3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 1:39 PM by artoix

Thoughts on the new Producteev

hmcb

I hope this message is read by the powers that be.

The founder, Ilan, worked hard to bring the world Producteev. I saw the product mature and become one of the best todo apps on the market. It seemed like the people behind it truly "got" what a task app should be. I believe they went beyond doing the basics well—which is saying a lot—the product anticipated more powerful ways of collaboration. And where it was lacking, they worked hard to listen to the community. Throughout my juggling of various todo apps, Producteev was the fly that wouldn’t go away. I say that with the utmost admiration. The app just resonated so well with me, that I kept coming back.

The day the buy-out was announced, I knew something would be lost in the translation. But it seems that it would be worse.

To me, it seems that Producteev was transformed into something that fit Jive’s product arsenal and not taking the best of Producteev and building upon it. I could be far off from the truth, but as the end-user, that's what my gut tells me. Many of the decisions feel like Producteev had to fit the architecture of the new company. For instance…

The dropping of workspaces to networks was so utterly trivialized, that you have to wonder the thought process behind it. I don’t feel like Ilan truly would have overlooked such an important paradigm shift. How could someone not have seen the implications of Producteev’s former way of doing things and not provided a better migration to the new way of doing things? It's incomprehensible! And emphatically so, since the very app would break for existing users. And broke it did. I have projects that now show up in networks that no longer have tasks. And what about collaboraters? Somehow, people, tasks and projects are floating off to themselves or completely vanished from the interface.

The product forums/communities are so slow to load. Tasks take forever to load and keep refreshing when projects are clicked. And that's just the start. The combined Jive/Producteev companies feel out of sync. Not a good marriage. Company reps stating, "We'll need to get the product guys on this to answer the question" doesn't build confidence. Despite the initial enthusiasm for the buy-out, Ilan's baby deserved better than this.

As it stands, the product is unusable short of starting over. And maybe that's what should have been done. To run both services side by side until the kinks were worked out. Now many of us are left with completely broken workflows. And when you have outside people (like clients) that collaborate, it makes us look bad.

The product looks fantastic (at least on Mac; people have noted bad text rendering on Windows), so I’m hopeful that in time it will return back to its glory.

• Re: Thoughts on the new Producteev

Hi there, well first, thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful piece.

I want to apologize again on the way this rollout happened. Jive has actually nothing to do with this, we're one company now, but the team who worked on this new release is the exact same team who's been working on Producteev for a long time, we've continued to operate as a startup and we came up with the concept of "Networks". Yes, that brings us closer to Jive's suite of products but that's not why we did that. We simply had a lot of requests from larger companies who wanted to use Producteev as well, and Workspaces were not cutting it for them.

We messed up the upgrade, but we're fixing things at light speed, and hopefully, most of our legacy users will start seeing the benefits of that new release rather sooner than later. Ilan

• Re: Thoughts on the new Producteev
            artoix

H C wrote:

To run both services side by side until the kinks were worked out. Now many of us are left with completely broken workflows. And when you have outside people (like clients) that collaborate, it makes us look bad.

Can't say better! 100%!