4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 9:55 PM by olivia.teich

Taking advantage of the latest and greatest experience and features

Over the last few months we've really enjoyed sharing our updated roadmap and what's coming in Jive. We've heard a lot of awesome validation, enthusiasm, and "that can't get here soon enough." So, I wanted to check in with you on current sentiment and any issues you're running into as you consider how to get and stay current with the latest and greatest: have you or are you considering hosting your internal community on Jive Cloud, or adding a second community on Cloud to take advantage of features like external groups? Why/why not? Thanks in advance for any feedback and insights here!

• Re: Taking advantage of the latest and greatest experience and features
          shirlin

We launched less than 4 months ago and are hosted with Jive 5. We are jsut getting started and getting people onboard. Our roadmap consists of all the Outlook and Office integrations, SP and Lync integration. We want to make sure the users are comfortable with this different way of thinking before we roll out a ton of bells and whistles, while giving them a chance to opt-in to some of the integration features. Once we get early adopters and iron out the wrinkles, we will do a bigger push.

tmaurer

Hi Olivia,

We haven't been able to consider it seriously yet because we have so many add-on modules we rely on that hadn't been made available for public cloud. We have asked to start conversations about it. Off the top of my head, the kinds of concerns we have are:

1. Warning of changes prior to roll-out. I realize you do tell everyone when updates are happening. But there are always things in a release that don't make the list. And sometimes, the person making the decision on what goes into the release notes doesn't know what is important to us (meaning UBM specifically). Having the opportunity to test new features out in UAT is important for that reason.
            2. The number and variety of paid plug-ins UBM uses adds a level of complexity to testing new releases. Based on the kinds of issues we've run into over the years, I assume that Jive doesn't have the ability to do QA testing with all the possible combinations of plug-ins. Perhaps jlevi will convince me I'm wrong.
            3. The loss of ability to add unsupported plug-ins. We hadn't actually used any at all until Jive 5, due to wanting to remain largely vanilla (excluding the Jive plugins, of course). I have to say, we've found several of Ryan Rutan's plug-ins invaluable, and I'd actually like to be able to add at least one more (the Admin Console Essentials) due to some perceived holes in the way the Admin Console works. Losing this ability will be an important consideration for us as we have come to rely on the ones we have in use.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Tracy! This breakout of change management vs. quality vs. product capabilities is really helpful.

While this thread isn't about convincing anyone to move to cloud, here are some specifics on those points:

1. Warning of changes prior to roll-out. We make new releases available on preview-jive.jiveon.com 2 weeks prior to every new feature release, along with an overview of what's new. We also have a new premium offering of a dedicated private Preview site with your data that is updated with a preview of the new release 2 weeks prior to GA. While this isn't a long period of time, with quarterly releases the scope of change in each release is also smaller than with full version updates. We continue to refine our approach to release documentation, new feature notifications, etc. and feedback here always welcome!

2. Paid Plugins: we support a defined set of plugins in Jive Cloud, with tiers that each include a specific set of plugins. Each of these is thoroughly tested as part of each release, which is possible because we've stuck to specific sets combinations, only known modules, and we've made a lot of investments in scaling our testing across the board. I think you'll find that every one of our paid plugins (modules) are available on Cloud with our Summer release or before, but let me know if there's something you're using that I've missed!

3. Unsupported plugins: we've been working (with Ryan and others) to move popular unsupported plugin capabilities into the core product. Several features like the Featured User widget, some admin capabilities, etc. are already there today. Others are being added to the core API so that apps and external services can deliver these capabilities in an upgrade-safe fashion, without plugins. Our own PS Team, for example, is now writing a significant number of their projects on our APIs instead of as plugins.

What's really exciting to me is that these concerns aren't fundamental – all are things we can address if, ultimately, regularly delivered automatic upgrades to the latest and greatest new features and customization and integration through supported, upgrade-safe means, will work for your business.