13 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 5:01 PM by polenick

Use OpenSearch to search Jive from the outside?!

Hello Community,

I would like to search a Jive instance using an external Application. If I get it right there are two possibilities to do so:

I pretty much understand what can be done using the Search Service API. But I still do not understand what capabilities OpenSearch has. All I found so far was: 

'[..]The Jive application is also an OpenSearch provider (although OpenSearch isn't a good replacement for searching content it contains). You just have to point your OpenSearch reader to Jive's OpenSearch XML descriptor. For OpenSearch readers that aren't able to autodetect the descriptor, you'll have to add it manually. The OpenSearch descriptor for your community is located at http://<jiveURL>/opensearch.xml. For example, for the Jivespace descriptor, go to http://jivesoftware.com/community/opensearch.xml. Provide this file as the descriptor for your OpenSearch reader.[..]'

Can anyone provide further information? The version of OpenSearch that is implemented by Jive 5.0.4 would be of interest for me. What can be searched using OpenSearch? What does 'although OpenSearch isn't a good replacement for searching content it contains' mean? I have been reading every hit the Jive 5.0 Documentation Search provided (Most of them were discussing OpenSearch-SharePoint-problems).

I would be grateful for every piece of information you could provide.

Thank you,

Christian

P.S. Meanwhile I will enjoy the OpenSearch specifications.

• Re: Use OpenSearch to search Jive from the outside?!

Hello Christian Vilsmaier!

I'm going to @mention Nigel Daley who will be a great resource in helping us get you an answer regarding opensearch!

Ryan Rutan

OpenSearch has 2 main functions, and Jive supports both.  The first is a one-click (what I call, "setup search").  Which allows one system's search process to offer a link that when clicked...will take the user to the other system's search page with the exact same query.  In essence, 1 query ... multiple clicks to get results from multiple sources. 

The other feature which is a bit more interesting is the ability to get a feed of search results from Jive.  If you have an OpenSearch client, or website designed to consume open search results, your client will execute a search on its host....while also reaching out to the configured open search providers and query for results and get them back in basically an RSS feed.  From there, your client would be responsible for rendering that feed on in the experience.

Hope this helps.  OpenSearch is very cool.  Its the underpin that powers web browser multi-search engine search box, each search engine is defined as an OpenSearch end-point.  Hope that helps explain the options of OpenSearch.  Let us know if you have any further questions. =)

Thillainathan

Hi Ryan,

We have a scenario where we are planning to get search results from Jive community within sharepoint using opensearch.

If Jive instance is protected by SSO(using SAML), then for  federated search to work, should we expose Jive's descriptor xml file public  bypassing SSO authentication?

How Jive can authenticate sharepoint when sharepoint  issues query via opensearch request? Is it through basic authentication (username/password) details?Please confirm

For basic authentication to work, should we setup Feeds in Jive to have Basic authentication turn ON?

Regards,

Ravi

pawans

Hi Ryan,

Is it possible to replace the jive search box on the site?

We actually want to put a search box which not only searches for content within jive, but also from our other various datasources/websites and display the results on jive.

And for this we might have to replace the search box in jive with a custom one.

It it possible?

pawans

Hi Ryan Rutan, any updates on my query?

Ryan Rutan

Apologies, I was on vacation and didn't see the previous post.  Replacing the search box in a Hosted or On-Prem version of Jive, I'd argue is trivial.  Making the new search box equally (or more useful) than what is OOTB will be very disruptive and possibly counter-productive.  IMO, I would create a separate experience that mashes up these queries ... and work to weave the results into the interface with various smart in-context hooks.  The search box (for many users) is a center-piece for jumping back and forth in Jive, and replacing it with something else is more risky in terms of adoption/use, more so than technology.

Hope that helps.

nicolai_zaidman

Hi Ryan,

a response from the OpenSearch Client of Jive looks like this:

<channel>

<title>Search results</title>

<link>https://mydomain</link>

<description>List of items matching a given search query string</description>

<language>de</language>

<pubDate>Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:04:50 GMT</pubDate>

<generator>Jive SBS 5.0.2.1  (http://jivesoftware.com/products/clearspace/)</generator>

<dc:date>2012-02-27T22:04:50Z</dc:date>

<dc:language>de</dc:language>

<opensearch:itemsPerPage>15</opensearch:itemsPerPage>

<opensearch:totalResults>15</opensearch:totalResults>

<opensearch:startIndex>1</opensearch:startIndex>

<opensearch:Query role="request" searchTerms="searchquery" />

<opensearch:link rel="search" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" href="https://jive.q-perior.com/opensearch.xml" />

<item>

</item>

The search response seems to provide at least 15 search results. I do not see a link for the next 15 search results (pagination) in the response. The are definitively more than 15 results for the provides search query. It not possible to paginate through the OpenSearch results?

regards

Nicolai

pawans

I had been to Jive HQ a couple of weeks back and had a chat with few folks there around jive's search module.

Due to time limits I was not able to discuss much on this topic.

May be Ryan Rutan can help here.

What I am trying to do is utilise Jive's search module to either -

1) Search into some other systems too

2) or call search apis on other systems and display the results in jive.

Basically I want to utilise Jive's search a bit like an Enterprise Search and search into other system too.

Is this possible?

Ryan Rutan

You are describing, in part, OpenSearch, which Jive does support. 

See: Configuring OpenSearch

As for using Jive's search index to store information from other systems and have them be surfaced via Jive Search APIs, that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.  Granted it is SOLR on the back-end; however, it is configured and optimized for Jive.  Pretty sure you'll want to talk to support to make sure this is even a use-case worth entertaining.

Hope this helps. =)