9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 11:39 AM by tiffaniallen

Name-ification: What do you call gamification at your company?

Edward Ford

In talking to people considering launching gamification, I know that some have opted to use a different name instead of using the word "gamification" for fear that it would be trivialized. Was something that you encountered when launching gamification? If so, what did you call gamification at your company? I'm looking at it as an opportunity to potentially brand the experience for users. Interested to hear how others have approached this.

• Re: Name-ification: What do you call gamification at your company?

Changing the name can help to make yourself comfortable when talking to different audiences, like calling it Reputation and Rewards or Game Theory and Psychology.  But the biggest change is how you bring up examples of games in order to convince those who immediately think of 'Gamification' == Video Games.  Instead of focusing on the digital world, talk of Rome and the the Colosseum,  Golf, Futbol, Soccer, Chess, Checkers, Puzzles, Running, Boating, Any Sport Ever.

Everyone I know plays a game of some style, just a matter of finding out which one hits home.

I fought against the term "gamification" but I have now surrendered, after attending GSummit. It became abundantly clear that gamification is the word many people around the world are using, and it is not going away any time soon. I think the word is appalling, but I have gotten over it

Edward Ford

Did you find that others within your organization were automatically opposed to anything that sounded like a it was a game and equated that with something that wasn't business-focused?

Hi Edward,

I actually have not encountered anyone in my organization who is opposed to anything that sounded like it was a game. No issues with the word gamification.

Maybe that's because when we launched it I made it crystal clear that this was just_for_fun and not something to take too seriously. It really is a game for us and in our culture making work fun is not only accepted, it is encouraged.

Of course, there are people concerned about it becoming a distraction -- as they should be! But our message is a simple one: we are trying fun ways to encourage positive and productive behavior in the community. And when we get it wrong, we will adjust (as we had to do within hours of our launch!).

We also have had Jive's point system in place for nearly five years, so getting points and moving up levels was nothing new. This was really a vast improvement in that system and so widely welcomed.

the_topher

Edward,

I think gamification, like any use of social has a stigma of sorts in a general audience.  It is good to know this upfront and to have a strategy to "defeat" the stigma.

If we can get an audience to understand that games happen all around us in different contexts, we can help the user population to relate to what they already know.  As Curtis indicates, relating to real world games can help the audience to make a connection.  Adult learners learn best when they can relate new to old - they can connect what they do know with something new to assimilate the information, theory, ideas better.

For me, this is an opportunity to connect with the audience and provide information akin to an AHA! moment.  The Coursera course on Gamification really made it abundantly clear that games, game design, game theory, psychology, and motivation are all intertwined.  Moreover, the use of such helps to provide engaging experiences.  This is similar to providing learning in different forms for the different types of learners (audio, visual, kinesthetic).  So, helping people understand that the commercials, TV shows, reward programs, etc that they participate in are all using game theory and game design elements will further help them to relate.  Then, you take the opportunity to say, "well, we're doing the same thing with [Reputation], we are using elements that help you to see what is going on, what is popular in the community, and who is active; and, we're rewarding users and increasing their reputation for the experiences they have in the community" just like you receive more experience from your grocery store, frequent flyer program, and the like.

It truly is fascinating to "discover" the game elements at work in the normalness of life.  After the Coursera course, I constantly spot it - the course provides such insight I think that is what helps me to understand and to defeat the stigma.  I can't wait as we're going to launch gamification (not yet specifically titled) in our instance soon.

Cheers and good luck!

Edward Ford

I haven't taken the Coursera gamification course yet, but I can relate to the things you're saying. I have been doing lots of reading as we close in on our launch and I just finished a conversation with a client and helped them really see how they can utilize this structure.

Broadly, I think the concept of providing different forms of learning and ways to engage an audience is critical and why I think gamification will become an increasingly fundamental part of the way people interact. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It definitely puts this in a broader context and confirms that we're heading in the right direction.

tiffaniallen

I realize I am resurrecting a thread, but we are now embarking on the gamification journey in both our employee and customer facing communities. From a branding and marketing perspective, it's tempting to tap it as gamification because the term is so widely known, there are enough online resources for users to learn more. However, when I consider my entire user base, I opted for Online Reputation. The term still encompasses the objectives and elements of our gamification experience and is already a familiar term ingrained in the platform.