13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 2:45 AM by jose.gonzalez

How to create a useful home page

jose.gonzalez

Hi!

We are in the process of redesigning our home page and I was wondering what do you think it is more important for your home page. As for our community I got this 3 basic ideas I want to put on the home page:

- Where you can go: Spaces and groups

- How and where you can get help

- Enjoy sharing!

What was your approach? Did you recently change your home page?

Thanks!

• Re: How to create a useful home page
          ycheong

That sounds about right. Other things you may want to consider:

-- company news

-- popular / trending tags

-- popular content

-- anything in particular you'd like to promote? e.g., complete profiles

As to help content, in addition to the "basics," you'll notice that people ask the SAME question(s) over and over -- sometimes, multiple times in the same day!!! --  so you should definitely make sure you have a link to that answer / instructions from the home page.

1 person found this helpful
            deeparamesh

Hi Jose Maria Gonzalez Vazquez

We changed our homepage design 3 months after launching and we continue to monitor and tweak where necessary.

What you have suggested above are great. I also agree with Yen Cheong's suggestions. Our community has

*A Global news section

*A 'Hot Spot' /'What's New section'

*Links to the most important spaces/groups such as your key departments, support & feedback, Region spaces, 'Unanswered questions widget', blog round up. We also include a tip of the day at the top.

I think its important to know what people are looking for and to get feedback from users. So perhaps add a poll and ask something like 'What else would you like to see on our homepage'

Hope that helps!

jasonrood80

I'm pretty new to SBS but our Jive platform has been in action for a number of years.  We try and slowly keep it updated, but at the heart of of homepage is a few key elements:

1. New User training links(we created) on how to personalize homepage and avatar
              2. General Jive knowledge like groups vs spaces and how to post discussions and documents
              3. Links to our site support and Q&A space
              4. Links to our more advanced in house training materials and videos
              5. Links to Jive training
              6. Community lists
              7. Links to Surveys (topics change monthly)
              8. RSS feed from our executive

Sounds like a lot of material, but we accommodate a very very wide range of users.  We hope for a soft-landing-start homepage for new users just begining their SBS experience.

jose.gonzalez

And what about a multilingual home page? Anybody have an idea on how to solve this? I can think in two alternatives:

- Duplicating widgets (but then the home page looks a bit crowded)

- Adding a translation to the same widgets (but then the titles are huge)

Any ideas?

mpallia

I’d suggest the easy button.  Add a button to the Jive chrome or use a browser plug in that allows the end user the option to translate where needed.  We really liked the Google Chrome plug in, but it doesn’t work on our IE browsers.

jessekane

I am out of the office until 02/05/2013.

I will be out of the office on Monday, February 4 and will respond to your

message when I am back in the office on Tuesday. If this is urgent, please

contact Angela Devore.

Thanks and have a great day.

Note: This is an automated response to your message  "[Internal Community

Managers] New message: "How to create a useful home page"" sent on

02/04/2013 8:33:19.

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

jessekane

contact Angela Devore.

02/04/2013 8:08:13.

jose.gonzalez

I found one possible solution to have bilingual content, the only problem is that you have to use HTML widgets. The idea is to have to div elements. Then you have a script like this one

<div id="bienvenida_en" style="display: none">Welcome</div>

<div id="bienvenida_es" style="display: none">Bienvenidos</div>

<script language="javascript">

var language = window.navigator.userLanguage || window.navigator.language;

if (language.indexOf("es")==0){

$j("#bienvenida_es").show();

} else {

$j("#bienvenida_en").show();

}

</script>

Another problem is that this gives you language of the browser, but it is possible to have the a different language in the browser and in Jive.

jessekane

contact Angela Devore.

02/04/2013 10:55:16.

Andrew Kratz

Google Translate is worth a look if you have multi-language needs.  I have spoken to a number of native speakers from a variety of languages who have said the machine translation from Google is very much serviceable   No one is going to mistake a Google translated page for a communication pro, but you can read the essential message.  I like that idea for general use across the Jive site.  The way it works with Google is that a user can turn it on for their language and as they move from page to page it will auto-magically translate what it sees.  However, I don't like it for a home page as it will feel like a 10 year old is curating your content. 

For a home page you are going to want something that is translated more professionally.  So for that, have a set of  places that are easily accessible from the main home page that can allow you to have a language/location specific topology for your users.  Typically, language maps to locations that have unique needs anyway..news is different  links to key places (if this is a social intranet) such as HR are different...so tackle both the unique interests and needs along with the main language via a place just for that set of users.  I don't believe you can out of the box have users set which page is their home page (I think)....but if you really had to do that I would think a customization to allow that setting could be built.  But having it one link away off of the main corporate landing page is a great way to go. Often times the core team rolling out Jive wants all users to see the main page first anyway.

hope this helps!

Andrew

Manni

Great subject for conversation!

I use an editorial calendar that helps me define what content I should be surfacing. But the main widgets for us have been:

Navigation widget - helps folks find there way around to certain landing pages around topics

Hero Banner - it's fancy. it awesomely shows off what hot topics that we want to promote.

Recent content - helps members see what the haps

Video - current video tutorials, or chalk talks, people seem to love them

Existing programs - Partners, User Groups, Customer Loyalty, etc

It's been difficult for us to measure what content is clicked on the most. Deepa Ramesh thanks for mentioning a poll, that might help us get some answers on what people want to hear.

If anyone have any tips on how to get the some good webmetrics on what is clicked on, let me know!

jessekane

contact Angela Devore.

02/04/2013 15:55:17.

jose.gonzalez

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! It's been really helpful and I got tons of ideas to show to my boss (Plus a great example on how colaboration can be helpful)

Thanks!