5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 8:57 AM by sunilkcs

Passing parameters to action class.

sunilkcs

Hi

I have added a link to "blog-actions" and passing a parameter "blogid"  in that action class. How can i retrieve the parameter in my action class. This is my plugin.xml file

<plugin xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.jivesoftware.com/schemas/clearspace/2_5/plugin.xsd">

<name>jiveplugin</name>

<description>jiveplugin</description>

<author></author>

<version>1.0.0</version>

<minServerVersion>4.5</minServerVersion>

<maxServerVersion>5.0.99</maxServerVersion>

<!-- you will want to change your class name here! -->

<class>SamplePlugin</class>

<components> 

<component id="blog-actions">

<tab id="blog-actions-tab">

<item id="createsr" name="Create SR">

<url>

<![CDATA[<@s.url action='createsr'>

<@s.param name='blog' value='${blog.ID?c}'/>

</@s.url>]]>

</url>

</item>

</tab>

</component>

</components>

My struts.xml file which maps the action to java class.

<!DOCTYPE struts PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 2.0//EN"

"http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-2.0.dtd">

<struts> 

<package name="example-actions" namespace="" extends="community-custom"> 

<!-- Map the action name, sayhello, to the action class, SimpleAction. --> 

<action name="createsr" class="com.example.clearspace.plugin.action.SimpleAction"> 

<!-- Specify the FTL file that should be used to present the data in the case of 

a "success" result (the default for an action class). --> 

<result name="success">/plugins/jiveplugin/resources/templates/simple-template.ftl</result> 

</action> 

</package> 

</struts>

how can i retrieve the passed 'blogid' (in the plugin.xml file) in my "SimpleAction" java class. Kindly help me. Thank You.

• Re: Passing parameters to action class.
          manish0109

You need to create setter and getter in your action class

Create a variable in your action class as

private String blogid;

and create setter and getter functions.

• Re: Passing parameters to action class.
            sunilkcs

Hi Munish

I am able to retrieve the blogid  in my action class. I added few more lines of code in my "getMessage" function in my Java Action class. This is what referenced from my template file. Please see the template file.

<html> 

<head> 

<!-- Create a FreeMarker variable for the page title bar text, then 

use that variable in the <title> element. --> 

<#assign pageTitle="Hello World" /> 

<title>${pageTitle}</title> 

<content tag="pagetitle">${pageTitle}</content> 

</head> 

<body> 

<!-- Have the message appear a little down on the page and 

in the center, so it's easier to find. --> 

<br/> 

<p align="center">${message}</p> 

</body> 

</html>

I am getting  this error

Expression message is undefined on line 13, column 29 in plugins/jiveplugin/resources/templates/simple-template.ftl.

The problematic instruction:

----------

==> ${message} [on line 13, column 27 in plugins/jiveplugin/resources/templates/simple-template.ftl]

----------

Java backtrace for programmers:

----------

freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: Expression message is undefined on line 13, column 29 in plugins/jiveplugin/resources/templates/simple-template.ftl.

at freemarker.core.TemplateObject.assertNonNull(TemplateObject.java:124)

at freemarker.core.Expression.getStringValue(Expression.java:118)

at freemarker.core.Expression.getStringValue(Expression.java:93)

at freemarker.core.DollarVariable.accept(DollarVariable.java:76)

at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:213)

at freemarker.core.MixedContent.accept(MixedContent.java:92)

at freemarker.core.Environment.visit(Environment.java:213)

at freemarker.core.Environment.process(Environment.java:193)

at com.jivesoftware.community.web.struts.FreemarkerResult.doExecute(FreemarkerResult.java:126)

If i remove the additional lines of code added in "getMessage" function. It works perfectly. If i add some more line of code (Which basicallly access API's from another application), I am getting above error. No other changes made... What could be the reason here ?