84 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2013 1:37 AM by mavital

Jive Anywhere

Community managers,

At Jive we're in love with Jive Anywhere, we use it a lot! Recently I meet customers and was surprised to learn that they were not using it at all, some of them didn't even know what Jive anywhere was or what it did.

I am curious to hear from you, are you using it? If not would love to hear why and if you do I would love to get your feedback.

• Re: Jive Anywhere
          andre.oksas

I enjoy Jive Anywhere at least once a week, but I'd love if I could use it on my iPad browser as well.

allison.doherty

Hi Oudi... Hope you are well :-)

We are trying desparately to use it, but we are running into a few issues and stumbling blocks... the two most important ones left on the list to resolve are:

1) We absolutely can't have our employees download Jive Anywhere from your site. So we are packing it internally for our users to get. However, Jive Anywhere doesn't give us an option to "prevent" this in Chrome or FF (we are able to prevent it in IE through a property of Jive Anwyhere). So, we are going through hoops here at DB to try to get the URL blocked (and it is not an easy process)

2) We found a bug with Jive Anywhere which is a secruity hole for our B&R users. We have been working with the support team and they have confirmed it is a bug. The underlying problem is that "Setting OAuth Access Token Expiration Doesn't Work" .... and now we need a fix. You can see all the details here https://community.jivesoftware.com/casethread/258652

Of course... it would be great for our senior management team to be able to use it on their iPads. John Stepper is already 'upset' that he won't be able to use it much

• RE: Jive Anywhere

Thanks for sharing Allison, I am well ;) hope you are too!

I know Mor Avital  and the engineering teams are looking into this.  

Jive Anywhere is one of those where we really put most of our focus on having one install and do so from the cloud, branching it out is challenging but we keep looking for creative ideas.

• Re: RE: Jive Anywhere
                Matt Laurenceau

As soon as we upgrade to v6 (still on 4.5 for the next 4 weeks) we sure plan to use it.

Use Cases include the following:

When somebody sees a post on Facebook or other platform where we need to take an action (internal, or jumping in on the post), we would use Jive Anywhere to make it easy for others to know that this post is already discussed

nbussard

Hi Oudi,

I think it's great that you are asking this question. I was really excited when I first saw Jive Anywhere, but I don't use it as much as I would like to. Here are a few of my reasons:

1. It seems simple, but when you go to use it, the interface is kind of confusing. It's not clear where you click to enter your text--why is there not an empty field to type in when you first open the slider? I also don't know the difference between Community and Group (the tabs), nor does the + sign mean anything to me. When you do see a screen, it seems to be asking you for an email address, but I think that the To field is actually where you put the group name. I went looking for documentation and found nothing. A little work on the UI and some actual instructions would go a long way. I understand how powerful it can be, but can't figure out how to work it.
                    2. I can't brand it. No one in my community knows what Jive means because that's not what our community is called. This is big for us. I realize that you may want to use it for multiple communities, but for our users, this is a big stumbling block. (Same issue with the Office Connector, btw).
                    3. I don't seem to be able to post in a secret group. Maybe there is some issue with my settings, but I get an error when I post to the group I use the most.

Cheers,

Nikki

Thanks for sharing your feedback Nikki, let me try and address some of the points:

1) we realize that it is not always obvious how to use the app, therefore we added the tooltips and guided tour, we were hoping this would help. Has that helped at all? Are we wasting our time doing that? It is a real challenge to get rich functionality in such small real estate and we are constantly looking to improve. We added the ”be the first to comment” link that triggers the content creation flow…. Would love to hear more what you have in mind that can help us make this better

2) Unfortunately we can‘t allow branding of jive anywhere, the way the product is designed doesn‘t allow this technically. If we wanted to allow branding we would have to compile the product separately for each customer. That would be a nightmare for us to manage and almost impossible to upgrade. It is the same case of the office and outlook modules. What we‘ve recommended customers to do is to have an association in their community with the jive brand (”Powered by jive” or something like that). We are not the only vendor that keeps its brand. If you think about MSFT and SharePoint, when you are in office and you want to save a document into sharepoint you can‘t rename that.

3) Secret group support coming in April ;)

Thanks so much for sharing.

nbussard

Thanks for the response, Oudi. I only see two tool tips--one over the + and one over the gear. This is not very helpful. The guided tour, if it is the video I'm thinking of, moves very quickly and so doesn't really help in figuring out how to use it. It is a nice overview of why it's powerful, though.

Regarding the rich functionality in small real estate, it looks to me like you are missing some opportunities. For example, when I open Jive Anywhere on this page, I see a blank area with the text:

Nobody talked about this yet.

Be the first!

It seems that text is replaced as soon as someone starts to comment, which means it could be longer and not impact the experience once content starts to populate. Wouldn't it be trivial to add a little more text there, along the lines of, "Click the + to start a conversation about this page in your Jive Community"? Then you could display a little annotated version of the entry screen showing what goes where, along with a link to the documentation for more help (the link being critical). You could also change the link that says "Be the first" to be a button, so it's clearer that it is an action, not a link to another page. You can do the same thing on the Group tab, where again there is plenty of white space that could be used for help text for someone coming to it for the first time. The To field could be more descriptive, like "Choose a group:" or whatever is appropriate (even better would be to have the "Where would you like to start your discussion?" text in the field already, reflecting the "Create content" experience in Jive. Ideally you would also swap the group and the title fields so that the title is above the comment where you expect it to be, again reflecting the Create Content experience. I would also revisit the "Community" and "Group" nomenclature. I am at a loss to explain the difference between those two or how they help me understand what I'm supposed to see when I click them, so I'm not able to suggest alternatives. A little usability testing with 5-6 users would probably sort it out pretty quickly.

Regarding the branding issue, I would challenge you to think more creatively. For example, instead of using the Jive product name, the tab could say something like "Discuss This" or "Community" or something generic that would help trigger a call to action, regardless of the community name. I would think that you could also display the url of the customer community somewhere on the flyout itself when you first open it up...you are calling so many other things out of the instance, surely you can fetch that? Then you can keep the Jive logo on there as well, so people continue to make the connection, but display it the same way you do on Jive Engage. Keeping it consistent across products--always having "powered by Jive" in the lower part of the screen for example--would keep people oriented and give them a more seamless experience. And regarding the last point here about SharePoint...what's that old saying? "Just because SharePoint does it doesn't mean you should?"

Last, thanks for the info about secret groups. That will help a ton, as many of our best use cases require secret groups.

Thanks Nikki,

I am not sure which version you are on but we definitely have a lot more than 2 tips coming up for a new user. it actually does point out the + sign and tells users this is how you add a new discussion, it highlights the fact that you can expand to see the full thread and more.

Maybe Mor Avital can show you how to reset the setting so you can see the guided tour as a new user.

As for the branding, the "discuss this" is something we are looking in to but has its own challenges, we want to make sure people know it is not part of the web site.

AmandaS

The re-branding issue is a big one for us as well and generally we would expect that anything that is "productized" would be re-brandable to the internal community name.  People must know that that browser plugin is connected to our internal community.  Right now I'm not even sure we will get clearance to use JA without the re-branding as that is a standard practice.  Also, keep in mind that email is not a community - people don't brand, market, and report on adoption for their email system the way that they do for their communities.  That really isn't a comparison.

ChristopherHall

The tool tips are great! I did go a step further though and recorded my screen while walking and talking through each of them very very briefly. The video ends with "Now try it for yourself." Seeing it, hearing it, and then doing it has worked really well for our pilot group.

mpallia

We are not.  We’re looking to explore this after our Jive 6 upgrade.

Here’s where we are at:

1)      Its easy to set-up and free – We love this.

2)      We understand how it works and have seen the demo.

3)      We haven’t figured out the WIIFM for our organization.  Once we figure out a use case or 2 or 3  that improves upon existing processes, we’ll have a deeper desire to make it available.

What we‘ve heard from customers who upgraded to 6 and introduced Jive Anywhere as part of that process was that it helped bring jive to more users and make the adoption grow. I think that you‘re on the right path and you will get many users happy.

Thanks for sharing your feedback

arielcohen

My images.jpeg.jpg

I've been evaluating Jive Anywhere for some time now and although I share some of the sentiment stated here, I think that a very important missing element for my every day work scenario, having 3 different Jive instances I interact in daily (This community, our external & internal) would be the ability to input 3 different community URLs and roam quickly between them (Similar to Jive's iOS app)

Cheers,

Ariel

tmaurer

I'd love to see some of Gia's use cases drawn up here. I personally think JA is great, and completely get why people could/should use it. I've even written some documentation that describes what I think of as the main use cases for an internal community (sharing info around a competitor's site/product, sharing info around a candidate's LinkedIn profile, sharing info around an SFDC opportunity, collect input around an event give-away (product sample). But I think the kind of Use Cases Gia did that were handed our at JiveWorld would go much further toward painting the picture than any doco I create.

The interesting thing about JA is that different customers have adopted it in different use cases, in most cases areas we didn‘t even think they would, for example some use it as a way to socialize static pages of their intranet, others use it to collaborate on SharePoint documents and lists….

I think you nailed the use cases we have envisioned and I understand the desire to get more stories from jive.

Thanks for sharing your feedback

nbussard

I would really like to promote it among our research and innovation groups, as they need to share a lot of links and other web content. It could also be really helpful if we get an external partner/client community set up--we will use it to bridge between that and our internal community to bring content back and forth. I hope you'll consider the feedback on usability and documentation so I can do that.

We use Jive anywhere for bridging between communities already and it works great. just use Jive anywhere when you are in the Jive community and share it in your internal instance and see how great it is. would love to hear your feedback

nbussard

Will do. That brings to mind a related but more specific use case I hadn't thought of before. Our internal community has a lot of groups based around the key packages that we implement for our customers, like CMS, eCommerce, etc. Developers could connect their Adobe Day CQ group to Adobe's site and maybe to popular developer blogs to share information about fixes, product updates, etc. within the group and/or to see if there are already internal conversations going around those pages. I will explore this and let you know what they think.

Great. keep us posted and make sure we keep this thread alive. It helps a lot! I appreciate (and I know my entire team does too) these open discussions. I hope more people try out Jive Anywhere and share their feedback. I think that the customers who have invested time have realized a lot of value from it, the reason I started this discussion is because I felt many have not given it the full attention. Maybe we should charge for it? ;)

Noted, Tracy!

Ted Hopton

I personally try to use Jive Anywhere pretty frequently. I say "try" because it fails pretty often for one reason or another. I have had to keep hopping from browser to browser to find the one it will work in when these issues arise. Since the whole point is to make it fast and easy to share links, when I hit bugs that make it actually take a long time, instead, that is frustrating and discourages me from using it more. Firefox is my preferred browser, but it seems pretty vulnerable to having Jive Anywhere malfunctions.

When it works, I like it very much and find it useful.

mavital

Hi Ted, I‘m very sorry to hear you‘re having such issues, that‘s obviously not ideal. We recently put out a version of JA 1.1.5 that has some fixes for issues we were aware of, can you check if Firefox has been upgraded to that? It should happen automatically unless you‘ve somehow disabled it. If you‘re on the latest and are still having issues let‘s get a case started so we can resolve them. It really is a fast and easy integration, and the last thing we want is for it to cause you frustration.

Ted Hopton

Hi Mor,

I always have my add-ons set to update automatically and I just confirmed that now. I am on v. 1.1.5. At this moment it is working. When I tried to use it this morning, I got a CSRF error several times and so had to jump over to Chrome to use JA. This happens to me fairly often. I have opened a case about it, but apparently it is hard to reproduce the error, so no progress has been made in resolving it. Sometimes I get a more cryptic message about connection.

Usually when I want to use JA, it is because I want to quickly share something and I think I can accomplish that in just a minute. When it fails I don't always have time to open or update a case.

Ted Hopton

OK, this thread has prompted me to look more closely at JA. I want to clarify what I meant when I said I "use" it. I use it for one specific purpose: to share bookmarks within my internal community, and 95% of the time I post to a group I created to contain those bookmarks. It's a way for me to share links to content with others and to remember where that content was, myself.

I did not even notice the Groups tab until last night, and was rather baffled by it. Is the idea that I can create a group on the fly to discuss the specific content that I want to share? OK... I still would have to go back to Jive to invite people to my group, of course, but I guess that lets me save some back-and-forth I would otherwise have to do before sharing the link. A couple of use cases for this would be great to help people understand both how and why to use that feature.

Connecting a group baffled me. Can someone explain the use case for that? What would I do with a stream of posts from a group showing up in JA?

I was also surprised to learn I can start a private discussion with someone if I enter their name instead of a place name. That never occurred to me and I have been "using" JA for many months.

Also, regarding the discussion about the fly-out saying "Jive" on it, why not have it say "Share" since that is the call to action? Other tools using that feature say things like "Feedback" on them, so it's obvious what to do with them. You can still have the Jive brand on the box that opens up, but putting your company name on the tab itself isn't very clear.

If you really want more people to use it, there are many things you could change to make it obvious what to do and how, so tooltips and videos are not even needed. The interface itself is the key.

mavital

Thanks for the feedback Ted. We continue to work on improving the UI and how intuitive we can make JA, so it‘s great to hear this type of stuff.

In regard to connecting to a group, you can create a new group or connect to an existing group. The idea is that you can then see all documents and discussions in that group, even if they are not specifically for that webpage you are on.

Here‘s a typical use case:

• Recruiter is looking at a LinkedIn profile for someone
                                                              • Recruiter sees that this profile has been pushed into Jive before, in the Hiring group
                                                              • Connects the page to the existing Hiring group, and can now see all discussion and documents in that group because they‘re relevant to recruiting even if not to this specific page
                                                              • Being able to see all related content helps make informed decisions, and see other conversations around  topics that influence hiring decisions.

The same scenario can be played out for a Sales person looking at the webpage of a prospect and wanting to connect it to his Opportunities group so he can see what else he has going on in there. Does that make sense as to why we‘d enable this?

In the new version of JA that‘s currently in beta we also give the ability to connect a webpage to multiple groups, as well as projects, to make this feature even more extensible and useful.

By the way, to anyone and everyone on this thread who is interested, we do have a Jive Anywhere v1.2 beta going on right now that brings tons of new features to Jive Anywhere as well as an SDK so you can customize your JA experience in terms of what info from a page gets pulled into the discussion. If you‘re interested in participating, please let me know.

sannidhi

Haven't tried Edge yet, so apart from it, JA is perhaps the most innovative plugin/feature of Jive 6, it's awesome!

Phillip Bailey

Jive Anywhere is a great way to share content, my developers seem to have really taken to it as we're getting a lot of links in our community - there are a few niggles though:

- I'm looking forward to the OpenGraph style link previews coming in the spring Cloud release, because at the moment just having a link posted in a discussion doesn't necessarily tell you enough to decide if a link is worth your time.

- In Chrome specifically, you should be able to decide whether you want the address bar button, the side tab and additionally a toolbar button, as well as perhaps a right-click menu entry to display, so that as a user I can choose to show the side tab, but hide the address bar button, or hide everything and access it from my right-click menu or a toolbar button. I like options! I don't use FF or IE, so can't comment on those.

- This isn't limited to Jive Anywhere, but does affect it. Links to external websites from Jive should open in new tabs, full stop. I don't want to interrupt my Jive browsing to pop off and read an interesting article. I'm told this is tabled for the spring Cloud release, I hope it's there.

tmaurer

Something else I would find helpful is a way to know for sure how many people are using it. I THINK it might be the item on the System > Settings > Extended APIs > Usages Logs page that says "

mavital

We definitely hear you about this, and are making strides to more accurately and easily capture this information and show it to admins. Haven‘t looked at incorporating it into CMR, but that‘s a great idea and something I will look into if possible.

dougmackay

Oudi and Mor,

We recently (on the weekend) upgraded to 6.0.1.1 and have launched JiveAnywhere. Even now it's helping extend and embrace the community. It certainly adds value and is a clear definer in using Jive.

If a stat area could be added into the Community Manager Reports that would allow us to see usage.

If branding could be implemented that would be even better (I understand the implications, but hey, a dream's a dream)

nbussard this also works as a tie-in w/ box.... to declare to a group in Jive where the documents can be.

nbussard

Doug MacKay, great tip. I was also thinking we could use it to bring assets from a web-based DAM into the stream in the same way.

Question for everyone here: How are you describing Jive Anywhere to your users? Do you mention specific use cases or do you have some other kind of elevator pitch? I'm convinced that my community members could see a ton of value from it, but only a few technically-inclined folks seem to get it. I'd love to hear what others are saying to promote it to new users.

And one more: how do you use it to bookmark things for your own reference? I noticed that I can type my own name in the To field and it will start a private discussion between me and myself in Jive. I was surprised to discover this--I would have expected a bookmark or something, and the ability to make it public--but could see how it would be handy. I know Ted uses it to add links to a group he created specifically for that purpose. Anyone else have clever ideas for this use case?

tmaurer

I defined several use cases, Nikki. Added a TOC so that people could skip to the idea that struck them. And then I've been posting status update "tips" to suggest to people things they might want to be able to do, and then suggesting JA as the way to do it. Not getting a huge groundswell yest, but I also don't think it is something everyone will use. Just a really great extension for some. And I think many of the people it might suck in are ones that haven't yet embraced using Jive fully.

mavital

For anyone interested in Jive Anywhere, and especially the new and exciting features we have slated, we‘ve just announced the launch of the Jive Anywhere beta. The group it‘s in is private, but if you want to join please just let me know and you‘ll have early access to all the goodness that this new release brings.

miloskrocian

I was testing it recently on our new Jive in Cloud version but found it buggy, especially with JIRA + Firefox. It tends to slow down Firefox and at one point javascript stuff in JIRA just stop working, than i need to restart Firefox to be able work again. Didn't have time to test it in Chrome.

But it is awesome tool.

nbussard

It definitely affects other programs. One of our menus in Jira does not work when Jive Anywhere is installed. Also, we are not able to see groups listed in the To field if we type more than one letter. E.g., to post to a group called Help Forum, you will see a list of groups when you enter the letter H, but afterwards will only see people. Even if you type the whole group name--Help Forum--it will never show in the list. Any idea when this will be fixed?

mavital

Hi Milos - I just talked to our Jive Anywhere engineer and he told me that the Jira issue is a known one and unfortunately not one we‘ve been able to solve because it has to do with the way Jira handles (or doesn‘t) iframes. We‘re continuing to work on a solution.

If you‘re interested, we also have a Jive Anywhere Beta that includes access to the new JA SDK that allows you to build custom cartridges for sites that you use often, to specify exactly which pieces of information you want to push into your Jive instance via Jive Anywhere. We‘ve developed a Jira cartridge that is available for use, if you want to check it out.

ChristopherHall

Is it possible to Connect to a Space instead of a Group?

Phillip Bailey

Mor Avital, would we (reed.co.uk) be able to beta test the 2.0 version? We've just completed a company-wide Jira roll-out and having a Jira cartridge could do a lot to boost productivity with this new tool on our dev team - I'm definitely interested in getting in there.

miloskrocian

I would be also interested in 2.0 testing. We are preparing Jive roll-out in next weeks.