4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 3:56 PM by RobinMoore

What are your thoughts on using Jive as part of 'business continuity' arrangements?

RobinMoore

I think internal Jive instances could play an outstanding role in supporting business continuity (also referred to as 'BC', 'business continuity management', 'BCM' and sometimes 'disaster recovery'). Having an externally hosted site, accessible outside of the corporate network environment and also via mobile could prove invaluable in any business interruption.

I am researching how best to use Jive to support business continuity within ACE Group and was hoping other internal community managers might have some experience or insights on this topic.

We only launched our Jive community in September 2012, but already I noticed relevant usage within our community in the aftermath of 'Sandy'.

If you have implemented any business continuity arrangements using Jive (and perhaps tested these out), please share.

In particular I am giving consideration to:

1. How a business continuity team or crisis management team could best use a Jive Group to collaborate on solving the business interruption or crisis.
      2. How a Jive social intranet could best be used to communicate to employees about a business interruption or crisis.
        • Re: What are your thoughts on using Jive as part of 'business continuity' arrangements?
          Ted Hopton

Hi Robin,

I will be working on a blog post about how we used Jive during Sandy, as well as how we plan to use it in the future as a central part of our Business Continuity Planning. In short, you are on target: it's an excellent, invaluable resource.

• Re: What are your thoughts on using Jive as part of 'business continuity' arrangements?
            ycheong

The communications part is relatively straightforward -- when Sandy hit, many parts of our business used a combination of Space announcements and email messages linking to further information on our Jive instance, (We don't have enough people logging into Jive every single day to skip the email part, but one day ...) Because Sandy affected such a wide swath of the country and because upwards of a dozen offices were affected (many of which fall under different business units and therefore different Spaces), we also added a link from our home page to a "US Hurricane Information" document that simply included links to all the various parts of the business that were posting hurricane information and updates.

The actual solution part, of course, is more complex! A few things to consider:

• Where do you store your business continuity plans? Jive is ideal for this purpose -- it's secure and accessible on any computer or device with Internet access, i.e., it doesn't require VPN. It doesn't run off of any one server, so a natural disaster in one part of a country will not impact it.

• Where do individual teams / departments store their "phone tree" information? Most teams have lists of employees' home / cell phone numbers, emergency contact information, etc. Rather than storing this information on servers that can only be accessed from the office, why not post it in private team Groups in Jive? (I had one department head message me on Facebook because he hadn't heard from an employee in a low-lying area. I was able to respond and the employee was fine, but I don't think we want to rely on Facebook to plug the gaps in our business continuity plans.)

• Where do you store your files? Certain businesses may require security not available in the cloud, but for everyone else, it may be worth considering moving files from servers to Jive (preferably before the next Sandy hits).

• What happens to applications / software? Many businesses are moving toward cloud-based products, but a lot of applications still require an employee to be in the office / use VPN. (Your Jive instance can't really help on this end, obviously.)

• People will always flock to the most accessible source of information, which these days is Facebook and Twitter. So it's probably not a bad idea to keep your eye on social media in a time of crisis so you will know whether you should redirect people to information on Jive / address certain issues.

• Reach out to your business continuity / crisis management teams ASAP, so they're aware of the benefits of Jive and can integrate it into their plans when they formulate or update them.
            1 person found this helpful