13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 8:52 PM by djalexander76

How much do you count on Facebook to "train" your users?

davidfcarr

Do experienced users of Facebook or other public social networks understand Jive right away? Or do they come to it with misconceptions you must correct?

Context: research for book, Social Collaboration for Dummies

• Re: How much do you count on Facebook to "train" your users?
          Dennis Pearce

We try to avoid describing Jive in terms of Facebook because at least in our company saying that something is "like Facebook" suggests that it's not really a business tool.  Also, Jive has projects, documents with version control, etc. so it's not a fair comparison.  Better to stay away from the "F-word." 

tmaurer

Not at all. The only time I mention Facebook is when I show people the Activity stream, so they can have a better idea of how it works. Though as FB has tweaked what is delivered in the newsfeed, that comparison is less apt. And honestly, even the Jive activity stream I find to be much more powerful/flexible than FB, especially since as a user, you have full control of what is delivered to you instead of relying on a computer algorithm to get it right.

andre.oksas

Facebook isn't Social Collaboration at all and nobody should sell Jive as a Facebook for companies. On the other hand I experience, that Facebook-using employees adopt more rapidly to the Social Collaboration paradigm. Facebook-haters tend to project all their negative Facebook discussions to Social Business platforms as well.

ycheong

I agree with everyone else who says that equating Jive with Facebook is watering down an extremely valuable business tool, and like everyone else, we stay clear of any mentions of Facebook or social networking.

However, I also agree that those who regularly use Facebook (or LinkedIn or Twitter or Google Docs or online communities) are more apt to pick up Jive quickly -- and to recognize its value -- because these are people who are accustomed to keeping in touch with others in ways that don't involve the "traditional" methods of email, phone calls or face-to-face interactions. So, for example, someone who uses a What's App group to organize a family vacation pretty quickly understands the concept of a Jive social group and how it could help them, say, manage minutes for team meetings. Someone accustomed to connecting with others on LinkedIn understands why it's important to complete a Jive profile. Someone who follows others and is followed on Twitter realizes why it could be useful to follow colleagues in Jive.

So we don't rely on Facebook to train users, but the reality is that those users who are completely unfamiliar with today's digital and mobile world (and yes, they do exist) have a much more difficult time understanding the value of Jive (probably because they're too busy cleaning out their email inboxes and checking voice mail).

Jill Ross

Hi David,

While there some elements of Jive that can be compared to external social sites like Facebook and Twitter, I usually don't draw the direct comparison for reasons others have already pointed out - diluting the value and giving the wrong impression that this is "Facebook for work." And I agree that Jive can be easier to learn for people who already use social networks outside of work.

But even when you avoid the "F-word," I've found that some employees will draw the comparison on their own and occasionally post non-work related content on Jive -- much in the same fashion they might on Facebook or Twitter. This can be interpreted as a misconception that needs to be corrected depending on who you talk to. I personally think it's ok to have that type of content in moderation (especially for organizations with remote employees because it helps build/maintain culture), but companies that plan on rolling out a social collaboration platform should expect that type of behavior and have established guidelines for it well before launch.

djalexander76

I've spent much of the last 4 years explaining to users how the social business platforms I've worked on are NOT Facebook.  To be honest, I cringe whenever I hear someone say "so it's like Facebook for {insert company name}"   Noooooooooo

On a positive note, I do think employees that are comfortable using Facebook are much more comfortable creating a fully populated profile (with photo).  When I first created a Facebook profile I remember being reluctant to add a photo at first.  Five years later, it's one of the first things I do after registering on a social networking site such as this one.