10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 12:59 PM by the_topher

Does anyone have any good ideas how to use Status Level for "manual gamification"?

iGirlx

I have a challenge posted from one of my Execs --- Can we use our current Status Level to entice others to join in our communities and drive adoption?  We don't have the Gamification module turned on yet and waiting until our version upgrade.  In the meantime, I think that we can set the strategy for using our status level to reward and "incentivize" our end-users.  An example that am thinking is for everyone (first 5 people) that has provided good discussions and came up with a good respond from their community members, they get an iPad!  Anyone has any ideas how you are using your Status levels without the gamification module in place?  Please share your ideas, thoughts, feedback and I may just send you a reward (i.e. free DIRECTV hookup).

• Re: Does anyone have any good ideas how to use Status Level for "manual gamification"?
          cflanagan17

Miriam, I just saw this. You may want to post a question like this in the future in one of either two targeted communities Internal Communities and External Communities to get focused experts to help.

But, on this point, I'll refer you to a few threads where this came up (using Jive out of the box points / status levels).  Unfortunately a few of these threads seem to have lost the "images" of status levels contributed by users, but you get the gist.

Re: User Status Points & Badges

Inspiring titles for status levels

Status Levels - Looking for Best Practices

Hope that helps!

• Re: Does anyone have any good ideas how to use Status Level for "manual gamification"?
            the_topher

Miriam,

People are generally motivated by 2 things:

1. Status

2. Things

So, your plan of awarding an iPad is a great one - and one that has been recently done, though somewhat similar, by Ryan Rutan in Celebrate Community Manager Appreciation Day and Win an #CMAD iPad Mini!.  Plus, for status, there was a badge provided.  I really liked how Ryan explained the process he used to select the winner.  Maybe that can help you.

Also, as mentioned above, the Top Participants is a good way for people with competitive tendencies to see that they are not "on top" as it were.  This can serve to motivate them to participate more as well.

When our company implemented our Jive instance, I remember 2 things that motivated me (and I am a top participant company wide now):

1. in our business units (spaces) we had trivia type contests (business related) - a discussion item was asked - first person to respond correctly or drawing from correct responses won a gift card ($10)

2. another strategy: THING and Status - top participant for the month - gift card ($25) - this was communicated to the entire business unit = STATUS (recognition)

I am taking over the management of that same space now and I will keep you in mind as I think of other strategies to enhance engagement.

Good Luck!

1 person found this helpful
                iGirlx

Hi Christopher,

Great comment about what truly motivates people.  It is the foundation of games and how people react to it.  I will keep these in mind in designing our gamification strategy.  Keep your ideas coming since am sure others (i.e. Shirlin Hsu and Steve Shultz ) that just implemented their Jive communities are also looking for something that helps drive adoption - co-erced or not.  

Ted Hopton

I have to chime in to disagree with the rather simple explanation of what motivates people. Take a look at books like Drive by Daniel Pink or Nudge by Thaler and Sunstein. People are much more complex than you suggest, Christopher, and I fear that if you use a simplistic model you will miss out on opportunities for far richer engagement from your community members.

the_topher

Ted,

I see your point.  And, certainly I agree that people and the nature of their motivation can be a very complex situation.  My initial reaction was that of a simple and effective "what can I do now" approach. 

Any application of general tendencies is still general, right?  Although I have not read the books you mentioned (I'l add them to my ever growing list), I do understand that motivation can be complex.  This is likely a separate project or collaborator to help build and foster engagement opportunities.  The far richer engagement you refer to is the result of a collaborative approach or at least one that involves a different level of engagement than that being asked of in the original question.

Thank you for the book references.  I will look them up so I can include them in my own strategies.

thebryceswrite

Miriam, great question. And a bit timely for something we've done internally recently. We created a time-boxed "gamification" experience to help people learn the new features within Jive 5, as well as get familiar with the benefits of "Working Out Loud" (aka Social business, Social collaboration, etc.). And we leveraged the built-in points to make it work. Here was the main gist of it:

1. We asked 60 volunteers from various parts of the company to team up into 30 teams of 2 to participate in what we called "The Amazing Race".
                    2. We built our own missions with different "tasks" that spanned 3 days. The missions were built around using various features and reflecting on how to apply those to how they work. Many of the tasks required two people to evaluate the following / stream / notification / workflow outcomes of various features and activities.
                    3. And of course I complemented it with some funny Amazing Race / Mission Impossible style videos.
                    4. We assigned each person Jive project tasks for each mission daily (wasn't overly difficult to create and replicate using the task import feature). And as they marked their tasks complete, they earned the Jive status points out of the project area. This kept the task points separate from the participation points they earned in the "Amazing Race" space, allowing us to measure each distinctly.
                    5. People could also earn "bonus" points by completing special missions that were a little more advanced and rewarded more exploration than following written directions.
                    6. We kept a daily leaderboard of progress of the teams. We used the Community Manager reports feature to count points earned in the group (for their activity level) and in completing their tasks (reports from the project level). Of course the results were displayed by teams, not individuals. So they kept each other motivated to keep going.
                    7. The only prize we offered was their choice between 1) A 2 hr "social business / Jive" workshop from me and my team for their full teams or 2) The ability to run their own local Amazing Race experience with their department.

The engagement for those first 60 was off the charts. People that were somewhat "social skeptics" really did a great job and had some lightbulbs go off for how to apply to their respective work areas. Plus it helped us spread the word more.

It took a little work to facilitate and organize, but we've built it in such a way that it is fairly re-usable without a ton of overhead. So are going to start using it with various teams / departments around the company as an adoption technique.

So not a long-term solution due to some of the management, but for time-boxed and targeted learning opportunities, it worked pretty well for us and we plan to begin offering it on demand to other parts of our business where their leadership are supportive of taking 3-5 hours over 3 days for a fun, engaging learning opportunity.

1 person found this helpful