11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 2:31 PM by mark_h_intel

email notifications disabled after 30 days of inactivity?

mnevill

I am trying to figure out how I missed this and why I never heard of it before.  Apparently there is a feature named “recency” that checks to see if a user has logged in within the last 30 days and if not it will stop sending them email notifications for everything (things they opted into email notifications for, tracked items, weekly digest, everything else).  Has anyone else heard of this, and has it caused any problems?

• Re: email notifications disabled after 30 days of inactivity?
          jjohnsonf1

I had not heard of this. It'd be good to know if there is a system property or a way to disable or change the time limit, though. (Our community has lots of very welcome lurkers and we rely on email digests to keep them engaged.)

arose

Hi Matt-

I recently learned of this myself when internal members of my community reported that they were no longer receiving the email alerts they signed up for.  It has caused some problems because some members rely on the email alerts and the "reply by email" functionality to monitor and participate in the community  As a result, they stopped getting notifications.

According to Jive support, it's not a system property but there is a way to disable it.  Here's what they told me.

...it can be disabled by opening up the core.json file (/usr/local/jive/services/eae-service/etc) and changing this:

"user-recency-enabled" : true,

to

"user-recency-enabled" : false,

They cautioned, however, that disabling this could cause performance issues (depending on how many users there are that haven't signed in within the 30 day window).  Because of this, I left the setting alone for now, but if anyone did go-ahead and disable it I'd be interested in the impact they saw on performance.

Regards,

Andy

1 person found this helpful
                by255005

Thanks for the information.

Was this seen on Jive 5 and/or Jive 6 ?

Regards,

Bruce

mnevill

I was told I could open a support ticket to get it disabled on our hosted instance (5.0.2), but I wanted to get feedback from others if that caused a problem or if they got a lot of complaints from users not getting e-mails by leaving it enabled.  There are some use cases we are pushing where this needs to be disabled, but I am a little worried if it causes performance issues. 

shanerogers

I just had this thread pointed out to me yesterday by our Community Manager (Chris Ewald)  . I'm working with Jive Support to confirm how this works for our Jive 5.0.2 hosted community. I have a few users (from my team) that haven't logged into Jive in 4 months (based on the Last Login Date on their Jive Profile) but still received last week's email digest. We also CONSISTENTLY see a lift in Active Community Members each week after the weekly digest goes out. I don't think we would see a lift in Active members in the Community Managers Reports (CMR) if the digest email was only being sent to members that had accessed the Community in the last 30 days (they would already be Active).

And frankly having such a short cutoff of 30 days feels 'wrong'. The email digest, at least for our community, is a VERY effective method of getting them to come back to the community. If the Recency setting didn't send emails to users that have been set to Disable, that's makes perfect sense! Our default setting is that users that haven't logged in within 12 months are set to Disable.

mnevill

We are running 5.02 also, and e-mails definitely stopped for us.  I posted what I was told from Support.  If you hear anything different please come back and update this post to let us know.  Just as an update we had it disabled shortly after my last response and have not seen any performance issues.

shanerogers

Jive support found the cause of our situation. While the user-recency-enabled was set to true for us, the user-recency-timeout was missing from our core.json file. So our users were still receiving the emails.

I can also see why this setting may cause performance impacts. It turns off the creation of the Activity Streams which are used for the email digest but more importantly for the streams displayed on the site. I missed this connection earlier. We are also setting our user-recency-enabled=false.

Here is a link to the Jive Documentation that has the user-recency fields described.

mnevill

We are in the middle of our upgrade from Jive 5.02 to Jive 7.0.2 and it does not look like this setting is preserved.  If you had recency disabled before you will need to mention it to Jive support/hosting to take care of when you go live.  Also, just to provide an update, we have had no issues with having recency disabled in an external community of approximately 10,000 users, so it is safe to do as far as I can tell.