20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 8:38 AM by james.ungerer+deactivated

Use case of "status update" vs "start discussion"

behoppe333

Hello everybody (e.g., Internal Communities)

How do you usually coach people in effective use of "status update" vs "start discussion"? I ask because I am noticing conversations happening on JC via comments to status updates. Sometimes these are short asides, but other times the status update is a substantive question that clearly begs for someone to respond. For example, EducationAre there any certfication tracks for e.g. developers, solution architects for Jive?...   I observe that Jive search does not return anything from status updates; and in general Jive makes it a lot easier to navigate to discussions happening via "start discussion" than to those happening via comments on a "status update." And so I am puzzled that people on JC ask questions via "status update." Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to "status update" as a vehicle for asking questions?

Thanks

• Re: Use case of "status update" vs "start discussion"
          Ryan Rutan

Here are a few of my opinions on the matter. =)

Using status updates are a great means for "meta-conversation", meaning "I know what I want to say, but dont know where to say it".  They are also a great mechanism to train community members to use to get the attention of people, where an @mention in content may not be appropriate.  I support heavily the use of them for these use-cases in the Jive Community. 

To your point, status updates in Jive 5 are not easily searched; however, this is not the case in Jive 6.  As a whole, one of the biggest issues I've seen the Jive product tackle in recent releases is content ubiquity.  No matter where information lies, document, conversations, blog posts, status updates, etc... Jive will find it and make it available.  Improvements in Jive 6 with Social Search (see: Karl Rumelhart) as well as future product features will further this cause.  The underlying idea IMO is to eliminate the mental hurdle of figuring out how to participate the "right way".  With content ubiquity, it shouldn't matter, as long as it can be found.

In addition to the product roadmap, I've been looking on my radar to build a utility that allows a community manager to take a status update thread and convert it to a discussion thread in a given container with attribution.  It's not a crazy concept, just not on the highest of my priorities at the moment. =\

I hope this helps explain my emphasis on Status Updates and why I am OK with conversations originating in a status update.  I normally will interject and recommend a place for a further discussion to be held; however, people will contribute how they are going to contribute.  As a community manager, I'll take their participation however I can get it at first, and will work with them over time to see the values in participating in the designated locations.  Our community will be upgrading to Jive 6 in the near future, at which point the main issues above should be resolved, or at least greatly reduced.

Thanks for taking the time to start this discussion....=)

FYI: External Communities The specified item was not found.

behoppe333

Thanks, Ryan. Very helpful and thought provoking. The notion "I know what I want to say, but don't know where to say it" reminds me of another question I have about my randomly selected example (EducationAre there any certfication tracks for e.g. developers, solution architects for Jive?...).

How is it that this status update got associated with the Education space?

When I create a status update, I do not see how to assign it to a space. Your comment makes me think I am not supposed to be able to assign it to a space. And yet that particular status update somehow comes with a connection to the Education space.

PS:

At the risk of starting a big tangent, I am really chewing on "eliminate the mental hurdle of figuring out how to participate the 'right way.'" IMO "participate the 'right way'" == "culture"; and human beings are never going to exist without culture. Also IMO we will always erect barriers to distinguish outsiders from members of a given culture. So I am having a fundamental brain cramp with your underlying idea, which I equate to dissolution of culture ("everyone is a member!"). On the other hand, when Jive is deployed in a culture that chooses to make content findable, and that chooses to search for content that is findable, then I translate your underlying idea as "support our culture with Jive" and I buy into that whole-heartedly.

Hi Bruce,

The way I teach these two content types is the following.  (Note:  I don't do a direct compare as they are used for different things.  I tend to compare discussions and direct messages.)

• Status Updates - quick notes on what is happening, query on where to ask something, etc.  Similar to tweets and status updates on Facebook.  I tend to give a real world example of a sticky note left on a desk or bulletin board.
                  • Discussions/Questions - full blown dialogues (discussion threads) or questions asked to the community looking for feedback.  While status updates have the availability for comments, it's not the main thought there.

To associate a status update with a space/group you simply can mention it like you would in any content.  For example:  Jive Training:  Are there any certification tracks?  This mention shows up in the Recent Activity widget on the space (if it's present). 

If you want to chat on the phone about it this week we can get on the line.

Ryan Rutan

Bruce, might want to check out the following link:

The specified item was not found.

It talks about how I made a Status Bar Widget that you can drop onto an overview page that automatically injects an @mention into the body for the current container.  It is a rudimentary way to associate the status update with a context, but it works.  Moving forward in Jive, targeting status updates to containers is definitely being worked on, but probably best to talk to Bill Lynch about when that will manifest in specific versions.

To clarify the "right way" comment, for new community users ... who do not know the "culture" of the community, many people are held up on the "I dont want to look out of place" and get caught up in that mindset rather than just asking the question.  It's sounds hypothetical, but it is a real mental hurdle.  It's not about ignoring the "culture" its about establish a norm within that culture that onboards new people into the bigger picture.

Hope this helps clarify a few of my comments. =)

hildew

A specific sub-use case for status updates that I've found very valuable in getting upper management and execs engaged and interacting is having them use as tweets to the community, their followers, etc. Execs who never get around to keeping up with blog posting and who don't want or need to get involved with a discussion thread, can share ideas, questions, painlessly... In fact, I've had many managers say to me, is there a way to tweet in Jive? Status updates is it (assuming they don't want to use their public Twitter account).

And for community building, nothing beats knowing your exec is in the community sharing information, ideas, questions you want to be in on.

Re who sees the status updates - Am I correct:

Anyone who follows?

Anyone who searches, even if not following?

I'd love a short demo on the ways that status updates get shared depending on where you are, how things are set up, etc.

Finally - I'm using 4.6 but soon to upgrade to 7. In my stuff > Status Updates, I only see the current one. Will I see a list of all my status updates in Jive 7?

karl.rumelhart

Hi Bruce,

To extend Ryan's comment, status updates are searchable.  In 5.0 there is a separate tab for them

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 9.34.58 PM.png

If you are curious, the reason that it was set up this way was that when the status updates are mixed together with other content, it can sometime be difficult to get good relevance rankings since the status updates tend to be so short.  Anyway, this is all worked out in 6.0  where they are mixed in but also available separately.

-Karl

behoppe333

Thanks James, Ryan, and Karl. All very helpful.

It was news to me that status updates are searchable. Good to know! I am mystified how I made it through a full Jive pilot without this fact sinking in before now.

My experience of status update comments being hard to find is based on (1) UI of search and (2) UI of activity page.

• Search: In my example below the search page says "no results" and I did not think to click on "status update" tab to see that there is a result there. Confusing UI in my opinion.
                        • Activity/preview: In my example below it's obvious how to get to the full-page discussion about "managing permissions on prior versions" (the title of the discussion is a link), but it is not-at-all-clear (to me) how to get to the full-page discussion about "why do people start discussions with status updates" (you have to click on the little "3 comments" link at the bottom).

Search on JC -- this looks like an empty search but there is a result in "status updates" tab if you know to look there

searching-content-not-status.PNG

Activity -- navigability of "managing permissions" is a lot more intuitive than navigability of "why do people start discussions with status updates" IMO

preview-of-discussion-vs-status.PNG

swolhorn

We're still running V 5.0.4 where you still can't specify the "where" that a status update should show.  (that is, you can't designate a specific space or group).  Is this now available in 6.0?  If not, what's the roadmap for making this available?  Thanks!

John Schwiller

FWIW something I just discovered in Cloud 2015.3, and I dont know when it was added, if it indeed was added.

When trying to deal with some status updates in a group where people had used status updates which then became a full-blown discussion, I looked at what happened when I turned of SUs in the group. I was expecting the existing SUs to disappear - but no, they are still visible and can be replied to. However the users can't create new SUs [either using Actions in the group, in the quick create menu on the Activity tile, or using Create at the site level and then trying to select the group.]

It seems to me that this behavior is different (and much appreciated) compared to other content type you might switch off - where switching off a content type causes existing content to be hidden (for example if you turn of documents).

Just sharing this is it didn't do what I expected .