9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 2:47 PM by miloskrocian

Searchable External Bookmarks

miloskrocian

Is it only me or External Bookmarks are not searchable at all?

• Re: Searchable External Bookmarks
          planktr

I'm here investigating the same thing.  I was surprised to find that the bookmarks to external sites are not appearing in search results.  It seems that Bookmarks are not considered "Content" and are marooned under the little search-ahead drop down.  Clicking in the search box, clicking Bookmarked, then Show All Bookmarks will take you to a very nice page that allows you to navigate and filter them, but they're very isolated from the rest of the general content.

Particularly for External URL's, my whole reason for adding, describing and tagging external sites as bookmarks was to include them in Search so others might benefit from a link when looking for something in Jive.  With the feature as designed, they're hardly useful as I'm the only one that sees them and it takes three or four clicks to review them.  If only for my reference, It's easier to use the bookmarks/favorites in my browser.  At least then they're searchable.

Is there any way to include External URL's as content in the general search?

miloskrocian

somebody from managers? Ryan Rutan?

eickyeicky

I would also love an answer on this. It seems they were searchable in 5 but are not in 6...

miloskrocian

Anybody from Jive?

Hi all - we did indeed remove external bookmarks from the index in Jive 6. Because they contain very little indexable content - they were often returning inappropriately from a general search and pushing down more legitimate search results. In addition, we introduced Jive Anywhere (a browser plugin that allows you to easily create a discussion and include a snapshot of the referenced site) that actually creates a much nicer experience overall (it also can show you if someone has already referenced a site so you can avoid duplicates). I encourage you to check out Jive Anywhere and the much nicer functionality around referencing external sites and content. You can find a link to install it under the user menu -> tools.