8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 11:06 AM by shirlin

Is [your Jive Instance] like Facebook?

shirlin

I'm writing a blog post about the similarities and differences between Jive and Facebook - with the primary purpose of "FALive (name of our instance) is NOT like FB. It is so much better and way more productive. I'd love for people to get a glimpse of the potential of this and that it's more than the kittens and pub crawls.

Any tips or posts you have written to socialize your employees to treat it as a business tool and not as FB?

Thanks!

• Re: Is [your Jive Instance] like Facebook?
          Brad.Fitzgerald

I don't shy away from the FB comparison, but I always explain myself. I explain that social tools, like Facebook, are so powerful in our personal lives because they accelerate the sharing of information.  I explain that is why we have a social platform, not for sharing personal things but for sharing business ideas and information.

They seem to get it when I explain it that way.

1 person found this helpful
            ycheong

Although Facebook comparisons are, admittedly, very handy, when it comes to communicating with colleagues, my preference is to stay away from comparisons to social networks in favor of promoting Jive as a business / collaboration tool. So, for example, this is what we said in a recent communication about profile completion (feel free to plagiarize):

[Jive instance] is our online office and your profile is like a virtual handshake, a way to introduce yourself to colleagues. In a company the size of [your company], it's easy to be no one forever -- make a good impression by filling out your profile!

And what I mean when I say Jive is our "online office" (or virtual office or work space is another term I like)  is that we use it as:

-- our corporate intranet(s)

-- "headquarters" for all internal communications and newsletters

-- our company directory

-- our internal search engine

-- our internal Wikipedia

-- a place to collaborate on ideas and documents

Take that, Facebook! (Well, truth be told, I'm a heavy FB user -- and fan -- but my point is that Jive is much more than that.)

shirlin

Very helpful. I absolutely agree. There's a lot of buzz about our instance being like FB, or even the initial impression. I hate to compare because it's apples and oranges but feel a need to, to change perception. We do try to stay away from the word "social" because of the association.

Love your analogies and may very well plagiarize!

thebryceswrite

Shirlin,

Aside from the "for personal social stuff" vs. "for business stuff" delineation....I typically focus more on the friend bubble vs. community aspect of how Jive is NOT like Facebook, and in a good way.

Facebook (or any people-following-driven social environment) - You subscribe mostly to people or pages that you have chosen to let in. You've created a bubble limited to an inner circle you've defined, and Facebook makes that even worse by mostly showing you stuff from the people you interact with most and that your friends interact with most.

Jive (or any community-driven social environment) - With communities being the focus more so than people following, "who" you follow is not as important as "what" topics / teams / projects / communities you follow. And the most typical outcome is discovering perspectives from new people (like we are doing here), expanding your inner circle, not filtering everything you see to your inner circle.

So the outcomes as a result of that benefit are much more conducive to what a professional work environment needs...knowledge sharing, reuse of knowledge, ideas begetting new ideas, serendipity, filtering the noise to what you care about most, etc.

Good luck!

shirlin

Thought I'd share what we recently published. Thanks to all of you for your insight, it contributed to this post as you can see.

This is part 1 of a 2-part series >>

Here's a million-dollar question. "FALive is just like Facebook. Why do I need to use it?"

It's a really good question. In the context of the workplace, if activity in FALive is similar to activity done in Facebook, then we don't need to use it. But if I can shed some light into why we equate the two, and how they are being used today, perhaps we can come to a conclusion that FALive is a tool worth exploring. FALvsFB.jpg

We equate anything "social" with Facebook and Twitter because they were two of the first players to be extremely successful in this space.

At cursory glance, the technical features and functionality of Facebook and FALive are very similar. Major consumer social tools have mastered usability and many other platforms have followed their lead.  While working together is inherently a social activity, we are emphasizing the collaborative aspects over the entertaining storytelling.

Let's take a closer look at what the architecture supports.

Quick Updates

Instantly share a The specified item was not found. or alert others that you have shared new content.

Trending Information

The system's built in artificial intelligence recommends popular content and helps you discover content that matches your interests.

Follow Content and Activity

You gain control over what and how much information you get. You can subscribe to information orThe specified item was not found. that interest you.

Individual Profiles
                  Share a little about yourself and discover and get to know other people. Quickly find people with expertise that can help you.

Interactivity

Share your point of view on a topic and ask others for feedback.

While the communication technologies are similar, the distinction comes from the focus of the content and the context of the community.

Establishing a community inside the company unites us all around a common focus; work. While we will discover that we have many more things in common, work is the central point and it's what sets FALive apart from any other channel you may have experienced. The technology simply makes it easier for us to find and share information and work together to solve problems in a productive community. Social + Work = Collaboration.

No Fun, Ever?

Whether we are a title officer, a human resources professional, or any other role here at First American, we are all human beings. It is important for us to relate to one another and like the people with whom we work. Feel free to share your personality and talk about the things you think are interesting, just make sure that it is appropriate for everyone to see in a professional environment. It should, in some way, pertain to your work or helping others do theirs. While there is no specific rule here, we are looking for a balance of at least 4-1. For every non-work related post you share, you should have at least four other posts that help others know what you do, or what you are currently working on.

"Who" you follow is not as important as "What" you follow.

On Facebook (or any people-driven social environment like Twitter and LinkedIn), you subscribe mostly to people or pages that you have chosen to let in. The feed on your wall shows posts from the people you interact with most and, in some cases, those that your friends interact with.

In the workplace, following the "what" matter most. Topics, teams, projects, communities -- really any places or content that relate to your profession -- matter most. We follow coworkers we like, but we may not be working on any project with them. The most powerful outcome results when you follow a person who shares valuable content related to the work that you do. The way to discover this is to follow the places that are relevant to you and start connecting with members.

It took Christina Hall some time to distinguish the two and realize how she can use FALive. She recently told me,

“The challenge is that our company is so large and we have so many divisions. There's lots to be gained! FALive gives you the exposure to all the knowledge without putting that much effort into it. I'm following key players that I normally wouldn't follow, and I see what they're working on so I know what mission-critical activities are coming down the pipeline.”

How do you see FALive as being different than Facebook? Post your reply below.