6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 11:55 AM by CurtisG

Why doesn't the Team Challenges widget show only the league I want?

Ted Hopton

I would like to display a Team Challenges widget in a space and have it display only the league that I have created for people who are active in that space. The name of the league is "Asia" but entering that in the widget produces no change.

IOW, users see an "edit teams" link and when they click it they are shown a list of ALL teams, not just the teams in that league. How do I get it to just show the teams in the league that I have specified?

• Re: Why doesn't the Team Challenges widget show only the league I want?

Team challenges are quite 'open' at the moment.  As in, anyone can join a team.  And if someone places the team widget anywhere in Jive - it will show all the team missions.   Plans are to make teams = permission groups in the future.

I would actually suggest creating specific missions for the space you want to target.  To do that, you need to find the containerType (likely 'community') and the containerID and add them in the 'metadata' of the missions you are creating.  Here is a walkthrough with screenshots and such:Jive Advanced Gamification Module: Admin Documentation  (should be a direct link to that section)

Ted Hopton

Thanks for the prompt reply, as usual, Curtis. I really have two questions:

1. Does the widget work correctly? It appears that by entering the name of the league you should be able to restrict the teams displayed to that league. Either I don't understand how to do that correctly, or entering a league name does not actually do anything. If the latter, it's a bug that ought to be fixed.
              2. I am also asking how to encourage members of a certain sub-community to participate in teams without making those teams obvious to the rest of the community. I don't want space-specific missions because I don't care *where* they take actions, but I do care *who* takes those actions.

It's a pretty safe assumption that few people will install the Team Challenges widget in the first month or so after launch if I don't publicize that, so I was hoping to restrict what the Team Challenges widget displays in the Asia space. I guess another alternative is to delete any other teams in Bunchball until that contest is over, but that will slow down my development process.

asbrown1

I have just raised this as a bug, I now find that Ted Hopton raised this in February, months and months ago. Essentially the widget is broken and has been for months.

So where does this leave us, well it certainly highlights yet again that in my opinion the Jive gamification module powered by BunchBall is really in need of critical attention, I would even go as far as to say that it isn't fit for purpose as it stands.

I would be interested in the views of others who have implemented it.

asbrown1

A quick update on this,

Since I uncovered this bug last week and then discovered via this thread that our colleagues at Jive have been aware of this since February I have to confess to having gone a bit nuclear on this.

Sadly, this fundamental bug (which testing would have easily shown) makes the gamification strategy in our current implementation very awkward. I have teams of different sizes, so having leagues is the perfect way to stop for example one team of 100 people dominating the leader-board, when I have several teams in a different part of the business, each with under ten people in.

As soon as I get more details on the fix I'll post an update.

1 person found this helpful
                          jberzoy@cisco.com

Hi Andrew,

I think it is fixed now (at least in the cloud), I am able to specify the name of my league in 'Team Challenges' and correct teams are displayed.

However:

1. 'Missions' widget doesn't work, while entering the same name of the folder. Missions are displayed though in the 'Team Challenges', so that's probably fine.

2. All team missions are being displayed, no matter what league you wanted to create those for.

Right now it seems to be pretty useless and not scalable for a large enterprise.

Hi Julia,

Hopefully a bit of explanation helps around the Missions widget:

• The Missions widget 'folder' option is meant to select from the "Missions" tab within the Gamification console.  So if you created a folder within that page called 'Finance missions' you could then place the missions widget within the Finance space and display those missions.
                              • Checking in on the team missions aspect, it might be possible to filter those.