3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 3:28 PM by roguen

Why does Jive log off automatically?

nluscombe

I am the webmaster and have been asked by many users: why does Jive suddenly log me off / bump me out while I'm logged in and using the site?

This is of particular concern to our CEO.

I appreciate your earliest reply!

Thanks

• Re: Why does Jive log off automatically?
          roguen

Hi Nikki,

Is this a site that is hosted with Jive or that you have on premise?

Is this happening during regular activity or does this happen after a period of inactivity?

Everyone or just a handful or users?

Internal or external site?  Something that we could try ourselves?

nluscombe

Hi Roguen,

This is our intranet site:  http://mytvontario/index.jspa

It seems to be a common problem. Users are logged in and trying to contribute content/write a blog, but then the system logs them out/off. (I have noticed this happens to me but as you say, during a period of inactivity.)

Any ideas on why this might happen, and how to avoid/solve?

Thanks

Nikki

roguen

Looks like the site isn't available to me.

But I would guess that it does have something to do with the inactivity.  If someone logged into the community, there was a period of inactivity, and then they tried to submit new content they would likely get the red bar asking them to log in again.

This would seem to indicate that the session timeout be extended for the instance.  If this is on-prem I think you can find this value int he web.xml (not certain).  If it's hosted you can contact Jive support and ask them to extend it for you.  In both cases you would need to restart the instance.

To be honest though, last time I ever saw anything resembling this for more than a very random occurrence was when some kind of single sign on  solution was involve.  This could be the case for you as well.  When that SSO system passes over the session value it will expire after a certain amount of time. In this case the solution was to extend that timeout to 8 hours (which would be high otherwise).