6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 10:05 AM by staceystith

Adding category or place to form functio

staceystith

Is there a way to add a category tag or automatically set where the form data goes?

I have a form set up on my main jive community that i want to automatically send the responses to a sub-space and tag with a category to show in a particular view.  I also would like to set up a few people to receive alerts when forms are created. I don't see this in the documentation.  Can anyone help?

Stacey Stith

513-459-3547

• Re: Adding category or place to form functio

Stacey, you can perhaps partially do what you would like with the app, but not entirely.  Let me try to dissect the specific things I think you are asking for and see where we go from there.

• Adding tags / categories to content:  Unfortunately at this time this is not a supported feature.  In Jive 5, the apps API does not allow for adding or modifying tags on content created by an app.  In Jive 6, this feature has been added, and will eventually be incorporated into a future version of the app, which is specific to Jive 6, but the current version of the app, which is compatible with Jive 5, it is unfortunately not an option.
            • Short answer:  tags will be available in a future version of the app, but only for Jive 6+
          • Notifying individuals of posted content:  This can be done, not automatically, but can be done by the user posting the form.  While there is nothing that can be hard-coded into the form to notify specific people, using the "userpicker" data field type in your form will allow Jive users to be included in the form content and those users will be @mentioned in the newly posted form content and will receive a notification in the inbox that they have been mentioned.
            • Short answer: @mention can be included in content, via the userpicker data field type, and those selected users (in the form) will be notified
          • Posting content to a specific place:  This can be none, not from within the form itself, but it can be done via a URL that is accessed to initialize the app.  There are 4 parameters that can be set (used in pairs of 2, as shown below) that can be used to control the following which template is initially selected and where the content is posted.  The parameters are as follows:
            • category / template - used to pre-select the template for the app
            • locationType / locationId - used to pre-select where the template content will be posted
            • Short answer:  Using a specific URL, you can direct the app where to post a piece of content, rather than letting the user select a place.

How to build a URL which opens a specific template and posts to a specific place

Here is an example URL which does just that, here in the Jive Community - https://community.jivesoftware.com/apps/ps-formbuilder#canvas:{"category":"My Templates","template":"ABC Template","locationType":"group","locationId":"4432"}

Breaking that down into its components as follows:

Try out the full link, and let me know how it works out for you.  https://community.jivesoftware.com/apps/ps-formbuilder#canvas:{"category":"My Templates","template":"ABC Template","locationType":"group","locationId":"4432"}

Hopefully that helps.  If you have further questions, feel free to post them here.  Thanks.

carly.wennogle

Robert Fernandes wrote:

• Adding tags / categories to content:  Unfortunately at this time this is not a supported feature.  In Jive 5, the apps API does not allow for adding or modifying tags on content created by an app.  In Jive 6, this feature has been added, and will eventually be incorporated into a future version of the app, which is specific to Jive 6, but the current version of the app, which is compatible with Jive 5, it is unfortunately not an option.
                • Short answer:  tags will be available in a future version of the app, but only for Jive 6+

Robert Fernandes , Regarding the above, do you know if this is now available in the cloud version of the forms app? The cloud is Jive 6, right?

At this time, even though Jive 6 does in fact support adding tags to content via an app, the current version of the app does not support this.  The version of the app that currently is in the apps market is compatible with Jive 5 and Jive 6, which means it is not currently using the content creation part of the Jive 6 API.  Embedded content (the !app functionality) has been added to the app and is the sole part of the app that works in Jive 6 but not in Jive 5.

Now, in an upcoming version there will be a move over to full Jive 6 support, which will include tags.  But this likely will not hit the market until late January.  It is in fact coming, but not quite yet.

1 person found this helpful