6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 5:10 PM by Frank Field

contest for correct answers?

mnevill

Has anyone ever ran a contest to promote users supplying correct answers to another user's question?  I am investigating ways to implement that with gift cards or some other reward, but would love to get feedback from anyone that has done this before with some success.  One scenario I am conflicted about is that we don't want to give a reward to the same person every month, but at the same time we want them to stay motivated and not catch "I've won and now I'm done" fever.  I don't think this will be a problem for super users (who I would expect to be the first round of winners), but are there any tactics or good contest rules to keep the others interested in participating after they win once outside of recognition?

• Re: contest for correct answers?
          ChristopherHall

We've had great success with temporarily changing the number of points a user receives for having their response chosen as the "Correct answer." We promoted this in various ways, but the jist of it was that from Start date to end date, having a response chosen as "correct" got you double points. Not only did we see a spike in the number of responses, but also the length/quality of said responses.

You could also run a contest (I'm brainstorming here) in which you track each time someone selects an answer as correct as well as each time someone provides a correct answer. This could help promote both healthier responses, but also the act of selecting a response as Correct.

1. Each time you select an answer as correct your name goes into a pool
          2. Each time your answer is selected as correct - your name goes into a pool
          3. Set a Max of 10 entries so non-power users know they have a chance

And the end of your contest's timeframe - draw a name or two to get your winners!

• Re: contest for correct answers?
            mnevill

Here are the rules we settled on:

• The contest begins on the first of each month and ends on the last day of the month.
            • Employees are not eligible to win.
            • When you supply an answer it is given a time stamp.  Your answer must be chosen as the “Correct Answer” and the time stamp of your answer must fall within the contest range for that month to count. If your answer gets marked after the month ends, unfortunately it will NOT count for the contest so be sure to ask the author to select your answer as the “Correct Answer” with the applicable button if it solved their issue so you get credit.
            • The 5 people with the most correct answers to other member's questions for the month will be entered into a random drawing to win.  If there are several users with the same number of correct answers they will be entered too, but must have more than one correct answer to qualify.
            • Only questions in the designated product posting areas count.  Private discussions and posts from other areas of the community are not applicable.
            • You cannot win the contest more than once a quarter.
            • The contest winner will be announced within a couple weeks after the month’s end in the contest area.
            • These rules are subject to change.  If anything does change we will update this document.

These are slightly modified from what we posted in our community so the users know the rules up front.