4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 8:55 AM by the_topher

Does a user get anything "extra" by following a project?

susanprice

If I'm a member of a Group, and not following its Project, and the Project owner sets an announcement, do I get notified of the Project Announcement in my stream?

If I do get notified even though I'm not a Project follower, then what (if any) benefits are there to my following the Project?

This leads me to wonder: If a user is going to get all the notifications of Project activity simply by being a member of the Project's Group, then what compels them chose to follow the project?

Many Thanks!!

• Re: Does a user get anything "extra" by following a project?
          tyler.whitesides

Hello,

I noticed that you posted this as a Discussion.  I would recommend posting this as a Case so that it is entered in for our Support team to take a look at. Support Cases are monitored, but Discussions like these are not.  Cases vs Discussions in the Jive Community

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tyler

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Does a user get anything "extra" by following a project?
            susanprice

After testing with a teammate, I have come to these conclusions:

True, if a user is a member of a group, which has a project that he/she is not following, and there is activity happening at the project level (like a new page is added, or a new comment is made to an existing item in the project), then the user will receive an update (in his/her Activity Stream > All Followed) of activity happening in the project (even though the user is not following the project), because a project is a child of the group, and when you add any new content to the project it will show up in the activity feed of group members.

This behavior does not incentivize users to follow the projects in the group to which they are members, because there's nothing extra in it for them ... or is there something extra ...

However, if a user is a member of a group, which has a project that he/she is not following, and a new announcement is set at the project level, then the user will not receive a message in his/her message stream unless he/she is a follower of that project!

This behavior does incentivize users to follow the project in the group to which they are members, otherwise they will miss out on project-level announcements.

So, yes, a user does get "extra" communications if he/she is a project follower and a member of the group in which the project lives, than if he/she is a group member only.

Hope this helps anyone else out there wondering the same thing. In our group, we are using Project containers for Team Buckets, and disregarding all project-like features. Instead, we are using each container to hold sprint team-specific information, including team-specific announcements. But this won't be effective if members of the sprint team are members of the group, but not following their team container.