4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2007 9:53 AM by ajohnson1200

Quick One - Escape Characters

Howdy folks,

I know this answer is out there, because I've heard it once before.  But I can't seem to track it down in these forums or in past email threads with Jive.  Hopefully, it's just a quickie.

What is the correct syntax for escaping characters in Clearspace X?  Specifically, I would like to escape the square brackets:

Since I need a few of my wiki documents to actually contain the square bracket characters (and not generate links in Clearspace), how can I escape them? 

The use case here is that I am writing some Knowledge Base articles which contain suggestions for modifying an .INI file.  Since .INI files are full of sections represented by square brackets, I need to escape them from time to time.

Cheers,

Dave

• Re: Quick One - Escape Characters

I would also like to know this, since I can't seem to figure out how to escape html tags such as the anchor tag.

You'll want to use macros for this.  For more information, go to your clearspace admin console, and you'll find details under Spaces->Settings->Fitlers and Macros.

The code macro would probably be the most useful here, but it will do syntax highlighting for whatever language you set it to (default is java.)

In clearspace just post something like this (when the code macro is turned on, which it should be by default):

[here is some stuff in brackets]

Cheers,

Chase

Hey Chase,

That's cool - thanks.  That  macro trick looks nice and I will definitely use that in Clearspace...probably a lot.

But just for the record, can somebody answer whether there is (or is not) a method for specifically escaping characters?   The method that Chase describes is good and will definitely be useful, but I just want to know whether there is some syntax that I can deliberately use to deliberately escape a character. 

Cheers,

Dave

hi Dave,

You can use a backslash character (\) to escape wiki sytnax. Example:

\[Uninstall\]

NumFiles=346

File000=C:\Program Files\MyProgram\buddy.dll

will then result in this:

NumFiles=346

File000=C:\Program Files\MyProgram\buddy.dll

Cheers,

AJ