8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 9:28 AM by laurabecraft

Create a Project

eric.davis

Hi-

We currently have Project turned off but are wondering if it is possible to turn on "Create Project" in Jive SBS 6.0.1.1 for selected users? Specifically, is it possible to turn it on so that Admins can use it but keep it turned off for users?

Thanks.

Eric Davis

VENTYX

An ABB Company www.ventyx.com

• Re: Create a Project
          Brad.Fitzgerald

As far as i know, it is all or nothing.

Megan Truett

Only solution I can think of is using the space permission over-rides in the admin console, but depending on how many spaces and admins you have, it could be a challenge.

eric.davis

Thanks, Megan.

We only have two admins so this might be a solution.

- Eric

tmaurer

I Think Megan meant space admins. That is where it will get tricky. Tou probably have to set the permissions space by space. And if projects and on, and you also use groups, I believe anyone can add projects to their group.

Megan Truett

Not necessarily space admins. Since Eric said specifically giving the right to the admins, I used that as a variable. From what I understand, he wants to give project rights to only a few people in his entire instance. In our instance at least, you can give elevated permissions to a user (space admin or otherwise), but it's on a space by space settings or at the system admin level. If it's not a permission you set at the system admin level, you have to set it space by space, so if you have tons of spaces, that could be a lot of work However, not sure if you can turn off projects at a group level except for a few people.

Brad.Fitzgerald

If you want to customize, I believe that you can make "Create a Project" visible to admins only, but ouside of that, it gets tricky. In spaces, you can limit who does what at a global or  per space level and the permissions inherit nicely, but in this instance, also understand that Projects are turned on and will be available in Groups as well.  It is no possible, AFAIK, to limit Create a Project in Groups without a customization.

I am curious as to why you'd want to limit projects though.

eric.davis

Thanks for the tips, guys.  Very helpful.

Brad - our community is really a forum for Ventyx PMS to interact with external and foster communications amongst other customers.  Although I wasn't in on the original decision-making process, I think that we felt that Projects weren't the best tool which is why it was turned off for the comunity as a whole.  However, it is felt that this is something that the other admin and myself could utilize.

laurabecraft

We are on 6.01 and have projects enabled.  We also have a separate tool we use for Project Management, but find the PM piece in Jive is not bad for simple PM concepts.

I think where our users find it most useful though, is in treating it as a "sub-group" function.  They just set the project "end" date to something rather indefinite and arrange the group layout to whatever way makes sense depending on the activity they want.  I just had one user the other day set one up like an idea submission area within his group.  He wanted to break it apart from the rest of his group content, so he created a project instead and laid it out like an idea area.

Just another idea for how to use them.  Probably not what Jive had in mind, but hey...