17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 5:46 AM by ann154

Tracking status updates and user discussions?

ann154

Is there any way to track user status updates and documents/discussions created under the individual user's in the "inbox" or "communications".

I know I can see those items in the "activity" area, but there is no way to track if I had previously read that post before or not.

• Re: Tracking status updates and user discussions?
          John Schwiller

Do you mean here on JC or on the 5.0.1.0 instance you mentioned elsewhere.

On 5.0+ you can track the user (I think of that as 'intensive' following) so that their activity appears in your Communications stream. In 6.0+ Communications becomes Inbox (as you know). And in 6.0+ you might even create a custom stream to 'monitor' one or two users. Communications/Inbox shows you what you have read.

ann154

In the other location, but it could apply here.

I tend to read all the discussions in the other community, but in order to do that and track what I have read I have to follow all the various spaces in forum. The posts are then available in my Communications/Inbox. New responds will also populate in there even though I read the first part of the discussion. What I'm trying catch is posts that have violations of that should be reported to the moderators of the community I use.

The activity tab is useless to me because it doesn't hold a "new" marker to posts I haven't read if I leave that page for any reason.

John Schwiller

Not quite sure if you only need to review the first post in each new thread? I would have thought responses might also be problematic but....

You could set your browser to show previously visited threads in the Activity stream in a different colour. For example, in Firefox (Tools > Options > Colors - Visited links = red, Allow pages to choose... untick)

visited links jc.jpg

It looks a bit 'odd' and other things vanish (like formatting buttons when you reply) so you might reserve one browser to 'work in' and another to show you new threads.

John Schwiller

josh.richau any ideas on how to expose / identify new posts on a thread for a moderator - reviewer who reads after posting rather than before it's made public?

ann154

Here is an example of the kind of posts I'm trying to capture.  The only way I was able to see this was to check the Activity tab.  The post was made public the moment it was posted, but can't stay public because of the personal information in the "Status update".  Posts created in a defined space are easily tracked.  Status updates like this and post made under the individual user and not in a defined space are the challenge for me.  The original post has been reported for abuse already so you wouldn't be able to it yourself.

IMG_20130330_103900.jpg

This is a bit tricky but here are some thoughts:

• in the All Activity stream you can reduce down to status updates (there is a filter) that may help you find these sorts of posts
                      • as John mentions, you can track a user and get everything they do in your communications stream (inbox in 6.0)
                      • in 6.0, we also do a bit better job of showing you where you left off in a stream, so that could help in the "not having to reread" area

Hope those help!

John Schwiller

Thanks Josh

Do you maintain read marks on each reply to a discussion thread (under the covers), even if this is not exposed in the UI - on the full discussion page rather than the in the stream?

I believe Annette's use case is a bit 'edgy' as she is acting as a moderator, needing to look at each post 'in isolation' to review its content, rather than wanting to 'get' the flow of the discussion (fully accept that here there would be little value in hiding posts the user has already seen, 'dotted about' in the thread).

Then add to that, she may want to do this on mobile

I'm getting a bit nostalgic about Notes now...  </sad>

ann154

Josh Richau wrote:

This is a bit tricky but here are some thoughts:

• in the All Activity stream you can reduce down to status updates (there is a filter) that may help you find these sorts of posts
                            • as John mentions, you can track a user and get everything they do in your communications stream (inbox in 6.0)
                            • in 6.0, we also do a bit better job of showing you where you left off in a stream, so that could help in the "not having to reread" area

Hope those help!

I do occasionally filter the activity stream to the status updates, but it is maybe a month or more when I do on the desktop view. I check the activity stream more on mobile and there is no way to filter out to just the status updates, documents or posts started in the "user's space" ie user "xyz" created a post and it is labeled in "xyz's discussions" instead of one of many predefined spaces for those topics.

It is hard to track every individual username as several hundred or more are created each day.

Would the Activity stream in this Jive community be an example of Jive 6.0? I usually end up having to re-read posts here when viewing the activity stream here. The amount of volume of posts here is much smaller than the community I'm dealing with.

I currently already have all the spaces in this other community set to "tracking in communications/inbox". In addition to this, I have the email notifications for communications turned off. For specific spaces and individuals I have email notifications turned on for them separately.

With all the spaces being tracked in Communications I can see more than 50 new discussions with multiple new posts for each discussion in the space of 12-24 hours. It could be more, but I have been told Jive doesn't count past 50+ or 10 new posts per discussion.

I hope this helps others understand what I am seeing and processing through.

John Schwiller

MIght be worth asking in Jive External Communities to see how others handle this problem. You might even just move this thread to that group - Support wont answer discussions in this group most of the time as they focus on cases raised in the secret groups (for customers).

mnevill

I will be curious to see how others deal with this, but to specifically catch things made in status updates I just make it a daily task to go to Activity > All Activity > Status Updates Only and see if there is anything there that needs to be handled or responded to. 

shanerogers

I'm curious to see how others are handling the "Must Look At all items to review" need. We have to do it to. We are on Jive 5.0.2. I tend to spend more time in the All Activity stream on the desktop. I'll throw this out there now - -but I haven't gone back to dive into too deeply. We have a Community Managers secret group in our Community. I was testing diff widgets on that page and tried to put a Recent Activity widget that shows for the ENTIRE Community -- which does capture status updates (Recent Content widget does not). The widget doesn't track reads, so I just need to remember the last item I've reviewed. One thing I like about this view is that I can preview within the widget. This obviously does nothing to help w/ mobile unless you are viewing the full site in the browser.