9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 2:29 AM by tburak

Enormous new banners are problematic

tmcgillis

Is anyone else having a problem with the new Templates layout on Jive Cloud? The new layout adds several inches of uncustomizable banner which is mostly blank space (but defaults to a dark/black texture). My users were already complaining that the top banner (where the main nav is) was too large for their small screens, they are now at a complete loss.

I'd like to be able to:

- shrink the size of the top nav/header area

- adjust the size of the new Template banner/layout

- customize the background image/color of the template bars or replace them site-wide

In the future I'd like to be able to opt out of a feature like this before it's applied to my site.

Some users are also having trouble with the two layers of navigation (the bar that is part of the header, and the bar that is specific to the area you are in). I think they will get more used to that - but I do think the spacing and layout of the two color headers is confusing.

Here is what a typical page on my site looks like. IMHO That's a lot of indistinct blotchy dark colors on your screen, giving you very little additional information.

cfs.PNG.png

• Re: Enormous new banners are problematic
          jkurutz

I'm fairly new and we have a new site, so my only significant exposure to Jive has been to Jive 6, but I think you've touched on a significant trend within Jive. I've been struck about how much white space there is on our pages, and it's really limiting. Our users keep asking us to shrink the space between widgets, and as far as I know there's no way to shrink it. I've done everything for our site on my laptop, and I see these wasted space issues enough that I've gotten the impression that Jive assumes everyone has big monitors.

We don't have that second row of nav tools. Is that a customization of yours? Is there an option in the admin console and/or theme we can turn on to use it? I'm not planning on it, as our site's been developed fairly well already, but ti would be useful to know about.

Thanks. - Josh

Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 7.03.25 PM.png

tmaurer

Agreed - if anyone comes up with a way to shrink the whitespace between widgets, we'd love to know as well. It got too big in Jive 6!

antoine.rage

Actually you can modify the space between the widgets by changing the value "margin-bottom" in the CSS :

.jive-widget {

margin-bottom: 10px;

}

A way to do that would be to create a HTML widget in your Homepage (put it at the bottom of your page & hide the widget border) and copy & paste this :

<style type="text/css">

.jive-widget {

margin-bottom: 10px;

}

</style>

Of course this will only affect the Homepage where you put the widget.

1 person found this helpful
                      tmaurer

Thanks, but we really are looking for a sitewide solution to this. I would have thought that would be something that could be set in the OOTB themebuilder.

jkurutz

Antoine, I tried your solution, and it works well! Thanks!

But making that work revealed another problem: The space between the columns in which the widgets are placed. The margin-bottom solution reduced the vertical gaps tremendously, but when I tried setting "margin-left", it actually added space. It was clear that the margins affected by the HTML widget's contents pertain to the space between widgets, but not the space between the columns in which the widgets are housed.

Do you know how to set the gap between the regions in the Layout?

Thanks. - Josh

tmcgillis

We are on Jive Cloud and it was a non-optional change that arrived with the last update, that all of the Overview pages are subject to a Template - all of the templates include the huge banner and subnavigation. Not a bad concept, but not a tenable execution.

james.dellow

This doesn't address the whole issue, but I noticed that you can't select from the different header backgrounds unless you have the Activity page view activated. You can change the header background and then deactivate the Activity page again if you don't want to use it.

it2000

Is anyone else having a problem with the new Templates layout on Jive Cloud?

Yes. One needs a large screen to create such a screen shot - my notebook shows only 1 post. (I also have a task bar and browser status bar at the bottom of the screen.)

LG .May 11, 2013 7:15 PM

I do not like the design of "purposeful places". To the Jive header another header (banner) is added, so 50% of a small 19:6 screen contain the page header, as seen here: https://github.com/jivesoftware/jive-sdk/raw/master/docs/images/redlinkmobile-dealroom.png

I'd like to see the purposeful places banner on the right or left, there is usually enough empty space.

Tracy did suggest to create an idea ... while I still wonder whether jive_employees have 9:16 instead of 16:9 screens.

tburak

Agree with the comments above - a big waste of 'real estate'.

Also, we are still on Overview pages, and request that all pages have the Overview widget (so that people see the description, admins and tags,) which users rightfully complain takes up space, and duplicates the banner.

Would really like to see this minimised as much as possible, to only include the Title, and Actions -

Jeremy Grant