9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 10:36 AM by Megan Truett

Accounting & Finance - Can they jive too?

shirlin

Does anyone have examples of how your Accounting and Finance departments are using Jive?

Thanks!

• Re: Accounting & Finance - Can they jive too?
          cberk

Our finance group uses Jive to share standard forms and processes related to expense reports, time tracking, travel policy, standard vendor agreements, etc.  Most of the content is fairly static, however we are working with them to use Jive Private Groups to share financial reporting instead of using email distribution lists.  I think there will be a lot of value in that as today they distribute all reports via email.  If there are any questions about the a report they come back to Finance via email as well.  Not very efficient. 

ycheong

Our Finance team has an intranet- like space: news, policies, job openings, etc.

Our AP North America division actually now runs their user support through our Jive instance, i.e., people post questions in their group and the AP people answer the questions online. (Or if it's a private matter, they'll call or email the person.) They also link, in one place, to all the various AP systems that we need to use, and they post help manuals (so hopefully people don't need to ask some questions).

Megan Truett

Our accounting group is using Jive to push out information such as templates, forms and FAQs to the business. They get some pretty common questions every day and they have used that to shape how they set up information in their open space in our Jive instance. Posting these docs reduce the amount of emails they get and also allows people to ask questions in an open forum instead of that closed loop of people emailing questions to accounting. Be sure that they know to upload new versions of a doc to the current one instead of posting it as a new document (noticed that was a training opportunity with our group). Looks like it's similar to what Yen Cheong is doing.

shirlin

Thank you all for sharing what you've been doing in this regard. In my initial discussions with the team, every one of these suggestions came to a roadblock for one reason or another but I will take this back to brainstorm...seem like I have other challenges I am dealing with. Accounting & Finance may be a smaller use case/baby-step approach but I think it's still important enough to be "on the board" and identify some key milestones. If anything new pops up, please do share! Thanks again.

• RE: Accounting & Finance - Can they jive too?
                    Megan Truett

Would you mind sharing these roadblocks? Maybe we can help you power through them :)

shirlin

Hi Megan, thanks.

In our case, they simply migrated content from our old intranet and called it a day.

• They have a helpdesk email and hotline for people to ask questions about and they don't want that to be public because there is confidential information (even within a private A&F group)
                        • They work with financial service centers outside of the company who do not have access to our internal Jive instance

• Seems like they have standards and procedures that are set and "do not need" any discussions or clarifications around them

• They don't have the bandwidth to create content and moderate the space
                        • Since it is corporate, they deal with our international personnel, whom currently don't have access to our Jive
                        • They had an Employee of the Quarter initiative for their department but it is currently stalled

They have a space up today but it is just static information - purely a storefront. That being said, the CFO wants to blog! He wants to have his own blog, related to the broader business and then a blog specific to Accounting & Finance. We are in the midst of these discussions. What we're thinking right now is to take baby steps. When he puts out a blog, just have conversation starters around it. We are still trying to find out what their goals are....the other aspect of it is to find the right "champions" within that department to piggy back off the blog posts, maybe it's one of his direct reports. The current admins of the space may not be the right catalysts but are open to conversations (mini baby steps)....

ycheong

Even "just" a storefront is a good start! It gives you the ability to show how convenient it is to have all forms / manuals / etc. in one, easily accessible place. And having an "HQ" for documents is crucial when it comes to updating them so there's no confusion about which is the latest version (although as Megan notes, it's important to remind users they should edit existing documents rather than uploading new ones).

Also, if A&F are really opposed to using their Jive group for user support (hopefully they'll come around but I know you can only do so much), they can still use the group to allow their helpdesk personnel to support each other. For example, perhaps someone has fielded the same question from three different people in the past week and has now figured out what the problem is (and more importantly, how to solve it). Rather than just sitting on the answer in an email -- and letting everyone else struggle to find the same answer -- they might post a discussion for their colleagues about the problem and its solution.

Great news that the CFO wants to blog. As you probably know (but he / she might not), it does take a while to build a following for a blog -- people won't just read it right off the bat. So the first few times s/he writes a blog post, that should definitely be followed up by a company email that links to the post. You might ask a few people for a favor and have them comment on the post or "Like" or "Rate" it. (Hey -- I'm not above a little manipulation.) And a quick tip about blog posts -- they should always end with a call to action or a question (to solicit comments). A lot of users feel weird about commenting on an executive's post -- what if I say the wrong thing? etc., etc. -- and ending with a question, "What do you think?" or "I'd love to hear your thoughts," gives them leave to comment.

• RE: Accounting & Finance - Can they jive too?
                              Megan Truett

Not sure how the culture is with your company, but for Bridgepoint, people LOVE hearing from the C-level (as long as it is short and sweet). It creates a level of transparency that both the exec and the general user benefit from. To boost the traffic from the blog, perhaps he can (if he is comfortable) ask for feedback or questions. Getting information pushed out from above is the old way of doing it, but using a blog in Jive closes that loop. Makes people feel more engaged (Wow, the CFO really wants to hear from me?). Trust that you hired smart and responsible adults :)