5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 11:21 AM by tfitzgerald

Multiple Searches Earn Badge

tfitzgerald

Is it possible to monitor the amount of searches in the Nitro Gamification Module? I know I can track a user's first search, but I'd like to give a badge to someone who searches, say 10 times--that way it becomes more of a habit to search before posting.

Thanks!

• Re: Multiple Searches Earn Badge
          roguen

I don't believe so, but we're just getting into this ourselves. 

To clarify though, is this just for reaching the search page or does it also include when they do a "spotlight" search (just the drop down).

I know for this we had to do something special to even capture the analytics for our webtrends code, increasing the suspicious that it is not covered by bunchball or the gamification module.

tfitzgerald

Thanks for the reply Roguen! I thought that it included actually searching, not just reaching the page--but I could be off on that.

So by some special coding you were able to capture some of this information?

roguen

Hi Tracy,

It is for doing the search, not just reaching the page.  Where I'm not sure about, to be honest, is if it's actually following through to the search page results, if it's selecting a result off the dropdown or if it's getting the search drop down itself.

What I do know is that the only trigger I see in the admin console is called "FirstSearchEvent" under the misc folder.  So whatever it's doing, looks like it's only doing it once.

As for the code to capture some of this information.  We were not doing it to capture for bunchball, but rather for analytic tracking code.  Specifically we were looking for terms that users typed into the spotlight search.  It's because of that experience that I'm assuming this is not the level they're triggering at, but I could be wrong.

Though, to take a step back from what I just said Perhaps the reason it's called FirstSearchEvent and it's only tracking the first call is just that.

When I'm tying letters into the search bar it starts going after the first 3.  If I type 4 it's a new search, 5 and it's a new search, delete one and it's a new search.  So unless there is some really good logic working behind the scenes there, you could end up with someone completing the mission just because it's a long word their searching.