27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 12:00 AM by thomaslambert

How do I delete tags?

gail@voltage.com

How do I delete tags -  for those no longer used, mis-spelled etc or for whatever reason?

• Re: How do I delete tags?
          tmaurer

One at a time, on each document where they appear. Edit tags and remove or replace individual tags.

John Schwiller

If after removing the tag from all content it is still being suggested, and I've seen just removing it from all content remove it from future suggestions, then jive.tagCloud.rebuildCloudOnStartup = true should help. This is a 'weird' property as it is deleted once the next startup occurs (so as not to run on following runs - personally I'd rather leave it in place and set it false).

1 person found this helpful
              pmccarthy

We're experiencing an interesting use case where users are tagging content with a hashtag sometimes and sometimes without a hashtag, resulting in duplicate tags.  This is creating a problem when users are searching for content related to the tag, they would have to search on both options (not fun).

Example:  #paul is entered as a tag.  and then paul is entered as a tag.  The system sees these as unique and doesn't return results unless you are looking for both.

Its a shame the system doesn't allow us to administratively garden tags versus going into each piece of content.  So far the only thing that I am able to do is go into every applicable space and manage tags by associating them to a category.  This is really tedious given that the tag is something global across all spaces.

Keeley Sorokti

I'm in the process of this doing this manual, very slow tag clean up process because our upgraded Cloud version now allows for spaces in a tags so all of a sudden we have lots of duplicate tagging going on. I just submitted a help ticket to figure out how to get rid of the tags that aren't associated with any content from appearing in the list of suggested tags. Looks like I need to see if I have access to this property that John Schwiller mentions. Not sure where to find that.

John Schwiller

It's a system property but if you are on cloud you don't have access to any of those. Support will have to add the system property and then you or they can do a restart.

Edit: my bad, of course you can't restart Cloud although you can restart on-prem or hosted with JCA.

bbenton

Oh my word, this is a manual per doc approach? There are no system tag management options?

John Schwiller, think I may have found the answer re: our other thread but it's not the right answer

peter_c

With our database admin we have managed to delete/merge/correct from 22.000 tags to 6600 tags.They were downloaded from the DB, clean and reuploaded. Unfortunately the deleted tags still show up in the auto suggest.

It would be good if we could lock the Database and not allow the free creation of tags. I know this is against the spirit of the platform...

doyledo

tburak

Hi Peter Chloupek - keen to know how you managed this?  We are having the same issue, and would like to clean up as well.  Are you hosted or cloud?

peter_c

We are using Jive 8 hosted and will move soon to Jive 9 (hosted too). It´s really rather straight forward, we crawl the Rest API, the result is a csv file that is cleaned, merged and "deleted" and then the result is re-upload.

All this works pretty fast and the result is impressive, but unfortunately the Auto suggest somehow minimizes the positive result. And with 150.000 documents I would not like to clean them on  a document to document basis.

The only solution would be to stop the users to create any tag they like.

thomaslambert

I've tested this : How to remove unwanted or unused tags

But it's not clear if it will remove tags in the tag cloud only or in the auto suggested box as well.