6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 5:13 AM by jemjanik

Has anyone already put together a list of Jive myth busters?

jmistretta

As a source of help to my Community Managers, I'm in the process of trying to put together a white paper or myth buster document to dispel the myths or "reasons" why people don't want to use the Jive platform. 

Some examples include:

• "It's one more thing for me to do."
      • "If I post to Jive all the knowledge I have is out there and now I"m not important anymore."
      • Jive is just like Facebook (as mentioned in the discussion Re: Is [your Jive Instance] like Facebook?

I was curious as to whether anyone has already done this and would like to share. I know I have my responses to these myths or "reasons' but was also curious as to what others found on their "list" that maybe I haven't heard verbalized but is true for our internal employees.

• Re: Has anyone already put together a list of Jive myth busters?
          ycheong

Hi Jen -- below are some of the questions from our top myths blog post.

I still don't see why I need to use [Jive instance].

We have migrated almost [number] intranets company-wide to [Jive instance]. This means that at some point you will need to search [Jive instance] to find all your company's news / benefits information (if you don't already do so).

Is [Jive instance] just a social network?

No -- [Jive instance] is not Facebook for [company] employees. It does allow us to find and network with colleagues, but [Jive instance] is a business collaboration tool that can (and has) helped us become more productive and efficient.

Do people use [Jive instance] for non-work related discussions?

Although [Jive instance] is a business tool, we recognize that employees will socialize on [Jive instance] the same way we do at our desks or by the watercoolers. Do you ever talk about your kids at work? Your latest vacation or your car? The movie you saw last weekend or your favorite restaurant? The marathon you're training for? For most (if not all!) of us, the answer is yes, although most of us do try to be mindful of our time and keep personal chats during the work day to a minimum. We expect that users will be equally responsible on [Jive instance]. [Jive instance] also gives us the opportunity to informally network with coworkers with whom we would never otherwise encounter but with whom we often share both work and/or personal interests. In addition, social groups give novice users the opportunity to become familiar with the community in more a casual environment. You can change your newsfeed on the [Jive instance] home page so it defaults to the activity feed, the content, places and people you choose to follow. Also, the more work-related groups you join/follow and the more people you connect with, the more useful you will find your activity feeds.

Are managers using [Jive instance]?

What other corporations are using collaboration tools like [Jive instance]?

Jive (the software on which [Jive instance] is "built") has hundreds of customers, including companies like PwC, Nike, Toshiba, Cisco, SAP and Intel. Bertelsman (which owns Random House), Deloitte, LG Electronics and Razorfish are among the thousands of companies using similar tools.

Is [Jive instance] secure?

Yes. [Jive instance] is as secure as any [company] system including Outlook, Sharepoint or the shared drives. It is easy to post confidential information for your team / department by setting up a Private Group. All content in Private (and Secret) groups are only visible to those people who are members of the group.

Can everyone can see content I put in Secret and Private groups on the [Jive instance] homepage feed?

The [Jive instance] "Everyone" feed is customized for you (based on your log-in name), so if you are a member of the Private (or Secret) group, you will see that group's content in your feed, as will all other group members. But only group members will see that information.

2 people found this helpful
              jmistretta

Thanks for sharing, Yen.  Funny how so much of our discussions are on the security aspect of things.  Your first point ("I still don't see why I need to use [Jive instance].") made me chuckle. In your case you took the "alternative" away and people still weren't convinced. One of our biggest challenges is why it's better then email. People are so comfortable with the tool, however, few use it properly.  It's almost like a re-training of what tool is right for the situation.  We can't use a hammer all the time to get the job done.

ycheong

I'll never fail to understand why people are so wedded to email even when it's become such a nuisance! We tried to get a no-email day off the ground (but got sidetracked); this is one of the things we put together:

TaskVia emailVia [Jive instance]Advantages of using [Jive instance]
                  AnnouncementsUser sends to a distribution list.User posts the information in a group.Information can easily be archived and searched.
                  Information collectionUser collects information from numerous individuals and integrates it into one document.User posts a document in Neo. All subsequent contributors simply edit the document.Saves the user time since they don't need to compile all the information.
                  Information (and / or large file) routingUser sends to a distribution list.User posts the information in a group.Information can easily be searched. Documents do not take up space in mailboxes.
                  NewslettersUser sends to a distribution list.User posts the information in a group.Information can easily be archived and searched.
                  DiscussionsUser sends to team to come to a decision or get feedbackUser posts the topic/decision to be made in a group or as a private discussionInformation can be easily archived and searched; cuts down on back-and-forth emails; public discussions can benefit from opinion of someone who wouldn't have been on original email.
                  1 person found this helpful
                      jmistretta

I totally agree. 

I just had a situation yesterday where a co-worker mentioned he wanted to take a quick walk before our meeting. I told him not to worry if he was a few minutes late as my afternoon wasn't crazy and we could start a few minutes later.  I was expecting him to stop by my desk or drop me a quick call to let me know he was back and ready to met.  About 15 minutes after our scheduled time, I checked my email and was surprised to find one from him letting me know he was back....about 10 minutes ago. His actions were completely innocent but definitely not the most effect way to communicate. 

With people so attached to email, I can't even imagine the panic that would set into people if we did a no email day (although I would love to try it).  Email is such a reactive tool.  I read an interesting article on the Forbes website about how one executive banned it for a week and the benefits that came out of it.  Although I personally can't ban email, it made me reconsider how I manage my inbox!

I Banned All Internal E-Mails at My Company for a Week - Forbes

jemjanik

Alcatel-Lucent has started monthly no-email days, although participation is voluntary.  The name is a bit off since it's really smarter communications days.  Each one has a formal article on our intranet related to communications practices like using What Matters vs. email, or last month was about how employees with disabilities use communication/collaboration tools.  I don't know how many people participate, but the activity, participation, & contributions in our community always go up on those days.

jmistretta

Figured I would post my "final" internal MythBusters document for anyone who might be able to re-purpose.  I'm continually trying to collect and address the Myths so if anyone has any that I've overlooked (or haven't heard yet) I would love to hear them.

Myth: Jive is just “one more thing” for me to do.

Myth: Email works just fine.

Fact:  Jive isn't “one more thing”, it’s an alternative communication tool to the traditional email that you are use to. Right now, the most frequently used method of communication and collaboration is email, but with Jive you can do much better.

Communication – Jive opens up the number of people invited to a conversations and taps into the knowledge that we may not know exists.  In email, people involved are limited to only those people the person considers for collaboration, yet the person making the considerations may not be aware of the knowledge of all their peers, possibly resulting in incomplete or inaccurate information being shared

Collaboration – Jive provides a centralized and searchable repository of the discussions and knowledge sharing that would otherwise be “trapped” in email and not accessible to anyone who either deletes the email or wasn't on the original thread.

Choice – Jive is an “opt in” platform where you tell the system what activity you want to be made aware of. There is no choice on which emails you are included or which ones you’d like to get off of.

Although Jive isn't one more thing, we understand it is one more place, but over time you can replace a lot of your email activity with Jive activity, and when you do, it becomes less work - for example, to read a long back-and forth conversation takes much more time to do in email (and you also have more to cleanup and optionally file) whereas in Jive that same communication is in a different place, but much more efficient.

Myth: People will criticize my posting because my question is too basic or my grammar isn't perfect.

Fact: Jive is a platform intended to foster an open and collaborative environment.  We want people to be participating, sharing knowledge and learning from each other.  Both the question and response, positive or negative, are visible. A positive response will encourage someone to contribute again; a negative one will only have people looking to the person who posted the negative response.

Myth: Jive is a time waster like Facebook

Fact:  Aside from both applications being social in nature, Jive and Facebook have very different purposes.   Facebook is personal in nature with the main focus being the people you follow and the activity that occurs within the inner circle you've created.  Jive is for business with less of a focus on the people you are following and more on the "what" topics / teams / projects / communities you follow.   The most typical outcome is discovering perspectives from new people and expanding your inner circle, not filtering everything you see to the inner circle you've defined. (Thanks Bryce Williams, I borrowed with pride!)

Myth: If I post to Jive the knowledge and importance I have will go away.

Fact:  It’s just the opposite.  The more knowledge and experience you share the more known your value to the organization becomes.  Jive makes the contributions you provide visible and allows more of your colleagues to benefit from your experience.  By answering questions and sharing your knowledge on Jive you will now be able to answer a question once and refer back to it, which will allow you to spend more time gaining knowledge on more advanced concepts and new technologies, furthering your expertise.

Myth: Everybody can see everything I put in Jive

Fact:  Although Jive is a collaborative platform intended to foster more discussion and knowledge sharing, there is a security model in place to keep certain collaboration limited to a specific group of people.  When you post to Jive, the people who can see your contribution are those who have been granted access to that specific place or those specific people you've defined on a personal collaboration.

Myth: Jive is too complex

Fact:  Since Jive is a collaboration tool and collaboration, by its nature, is free flowing, Jive provides different ways to perform tasks within the system.  This allows for productivity gains as you become more familiar with the platform, but familiarity is key.  The more you do something, the more reason you have to be in Jive, the easier it will become.  As a way to help you transition to this new way of working, we have formal training and a Getting Started space loaded with tips, tricks and training to help get you started.  The tips and tricks are short snippets of how to do something in the system, with most of our training accompanied by videos walking you through the exact steps you need to be successful.  Don’t forget to follow this space so that you are able to benefit from the help added to this space as it becomes available.  This is also a great place to ask anything you are uncertain about as it’s regularly monitored by the Community Manager who is eager to help you get comfortable.

Myth: I can’t interact with Jive from my BlackBerry        

Fact:  You can interact with Jive via your BlackBerry in two ways.  If you have your email preferences set up to receive updates on all your followed activity, you will be notified of all the activity as it occurs.  You can reply to the emails you receive with your contribution and it will be posted directly into Jive.  Additionally, each place within Jive has email addresses assigned to it for announcements, documents and discussions.  Their email addresses can be saved locally to your address book; however, some key communities, like the Answer Center, have been added to the global address book and are ready for your use.

Myth: Jive is a replacement to <Internal Document Repository>.

Fact: Jive is a good tool to use to collaborate on the development of a document but final storage place should be <Internal Document Repository>.

4 people found this helpful