32 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 7:15 AM by ReeceO

BOBJ EOL, RIP?

russell.pearson

Hi

I understand that BOBJ is no longer being sold to new customers. What are the plans to carry on supporting existing users?

Russell

• Re: BOBJ EOL, RIP?
          karl.rumelhart

Hi Russell,

We are continuing to support BOBJ.  No reduction in effort here at all.

-Karl

russell.pearson

Hi Karl

Interested in how will it continue to be supported. The base reports it comes with haven't changed in 2 years. We've had custom reports built out and then found inconsistencies and errors. When we report these back we're told Jive doesn't support custom reports. This raises a lot of questions on the scope of the support.

Russell

karl.rumelhart

Thanks for the clarification, Russell.  I understand your concern.  In fact, our support stance hasn't changed.   Supporting custom reports has never been part of what our support team can offer.  From time to time Jive folks have helped with some custom reports, e.g. in the context of BOBJ training.  But these are not part of the support service.  If you want to discuss further, I would be happy to set up a phone call.

bsoffer

Karl:

We currently leverage BOBJ for analytics on our internal instance that's running SBS 4.5.  Right now we're in the process of upgrading to SBS 6.0 and have already integrated and taken a look at the Community Manager Reports module.  Our Community Managers have reported losing a level of detail with CMR, from what's currently available with BOBJ.  Based on this discussion, would existing customers have access to a BOBJ plugin module compatible with SBS version 6.x?

Thanks.

Brad

• Re: Re: BOBJ EOL, RIP?
                      bchamberlain

Brad --

I believe Karl may have left Jive earlier this year. I am not sure on the status of BOBJ, but I imagine Ryan Rutan knows the answer.

On the analytics fronts, if you have any interest, we built out a pretty robust analytics module using QlikView's software. it sits on top of Jive's analytics database and is pretty powerful. If you are interested in finding out more, just let me know. Happy to do a demo for you.

Brad - we are hopeful that many customers will switch to using CMR rather than BOBJ when they upgrade to 6.0 - but if it is critical to your business we will support BOBJ for 6.0. Just work with support to get what you need.

I would also love to hear what details are important to your users so I can endeavor to make CMR work for you in the future.

Ted Hopton

Hi Josh,

Can you clarify what you mean by "work with support to get what you need"? We are planning our Jive 6 upgrade next month and were not told there would be any reason to even give a thought to BOBJ *not* being supported for us. CMR is inadequate to meet all of our reporting needs.

I would hope the default Jive 6 upgrade option for customers of BOBJ would be to maintain that service, rather than to remove it -- especially without clarification at the time that a Jive 6 upgrade has been requested (in our case, back in December).

Ted - basically we are making you jump through one hoop on upgrade which helps me get alerted to folks upgrading who are using BOBJ - that is that the 6.0 bobj plugin is only available by asking support for it - not for easy download (and not necessarily by default for hosted folks). So that is all I mean. When upgrading to 6.0 as a BOBJ customer, you will need to talk to support about the BOBJ plugin who will in turn let me know that there is a customer who I should chat with to figure out their reporting needs. In your case as a hosted customer, it isn't so much that you would download the plugin as much as you would want it to be included in the upgraded environment.

I am surprised that this did not come up when you requested your upgrade - may be worth a follow up to ensure that the plugin is getting installed into your new environment.

Ted Hopton

Just as I am surprised to learn about it by happening to follow this thread...

tmaurer

Josh - for some context here, we have NEVER had an upgrade where BOBJ went smoothly. My perspective here is that instead of expecting the customer to proactively ask for BOBJ to be installed during the upgrade, it should instead be a question that gets asked of the customer in preparation - "We have significantly enhanced our CMR plug-in. Do you still need the BOBJ plug-in installed as part of your upgrade?" Make it a conversation, not something that is left unsaid and then interpreted as an oversight on both sides.

That is exactly my goal Tracy. My expectation (and what I believe is set up with support) before discovering your discrepancy is that when the customer requests an upgrade, that support/hosting notices the BOBJ situation and reaches out to me so I can have exactly the chat you mention. In fact, your quote is quite accurate to what I try to say. In effect though, it means the plugin is not simply there by default - but is rather put there after the customer and I have a chat and we decide the best upgrade path.

This has in fact been happening - I suspect/hope that the timing of your request being in December as Karl was leaving accounts for the discrepancy.

Let's double check you are set for your upgrade - and I will also remind support/hosting of my goals here. Thanks!

tmaurer

I am trying to find the link to our site so Ted and I can see if it is there already, or if we need to request it. And thanks much for the clarification!!

russell.pearson

we all know BOBJ works but as someone pointed out: SAP Business Objects is a pain in the neck!  Just wish Jive had been a little more frank on where we all stand with it, I have noticed a slight 'cognitive dissonance' on Jive's position on the tool.

Will be good when the API is opened up to the raw Postgres data so we can connect our own data engines to the source more easily - Bill's work shows the way on what we can all acheive there to get the integrated, easy-to-use dashboard that we, our users and our stakeholder are all crying out for.

Tracy,

It (BOBj) has not been installed on your 6.0+ upgraded instances. It cannot be installed on two instances at once, as they would use the same analytic database and mess up your statistics. The BOBj setup requires a database migration and has been known to take a day or two to fully complete.

Nick

Account Support

s_fariss

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. We were told that once we renew this Fall, we will no longer have BOBJ.  We've been talking to Jive about how to get some of the same reports without it. Sadly CMR does not offer much detail and does not let us filter out Admin users, for instance.

We did talk to someone about Resonata, which was purchased by Jive, to see if that package could be enhanced in order for us analytics geeks to get better access to the data.

But I'm also interested in hearing about Qlikview. Would this be a stand-alone package that we would aim at our data that we've also downloaded to our servers or is this a SaaS?

Olu Adesida

Susan Fariss wrote:

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. We were told that once we renew this Fall, we will no longer have BOBJ.  We've been talking to Jive about how to get some of the same reports without it. Sadly CMR does not offer much detail and does not let us filter out Admin users, for instance.

What is going away this fall is support for BOBJ in Jive 4.5. I understand that BOBJ will still be supported in Jive 6x.

bchamberlain

Hi Susan --

The QlikView offer is an add-on module that sits on top of the Jive Analytics database. For Jive Customers that want extremely detailed views of the data, it is a great solution. It allows you to (in seconds) go from the highest level of detail to view what happened on a particular day, with a particular users, group, document, etc. In simple terms, if Jive tracks it, we can very quickly get to the detail.

I am happy to chat more and setup a demo for you if you are interested. Just let me know.

Bill Chamberlain

s_fariss

Bill:  When you say it sits on top of the Jives analytics database, is that the database Jive servers? Does QlikView then live on the Jive servers as well?

I'm also interested in hearing more from Josh about Jive Business Analytics.  Would this product allow us to pull the same types of reports we currently pull using BOBJ?  For instance, will we be able to filter out certain users and activity types for reports, or focus on activity with a specific Container?

I got folks above me expecting these numbers, so want to make sure my neck doesn't get stretched out too far. 

Susan Fariss

bchamberlain

The QlikView implementation is separate from Jive's.

You point our framework at the Jive Analytics database (locally on your

server or after downloading from the Jive Admin Server) and it pulls all of

your activity data into our model. From there, we can do further

configuration or customization if desired.

Since we have all the data and QlikView processes everything in memory, you

can very quickly get to granular details of data.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 7, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Susan Fariss <

ReeceO

We also implemented Bills QlikView solution. One of the main benefits for us is getting all of our analytics from one reliable source. Before the QlikView implementation, we would rely on many different sources which just didn’t make sense together (CMR, BOBJ, admin console reports). Our team sometimes use CMR for a quick sense of what’s going on in our community, but the QlikView implementation enables us to dive deep into activity analytics. As Bill mentions you can quickly filter down to what happened on a particular day, with a particular user, group, document, etc

Bill’s team created a dashboard like interface in QlikView. All our favourite reports are just a click away and can be easily filtered by date, place, activity type, geographical location and more. Since we are a global company we rely heavily on geographical data from user profiles. Bill and his team helped us streamline our user location data in QlikView making it more concise and easy to filter.

I would say QlikView speed is comparable to how you might filter a spread sheet in excel. It really is fast. This type of speed and responsiveness means you can actually explore the data and get to meaningful granular details rather than being limited to more static reporting templates.

an13743

We have implemented Bill's compay's solution with Qlikview and couldn't be happier with it. Aside from being much easier than BOBJ the data is much better and cleaner. Our only challenge has been that apparently Jive doesn't provide default permission group information in the Jive databases, so we really have no idea how many spaces have certain permissions applied to them. The other great thing about Qlikview in the way we implemented it if you have a very large site is that we were able to list spaces in a hierarchy view so we can easily tell where they live.