We've had great success with temporarily changing the number of points a user receives for having their response chosen as the "Correct answer." We promoted this in various ways, but the jist of it was that from Start date to end date, having a response chosen as "correct" got you double points. Not only did we see a spike in the number of responses, but also the length/quality of said responses.
You could also run a contest (I'm brainstorming here) in which you track each time someone selects an answer as correct as well as each time someone provides a correct answer. This could help promote both healthier responses, but also the act of selecting a response as Correct.
- Each time you select an answer as correct your name goes into a pool
- Each time your answer is selected as correct - your name goes into a pool
- Set a Max of 10 entries so non-power users know they have a chance
And the end of your contest's timeframe - draw a name or two to get your winners!
Excellent call, including those that mark the answer as correct.
Here are the rules we settled on:
- The contest begins on the first of each month and ends on the last day of the month.
- Employees are not eligible to win.
- When you supply an answer it is given a time stamp. Your answer must be chosen as the “Correct Answer” and the time stamp of your answer must fall within the contest range for that month to count. If your answer gets marked after the month ends, unfortunately it will NOT count for the contest so be sure to ask the author to select your answer as the “Correct Answer” with the applicable button if it solved their issue so you get credit.
- The 5 people with the most correct answers to other member's questions for the month will be entered into a random drawing to win. If there are several users with the same number of correct answers they will be entered too, but must have more than one correct answer to qualify.
- Only questions in the designated product posting areas count. Private discussions and posts from other areas of the community are not applicable.
- You cannot win the contest more than once a quarter.
- The contest winner will be announced within a couple weeks after the month’s end in the contest area.
- These rules are subject to change. If anything does change we will update this document.
These are slightly modified from what we posted in our community so the users know the rules up front.
Matt, that sounds great! Quick question, is pulling the monthly metrics an issue?
Not for me because I already report monthly on Correct answer supplied by employees vs non-employees directly from the database. I made a video that shows how to do this here: Re: Using Postgres SQL queries and Excel to determine non-employee answers
That is really awesome. Buuuuuuut,I'm an excel ignoramus who will never survive that. Wish there were simply some smarty-pants who figured out how to get "answers marked correct" posted in a user's gamification dashboard. Or by their avatar. :-)