1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 5:11 AM by paulstimpson

Images disappearing on publish

paulstimpson

Hi,

I'm working on an instruction manual for my customer and I've been asked to prepare it on their hosted Jive platform. I'm having terrible trouble with the latest document.

The documents are very graphics-heavy (one screenshot for each line of text). The process is organised as a bullet list with the text and graphics occupying bullet points. My first smallish document went fine but the current one is exhibiting strange behaviour. Iv edit, I can see all the screenshots fine. I can save and continue fine. As soon as I publish, the images disappear and are replaced by a line of text containing the filename. When I hit edit again, the images reappear in the edit window. I'm on the same computer but they take time to load so I think they're coming off the net rather than from my local HD.

The project runs in Linux and I am editing using Firefox 18.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit. The photos are in PNG format, are all under 200k and none of them bust the pixel dimension limits. I've tried both dragging the photos in from the file manager and dropping them onto the page and using the image upload button. The result is the same.

This is becoming a significant impediment to my ability to deliver a quality product on time and, if I can't fix it quickly, I'm going to move the project off Jive onto my business' own CMS.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour please? I would welcome any suggestions of how to get round it.

Thanks,

Paul.

Update: I just got my colleague to look at end edit the document on his Windows machine (Firefox) and he can see the images in edit too so they are definitely on the server. I also tried it in Chrome on Linux and the images display as empty outlines with the filenames in them. Also tried in IE on Windows and it displays a broken-image symbol in the box. The boxes in IE and Chrome are the right sizes for the images in the document, so something is working.

• Re: Images disappearing on publish
          paulstimpson

Hi,

We found the cause of the breakage. The files are being generated by the Linux Screenshot tool and, by default, it names the files according to the date and time they were taken (e.g. "Screenshot from 2013-01-08 16:41:56.png"). It seems that the special characters in it (Not sure if it's the " ", the "-" or the ":") are acceptable to the Jive editor (It lets you upload and work with them) but aren't acceptable to the renderer, causing the published document to fail to render the graphic both in HTML and PDF. Renaming the files to "1.png", "2.png", etc, before upload fixes the problem.

How do I file a bug please? Either the renderer should work with these files or the editor shouldn't allow them to be uploaded.

Thanks,

Paul.