10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 6:41 AM by jemjanik

Do you disable "inactive" users?

saramiller

Hi there. I'd like to establish some sort of benchmark for disabling "inactive" users. Do any of your currently disable users after X-amount of time of inactivity? If you do, what's your criteria? Any ideas on how you approach this issue is very appreciated! Thanks! Sara

• Re: Do you disable "inactive" users?
          Ted Hopton

Hi Sara,

IMO this is a terrible idea. There is actually a Jive property that can do this automatically, and since we were not told about it we had terrible problems with rarely active members trying to participate only to find that they were locked out. Not a good user experience, frustrating for the admins to have to trouble-shoot and correct. Assuming these are your employees, since you are posting in the Internal Community Managers group, why would you want to cause your members and admins such pain?

crossman

Unless there is some sort of really important financial/license consideration I agree with Ted Hopton, there are many reasons why this will cause pain for users and admins alike.

saramiller

Thank you for that feedback.

So, would I assume correctly that neither of your communities ever disable users for any length of inactivity? (Assuming you might disable users for other reasons, such as violations of the site's useage policy, leaving the company, etc.?)

crossman

All current employees have access. We disable accounts when the people leave the company.

We have never had to "ban/disable" anyone for "abuse" reasons. Though we did have a VP get a stern talking to by HR after a culturally insensitive blog post (I personally didn't think it was all that insensitive, and neither the VP nor the guy who complained were American).

Ted Hopton

Apples and oranges, Sara. Disabling for inactivity, we never do that. When someone leaves the company, we have strict policies to disable immediately, just as their email, shared server and key card access is. We have never had to disable anyone for violating the site's usage policy and we are in our fifth year. Those things just don't happen, in my experience, in an employee community, and if there is an issue then HR deals with it (see above where we disable access if the employee leaves the company).

Are you asking these questions in advance of launching your community? If so I just want to reassure you that employee communities are not like external communities where you can have users who feel emboldened by their anonymity. Most employees want to keep their jobs :-)

ashleysokal

We do disable users after 6 months, which happens nightly, and this was a conscious decision. This helps us ensure when people leave or retire that they are disabled. We also thought it would be a way to keep our "active" user count down for licensing purposes, but after doing this for about a year now, it doesn't look like that actually makes any difference - I believe Jive has a way of differentiating between truly active users and ones who haven't logged in in a long time, though i don't know any specifics on that. I am basing this guess on the fact that our licensing update numbers for active users are not the same as the numbers of enabled users.

The workaround we have for re-enabling users who can no longer get in is that we added a phrase substitution for the login.err.account_disabled.text key which gives us the ability to make the error message that is returned more robust advising them that they can't get in because they haven't logged in in over 6 months, and it also provides a link for them to email the administrator to log back in.

Issues we have seen are that when you re-enable the user, they must log in on that same day, as our system disables nightly users who haven't logged in in 6 months +, if they don't, it just re-disables them. Once they are re-enabled we are able to send another welcome email with information about our instance, info on profile pic rules, where to get help, etc.

I see it as a benefit to disable users after they haven't logged in in such a long time. It is a small burden on the admin side, but i find they often make the comment that they won't do that again - it almost brings some awareness to them that this is something they should be using more regularly.

My two cents!

ycheong

We would also never disable users for periods of inactivity - it's already an uphill battle getting some people to use a new system. The last thing we want to do is lock them out!

alewis

Hi Sara:

Agree with all responses above. Only disable a user if they leave the company.  And also adding more data to Ted's response, I have never had to disable an active employee due to an HR violation. Many are frightened of this occurring when a new community launches but it doesn't happen.

Just out of curiosity are you looking to disable active employees due to licensing costs?  Or is there another reason?

jemjanik

We use the out of the box SAML solution now available and it will actually re-enable a login that was inactive the first time the person logs in again.  We have the automatic properly set to inactive members after one year.  We also regularly mark logins inactive as people disappear from our corporate directory.  Previously, we had a custom plugin to point people to open a ticket to be re-enabled if their entry disappeared improperly from the directory (sometimes names changes would cause an issue for example) or they hadn't logged in for over a year.  Once we switched to the out of the box SAML we didn't need the plugin anymore.  The people "locked out" issue dropped to basically not happening anymore.  Something to consider if you use SAML.