8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 10:45 AM by daniel.neumann

How to connect Jive users from different firms in Latin America?

Very quick question - is there anyway we can create a group for Latin American users of jive? I have two colleagues, one from Puerto Rico, and one from Argentina, who work at two different firms implementing Jive internally , and would love a place to collaborate on best practices, etc. Is there a way we could do that, Ryan Rutan?

• Re: How to connect Jive users from different firms in Latin America?
          Ryan Rutan

Jen,

Ideally, they could use one of the existing regional groups such as:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/groups/argentina

Do they wish to converse in Spanish rather than English? If so, please advise them that most of the community speaks English as a primary, and sharing conversations publicly using these other languages (while technically supported) will cut the population of people who are able to join the conversation.

If English is the preferred language, then confused about the topics being discussed and why they wouldn't apply to one of our existing locations, such as:

https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/business

Any more insights you could share?

RR

Hi Ryan Rutan thanks for getting back to me! Yes, these colleagues would be more comfortable speaking Spanish, although I will direct them towards the group in Argentina. I was wondering if there was any interest in creating a Spanish-speaking subspace for some of these regional groups? I work for Social Edge Consulting, and we always recommend the Jive community as a resource. However, some of the community managers we work with aren't as comfortable speaking English, and as Social Edge branches out beyond the US, we were wondering if there was any interest in/possibility of language-centric groups. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask - thanks again!

Ryan Rutan

Jen,

Definitely not against the concept; however, it does pose a dynamic in the community that would be some what orphaned, hence my reluctance to just create a new space.  When we start to look at conversation places in the JC, there is even a further subset when you consider language for each topic.  My concern is creating a place that will kind of an island (in terms of how it fits in with the rest of the community structure).  If possible, let's give it a shot in the Argentina group.  If your colleagues really take hold, then we can look to accelerate plans that are on the books for after 2013 to create a formal multi-lingual JC that includes both IA as well as process and accountability for up-keep.  The latter two are the most important to make sure that it's not just another place to chat.  =)

Let me know how it goes … =)

RR

tmaurer

I'd also recommend that if they are using Chrome, people in the group (be they native English or native Spanish) can use the Google Translate extension to auto-translate the page. While not perfect, it has allowed our community to interact better. Ted Hopton will often chime in on a thread written in Chinese, for example. And I think you can get the same extension for other browsers as well.

Thanks, Tracy - I'll pass that tip along!

Andrew Kratz

Ryan Rutan,

First, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!  I wanted to provide a bit of context as Jen and I have been working this topic for a couple of months along with Margarita (ccd below) Margarita is a community manager focusing on Latin America at her company and we were discussing adoption techniques as all CM's will do several months ago. I was telling her about the power of user groups.  One of my concerns was that although there are lot of end-users of Jive in Latin America they are often not part of the core team responsible for the rollout so they don't always know about this jive community as a resource to interact with those from the same countries. 

Jen is working with a client of ours right now based in NY but is specifically working with an HR users out of Argentina who is trying to leverage Jive.  In his case, he just feels more comfortable discussing in Spanish and he was pretty pumped up when we connected him with Margarita to talk Jive in Spanish.

I agree with you that we don't need a place specific to a language.   I think if we have places for Latin America region or specific countries that is the right way to go as you have set-up and stated.  Within that place they can speak English,  local language or whatever makes sense to get their points across.  As you said, the more English they use the more outsiders can participate an help.  Tracy's techniques of machine translation would be effective as well.  

I think the big point I didn't want everyone to lose sight of is that the challenge and opportunity here is that there are end users of multi-national companies in Latin America that might not be on this Jive community.  If community managers based at the home office in the US, UK, where-ever, can encourage their key users from Latin America to join this Jive Community and those user groups they can then help each other and drive adoption probably more effectively than a home office CM that might not have a full appreciation of the culture and local challenges   It certainly can't hurt. 

Thanks,

Andrew Kratz

Social Edge

cc Fernando De Allende, Margarita Giraldo Albert Caravelli

Ryan Rutan

Agree 100%.  My biggest concern (which is not a show stopper) is making sure that whatever is done is supported and supported well.  From my end, the only person that comes to mind is daniel.neumann that participates in the community and speaks Spanish, but he definitely isnt the only one.  I need to find others and rally people from Jive to get bought in and commit to participating in these Spanish speaking places to make sure that they do not go dormant.  If we want to coordinate a massive surge of Spanish speaking participants into the JC, something like a co-op onboarding event..I'd be down to help make that happen.  As I'm sure partners like Juan Carlos Martinez from Latinware would be too.  Let me know, in the end, the Jive community will always be a function of its constituents, so let's bring them into the fold and see what they need to be successful. =)

daniel.neumann

I second Ryan about using English for engaging more people and get better feedback, although I totally understand the language barrier is playing against those CM that do not speak English.

I believe the right way to go is by using translation utilities, like Tracy mentioned. Spanish-English works pretty well through automatic translation, set aside some funny sentences

There are global customers out there translating specific resources to several languages in their own Jive instances, but in general keeping a standard language as base (usually English). But that is an approach applicable to a use case where you have a source of knowledge which you are sharing, not for the collaborative place Jive Community is.

The only reason I could think of for Latin American groups where language is Spanish, is for deep cultural topics for admins that do not apply to other latitudes, or maybe translation related topics (which I would still keep in English with examples in Spanish).