1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 7:39 AM by Dennis Pearce

How do you manage information overload? (for enterprise community managers using Jive 6 custom streams)

KirstenL

With tens of thousands of potential users (the entire organization) on our Jive instance at any time, watching the All Activity stream does me very little good other than to catch the very occasional question or comment pertinent to my role.  But when setting up custom streams, I can essentially only pull in the information from people and places I am already familiar with or stumble upon through my time on the community.

Inquiring minds want to know: How do you keep your finger on the pulse of the community?  What are your Streams and Notifications best practices?

• Re: How do you manage information overload? (for enterprise community managers using Jive 6 custom streams)
          Dennis Pearce

I have a stream to follow our corporate executives, one to follow my management chain, and one to follow blogs that I like.  Aside from that, I tend to follow places and content rather than people because the results are more topical.  A chatty person might have valuable things to say in some places but I don't necessarily want to see all their social discussions cluttering up my activity stream.

We also have Popular Content and Unanswered Questions widgets on our home page so I look at those from time to time for things that I might not see in my activity streams.  And users have learned the power of @mentioning so I will often get pulled into discussions I wasn't previously aware of.  Finally, I'm lucky enough to not have to be the sole admin of our community.  I co-manage it with Laura Becraft so having two sets of eyes means that often one of us will see something that the other one doesn't and share it.