4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2007 7:28 AM by frasmus

cannot find Driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver during Clearspace Setup - mySQL

I could not complete the Clearspace setup. When I clicked the test button, I got the error that it could not find the mySQL/j Driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. There was a problem with my CLASSPATH environment variable.

I was told to go get the mySQL Connector/j JDBC driver for mySQL at this page:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/5.0.html

Then I extracted the driver to a folder on my server and since I am using a Windows 2000 server, I had to go into the System Control Panel and create the CLASSPATH variable and pointed to the path AND FILENAME as the value of the variable.

Seems like I did everything I was supposed to, but there was no getting around the error message.

Now because I couldn't wait any longer to begin using Clearspace, I selected the Jetty database and my next problem will be: How to switch from jetty to mySQL. The longer I go with jetty, the worse it will be when I make the switch and delete all the content I have created. Somebody please help!

• Re: cannot find Driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver during Clearspace Setup - myS
          aron.racho

I assume that by stating '... selected the Jetty database' you meant that you selected the embedded database during the Clearspace setup. There are a couple of steps and some options for resolving this issue:

1. After downloading the .zip file from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/5.0.html, extract the connector .jar file (mysql-connector-java-5.0.8-bin.jar), and place it into the \shared\lib directory inside your tomcat installation folder. When tomcat starts up, it will automatically add this .jar to its CLASSPATH, allowing the JVM which runs clearspace to use it. There is no need to manually add the .jar to your CLASSPATH, so you could undo it if necessary.

2. At this point, there are two options available: (a) migrate to the mySQL database, or (b) restart the Clearspace setup utility, and have it point to the mysql database.

(a) Migrate to the mySQL database from the embedded database.

- login into your mysql instance, and create an database (if you haven't already):

CREATE DATABASE <typeyourdbnamehere>

- login to clearspace as admin, (/clearspace/admin), and initiate a database migration under

System -> Import / Export -> Database Migration. Click start migration. A form

with JDBC parameters will appear.

- Pick the MySQL database driver preset, and for the particular

MSQL driver you downloaded, specify the JDBC Driver Class as org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver (instead of com.mysqljdbc.Driver). For username and password, you could use root with an empty password (these are mysql defaults). For the DatabaseURL, make sure to replace with the name of the machine hosting your mysql server instance, and to replace with the name of the database you specified above. Test the connection to make sure it works.

- If the connection test is successful, click 'Start Migration', wait for the process

to finish, and then restart tomcat. When it appears, you should be connected

to the new database.

(b) Restart the Clearspace setup utility.

- login to you mysql instance and create the database as described above, if you haven't already created a database.

- edit the jive_startup.xml file under your jiveHome directory, setting the value of the <setup> tag to false.

- Restart tomcat, and it should walk you through the clearspace setup routine again. make sure to use org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver as the name of the driver when you are specifying JDBC connection.

• Re: cannot find Driver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver during Clearspace Setup - myS

Thanks for the reply. You wrote:

extract the connector .jar file (mysql-connector-java-5.0.8-bin.jar), and place it into the \shared\lib directory inside your tomcat installation folder.

I wasn't aware that tomcat was the server, but looking at my file system I see that there are some tomcat tracks there. No folders called \shared\ though.

How about this folder:

C:\Program Files\netbeans-5.5.1\enterprise3\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\server\lib

Otherwise, I also have:

C:\Program Files\clearspace\server\lib

Would either of those work?

• Re: Restart the Clearspace setup utility.

One more thing concerning option b:

You wrote:

- edit the jive_startup.xml file under your jiveHome directory, setting the value of the <setup> tag to false.

The setup tag was already set to false. When I try to run setup, it sends me to the "Setup Already Run" page.

The "Setup Already Run" page says I can "delete the setup property from the jive_startup.xml file, restart your appserver then reload the setup tool."

I first tried deleting the "false" value of the property. Then I tried deleting the property altogether. Eventhough I restarted Clearspace and even tried re-booting the system, it still sends me to the "Setup Already Run" page.