7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 11:45 AM by jsummers

Newsletter as Document or Blog?

rclee@fdbhealth.com

Hi all,

I'm new to Jive and am trying to implement our weekly email newsletter into Jive. The newsletter is currently laid out with an "index" at the top that links to each article within the newsletter. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether to implement this as a document or blog? At the surface, both methods seem to be about the same. Additionally, would you break up the articles into different documents/blogs and consolidate with links or just keep it all in one document/blog?

Thanks for your help!

-Roger

• Re: Newsletter as Document or Blog?
          daniel.marotta

Hi Roger,

I would use blogs for the simple reason that the URL is SEO-friendly. I would also recommend publishing one blog that was used at the "Table of Content" and linked to the individual [blog] articles.

For example, let's say you have five articles in this month's newsletter. I would publish each of the five articles on their own as blogs. Then I would create a master blog that teased up the five articles with a link to Read More. The master blog is what I would promote to my readers through outbound marketing, social channels etc

-Dan

rclee@fdbhealth.com

Thanks, Dan.

The only concern I have with this approach is that people like to scan the articles and not necessarily the top 200 characters. Is there a way to have a view that shows all the blogs in a certain order that is not "custom" so that people can do that scanning?

Thanks!

-Roger

daniel.marotta

Will the blogs be published in the same Space or by the same Author?

If yes, use the RSS widget and set the 'Show Full Content' to Yes. Place the RSS widget on your homepage or a custom page.

Claudine

Hi Roger,

I've been following this thread. Another suggestion similar to the RSS widget is to use the "Watch a tag" widget to get a list that users could scan by title. You would need to choose a unique tag (e.g., newsletter) and apply it to each newsletter blog post. We use that approach in one of our spaces for monthly patch reports and it works well.

Claudine

rclee@fdbhealth.com

Hi Claudine,

Thanks for replying and good suggestion.

The use case I have is to create a library of sorts and wanted to be able to show these in chronological order, not by when they were added to Jive, but by the date of the file/post. I'm not sure I can do this, but was trying.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this...I'm now thinking of each article being its own post and creating a pared down newsletter that links to it along with a manually generated/maintained blurb tied to each title. More work than I was thinking, but this may be the long term solution. In the mean time, (very cool), I realized that if I upload a .pdf, the content within is also indexed for searching! This is my solution for old newsletters and potentially the short term while I get my thoughts in order!

Thanks again!

-Roger

jsummers

Roger,

I have use both blogs and documents  to publish in my 5 years of using Jive. I have found that best results was in documents but we used document in HTML fashion that way I could embed content like registration form along with the design the news letter team required due to the newsletter at current state was formatted a specify design. Google NetApp tech ontap.

Save you blogs for your thought leadership content. Even better in you news letter link to blogs and other content. Also each article in you new HTML jive doc should link back to another doc with the full article. This will help out your seo and maximize your content.

Good luck.