18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 9:21 AM by ramien.rosillo

Mobile Functionality Roadmap?

innov8ion

I recently installed Jive Mobile on my Galaxy Nexus and it works alright. It's a bit limited as it only seems to show my stream. Will we soon be able to filter by containers (spaces, social groups, projects)?

Also, you don't appear to support the Nexus 7 tablet as I couldn't install it from the Play Store. When do you plan to support Android tablets?  And do you currently support iPad & iPad mini?

It'd be nice if there was some kind of functionality roadmap to know of plans for improvement.

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: Mobile Functionality Roadmap?
          ann154

You can also use the browser to access the mobile version of your community from those devices not supported by the app.

I honestly didn't know there was an application until I was using the browser for close to a year.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the feedback and interest in mobile.  Here's a quick summary of our major efforts coming this year:

1. Regarding Android, the existing offering includes a native app and mobile web app for phones.  You can access containers via Search or embedded links which then displays the recent activity in that container.  If you'd like more of a browse experience you can turn on the Home page feature as outlined in How To Configure Jive Mobile Themes
            2. In Q3 we will be focusing on v2 of the native Android phone app.  It will include an Android-specific UI that is less web-like.  At this time we don't have plans to support Android tablets.  I would be interested in the use cases and models of tablets you are utilizing though.
            3. For iPad, we offer a browser-based HTML5 app.  You can choose to theme and automatically redirect iPad users into that UI via the admin console if you'd like.  How to do so is spelled out in the above doc.
            4. Also, just today we announced the Release of the Jive for iPad beta!.  This is a native app which can be downloaded from the App Store as of today.  It supports iPad 2+ and the Mini and requires Jive 6.0.1 or higher.  More details including some basic roadmap items are included in that blog post.
            5. This quarter we are also updating our HTML5 app.  It will be upgraded to use the new, more robust APIs and feature set that is currently in use by the iPhone app.  More info on that app is in Announcing Jive Mobile for iPhone v2.0.

Thanks again,

Brian

jaredmorgs

Hi Brian

Where is the correct place to log Bug reports for the current version of the Android app? I have found a few issues while using it for the last month as part of the current trial the company I work for is undertaking, and would like to report them formally so they are considered for the v2 build.

I look forward to the v2 enhancements to the Play Store client, and will give the team at work an update about the roadmap plans.

Also, I feel not providing an adaptive layout function for your v2 Android app would not be a good decision moving forward. Do you have Play Store statistics about what devices currently have the Play Store Jive app installed? What percentage are tablets? I believe limiting the layout to mobile devices only is not acknowledging how the Android market is progressing as far as tablet usage goes. Many app developers such as Tapatalk (a forum app), most google apps, and big social media apps like Facebook and Twitter are realising this and make provision for adaptive layouts in their apps, or package a HD version separately.

I would imagine the Jive iPad Beta app is made for tablet layouts specifically, so why wouldn't you offer the same usability and functionality to Android tablet users? The Android SDK simplifies adaptive layouts in apps based on screen size.

Android tablets are cheap and plentiful. Nexus 7 devices have lead this charge. The Nexus 10 offers screen real-estate that would be totally wasted on a mobile-only screen design. I personally use a 10.1" Asus TF300T, because the extra 3" matters. It's worth noting that I *never* access the Play Store Jive app on my phone. The tablet is more convenient for interacting with forums, web pages, social media. I used to use my phone to "do it all" but now it hardly has data turned on at all, except for when I'm syncing photos to dropbox or G+ Albums so I can post them using my tablet.

ann154

I also have a tablet that I use to access this community and another Jive based forum. I normally use the mobile browser version on my phone instead of the Jive app. In fact I was using the browser long before I learned there was an application. When I tried the application, there was only one difference I could find between the mobile app and the mobile browser version.

For the tablet however, I use the Chrome browser or sometimes the webkit browser that came with my Asus TF700T. I get the FULL desktop versions of the communities I visited with very little restrictions on the features of the desktop version.

In short, I honestly don't know what good is the mobile app for Jive communities. Until some of functionality from the desktop version makes their way into the mobile app, I won't be using it.

jaredmorgs

What was the single difference you found?

I think I might have to switch to the Chrome Version for the time being. I do like the push notification that I get through the app. It means I can have email notifications turned off on the web version so my inbox doesn't get spammed with activity. I'm sure I could fine-tune notification emails, but I will look into that later.

ann154

Jared Morgan wrote:

What was the single difference you found?

I think I might have to switch to the Chrome Version for the time being. I do like the push notification that I get through the app. It means I can have email notifications turned off on the web version so my inbox doesn't get spammed with activity. I'm sure I could fine-tune notification emails, but I will look into that later.

It was the ability to insert photos from the app.  I had already gotten used to have a second browser app on the phone dedicated to a desktop version of the community I visited most and would use the desktop version to upload photos on the occasion I want to add a photo from the phone to a post or discussion.

ann154

The way I have my one community configured for notifications, I would actually get more notifications from the app if it notifies you of items in your Communications/Inbox tab then I would for the select few Discussion or People I get email notifications from.

davidspalding

Brian Gil wrote:

1. In Q3 we will be focusing on v2 of the native Android phone app.  It will include an Android-specific UI that is less web-like.  At this time we don't have plans to support Android tablets.  I would be interested in the use cases and models of tablets you are utilizing though.

I use a Google Nexus 7 (Android 4.2.2) as well as a Nexus 4 (N4)  for work and personal use. The Nexus 7 (N7) is a superb business tool, as it's just large enough to read and update things like our internal mail, calendar, IRC, bug tracking systems, Jive SBS instance, and other tools. I use a BT keyboard with it for extended meetings, but often just carry it with me and have it connected to our internal VPN. The form factor and security model are sufficient for corporate use.

I generally get alerts and updates on my N4, but for things like internal tools like Jive, etc, I prefer the  N7; I can "shush" it when I need to focus on work, and then take it to a comfy seating area when I want to keep up to date on less important work-related topics. It's big enough to read, but small enough to hold in my hand along with notepad, pen, onetime-use password device, and must-have coffee.

I would not rule out 7" tablets as a viable work tool. Not everyone wants to work on a 4.x" screen of a mobile. I'm pretty sure that Android lets you package UIs for both small and medium/large screens in one .APK, and let the app (or user) decide the presentation.

In our firm, we have a near even split of people using iOS devices and Android devices, last I checked, people using either totaled more than 50% of our staff.

Hopefully this helps.

jaredmorgs

Hi David

I could install the app on my TF300T, so I would say the devs just need to enable your device in the supported devices in the Play Store manifest.

Cheers

Jared

mvigil

Just throwing this out there because I'm curious, but since an html5 app is out there, will Jive be looking at other platforms such as Windows Phone 8/Windows 8 Metro Apps or even Blackberry?

Thanks,

Maurice