4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 7:13 AM by jemjanik

Ratio of advocates to community members

jemjanik

Someone in my community asked me about what our peers do so I'm inquiring here.

We currently have 17 people identified as advocates of whom I'd say about 9 who actively advocate for a community of 70,723 with a typical month having 28k actively logging/reading + many reporting to only following along by email.  To give you an idea of where we are in the journey, Engage has been in existing for a little over 2.5 years now. We still grow about 50-100 new members each month still (company is roughly 76k employees) and only 10%  are contributors. 

So basically our advocate to member ratio is really small, and the need for them still exists.  I'm curious what other communities are like. 

• Re: Ratio of advocates to community members
          jessekane

You're not alone! We launched in April, 2012 to 15,000 users and have about 1,300 (<10%) unique users a day. That number is going up every month.

I have 10 people listed as advocates. There are two or three doing really great work to promote adoption in their departments. But overall they are not contributing to the community as a whole. And our business leads for the entire community (me at 75% and coworker at 30%) are struggling to find the resources to engage them further.

I'll be honest that I struggle a bit with the emphasis given on advocates to drive adoption through the grassroots approach.  I had success rolling out a different social media platform using the band-aid approach. One day, it was the new social intranet and what it replaced was no longer available. While that's the short version, let me tell you get a lot of adoption when people have no other options.

jemjanik

I often struggle to engage the non-active advocates further as they volunteer their time; it's in no way part of their full-time job description.  Interesting you should mention people are being forced to adopt in the other scenario with no other options.  One region just stopped all campus newsletters so my location has people coming out of the woodwork on how to make Engage work since there will be no support for anything else.

Melissa.Rosen

Jem, we have just rolled out enterprise-wide last week to approx. 55k users. We had a soft launch in May and have been building since then-- we are up to about 47k users logging in. December 3rd was our enterprise launch day. While I initially aimed to have 1% of our population sign up as advocates (I signed up ~550 advocates between December of last year and May 2012), I knew that only a subset would really be active and involved in the "grass roots" part of things . Many did get involved early in Jive and trained their teams and held "open houses" to tell their departments about using Jive.

Our Change Management team did a fantastic job of training a subset of these advocates (about 115) and making them visible during our rollout week to answer questions at their location and to give out branded swag. The CM plan included weekly meetings with these volunteers, training them, making them aware of the most likely asked questions, asking them to train others in their buildings/teams, and asking them to be visible during launch week to answer questions (set up in the cafeteria or another high traffic area). So, the question for us is, how to utilize advocates going forward? One observation I had is that even though 115 people were enthusiastic enough to volunteer to help during rollout, quite a number of them were very much newbies themselves. So, when I read that others have 9- 10 active advocates, I am assuming that they are actually folks who don't need hand-holding, which is a good thing. . I'm not sure in what capacity we'll use advocates going forward. I still think its a great idea to continue to leverage them & build that community, but am wondering where I'll get the bandwidth, since I've been thrust into "monitoring world". But that's another story.

jemjanik

Hmm interesting that you said your advocates were newbies.  You are right with our small number the advocates were the people who already just "get" social & didn't need hand holding at all.  Your success make me more confident of asking for volunteers in some of organizations that are contributing less and setting them up for success.