17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 7:49 AM by ann154

Number count max for inbox?

ann154

Out of curiosity, is there a count maximum for the inbox (Jive 6.0+) on this community? Or when using the "seashells" in Jive 5.0+.

For example if you have a lot of replies or people you follow in the inbox so you have 100 new items will it have a little "100" next to the inbox link or something else?

• Re: Number count max for inbox?
          it2000

I've seen '50+' on a screen shot.

ann154

Why only "50+"? Isn't that kind of limiting?

Ryan Rutan

While I'm not an expert, I would expect that this is in part UI constraints (trying to preserve horizontal fluidity) and part human capacity to intake.  I would imagine that at a certain point, a large number is just a large number.  Especially when it comes to things that you have to do.  I'm sure that number is not the same for everyone.  Some people tune out after 10, 40, or even 99.  If you see 50+, you know have a mountain of conversations to sift through ... perhaps its an "I'm feeling lucky" moment where you are hoping for 51 rather than 151. =)  Those are just my thoughts. 

ann154

The size of that same "mountain" is quite different when it is 51-60 new items versus over 200 or 1000.

I can actually read through 50-60 new discussion replies in an hour. If I knew that there were closer to 200 or more, I could better judge my time.

Regular email programs don't limit the number of "new" items in the their count to 99+ or something similar.

Ryan Rutan

Agreed.  I can plow through conversations at a higher rate, but I think the actual number is chalked up to personal preference at the end of the day.  Some people take longer, and some are faster … so I'm sure the number selected here was a middle ground between the two camps. =)

As for the comment about "regular email programs", I'd agree, except that Jive is not an email program.   I'd argue it's much much better =)

RR

ann154

Better?

Where is the sort by responder in Jive 5.0? I saw there might be something in Jive 6.0.

Where is the sort by oldest first? In any version of Jive?

Sort by space?

Sort by type (Documents vs Blogs vs discussions)?

What if I just wanted to view all of the new discussions is one of the spaces (like this Support) starting with the oldest one first and know where I last stopped reading the whole discussions and not a truncated version that is viewed in the "Activity" stream?

I have tried to use the "Activity" stream and a "Connected Stream" for few things. I really tried and it doesn't flow. For me and how I process what I read and when I read them, both are dysfunctional. Neither carry over to mobile well or across multiple devices.

I also have seen others talking about using an RSS feeds on Jive. I tried those to find new posts for the spaces in a Jive community. Even that has limitations for its function. I also disliked having to use a third party application to do something I have used built in on other forum/community type sites.

Ryan Rutan

All fair points ... and feedback that we'd like to have shared in our Jive Platform

All that being said, I still stand by my personal preference that Jive is better than any email client.  I get easily 500+ emails a day, if I didn't have Jive ... that number would easily be over 1000.  The amount of information that I am able to scan and engage on a daily basis is off the charts, and helps keep my mind focused on a specific context at a time, and see a holistic picture of the conversation that is up to date rather than having the comments trickled to me message by message.  Being able to compartmentalize and respond to actual conversations in a tool like Jive is invaluable to me in terms of time savings and making sure that I stay in the know, and I couldn't imagine doing work any other way. =)

At the end of the day, I truly do hope that you share your feedback in our platform space, where product management monitors for feedback.  They are always on the lookout for ways to make the product better, and that is how I'd categorize your feedback above.  Truly to appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts =)

it2000

A big company did simply remove the number of new mails of their web interface because it does not help to see that there are 2000 new ones, so they ended with a 'binary' "(no) new emails" view.

Having more than 50 inbox items usually means that one needs a lot of time to look through them - 'matters most' or sorting is not (yet?) available.

Allowing the user to modify '50' may help you. I assume a custom profile field and a ftl, soy or src. modification should do it - Hopefully prof. services can do this.

ann154

Perhaps that would help. Although knowing how many new items are in one section of this community or any other Jive based community would help a user focus their participation if they only have a limited about time.

Now before someone brings up the activity stream, I want to say I have attempted to use it for tracking new posts. Unfortunately it loses count as soon as a user leaves that page. There is also no way to sort by oldest "new" post. If you have multiple followed (Jive 5.0+), you can't sort by location of the posts even if you filtered it to just your followed.

ann154

A year and a half later, this 50+ inbox count is a bane in my interactions with the Jive platform. Somehow I learned block out the number next to the Inbox link.

That said, it would more helpful if the inbox could function more like a email inbox. Particularly if there was a sort option. Sorting from oldest to newest replies would allow me and others who get a large number of responses through the oldest posts first.

It would also be helpful if the filter by username worked on touchscreen only devices like tablets.