authorization until I switched to Clearspace 1.6, when 1500 users were added to my evaluation instance via Active Directory.

This filled up my evaluation licenses and now I can't use the system anymore.

How did you remove all of the users easily? You mention "drop the clearspace tables," what does this mean and how do you do it?