5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 3:21 PM by Kara Francis

Balancing user experience with social components

Kara Francis

I regularly get feedback from users that they want to use a "web site" to store and organize documents so that it is "easier" for their users to find stuff (the content owners want to choose the layout, order, etc. of the content).  But then they want a sense of community and when they hear of the various social interactions that come from Jive, they want those as well.  But they feel that they can only get a good "user experience" via the web site.

How do you address the document repository question?  Posting to a non-social intranet may allow for you to layout your attachments in a nice way, but the ability to share, mention, follow, comment, re-post, etc. is lost.  Is there a Jive feature that would help resolve this or some best practices or tips that would help a team make this paradigm shift?  I think that the users also have to make this shift.  Some people don't like to have to look for content.  They want to be told what to review and where to find it.

I know that they can customize their group overview page and can feature content.  But is it a best practice for them to add links to a large volume of content on the overview page?  That appears to be a way for the content to still be layed out as they want, but to also be social, so that is a good thing.  Is it worth the set-up work involved (1st upload attachment, then update overview page with the reference links, and then to regularly maintain that list of attachments)?  I'm curious what others have done to balance the document repository question when they don't just want a folder view, they want it all organized for their users.

Several teams are open to this new paradigm, but I need a compelling message to share with a specific team on 7/30/13 (yes, tomorrow).  My existing messages have not made a sufficient impact with this particular team, so I'm trying to improve my message.  Any help is appreciated.

I saw gialyons' social intranets post and agree with what she shared, but I need a little more.  I know that some companies have Jive set up as their main employee portal/intranet.  So I maybe just need to know what technology was needed to accomplish that.

Alos, maybe it would help if I defined this particular scenario:

• This will be used for executive leader orientation
      • A lot of resources will be posted by those responsible for the program
      • This is replacing an event that has previously been delivered live; to cut costs, they are taking this virtual
      • Although we have the SharePoint connector, the content is not stored on a traditional SharePoint site/library, but rather the Moss version that allows it to look and feel like a web site rather than a SharePoint site.  From what I understand, this level of integration is not available.
        • Re: Balancing user experience with social components

Hey Kara,

Can you move this to Internal Communities? I know that group has discussed this quite a bit in the past, and you'll get more eyeballs on this, versus just private with me.

I've see what you describe, and I've also seen success with using categories, but since this is for an executive leader orientation online event, I suspect that much more "hand holding" wrt to finding documents is in order.

Folks who have experience with document information architecture in Jive include Tracy Maurer and Terry.Kristiansenf, among others. Kim England will also have some good tips for you, once you open up this discussion in that group.

Hope it helps!

roguen

Hi Kara,

We're one of those who uses our community as our employee intranet.

Our strategy, and the on that we're helping implement with a few other customers is using Jive + Box.  We our on the cloud instance ourselves which has the added benefit of keeping us on the Jive upgrade path.

Lot of cool things things to discuss about this integration, but a downside is that at the moment it only integrates with groups and not spaces (sounds like that should change though).

A great thing about this is that it's permissions operate off of Jive's group permissions so it feels less like trying to administer two separate pieces of technology.  The content can obviously then be "socialized" in your other web offerings from this central repository.

Kara Francis

Any tips for those of us who do not have that extra technology?  I‘m in need of some ideas based on our current arrangement (Jive 6 on-premise).

I‘ll check out the Jive + Box that you mention, but may not be able to pursue that in the near future.  I like that you don‘t have to manage the permissions in multiple applications.  With the SharePoint connector, we need to manage both applications.

tmaurer

We do use our Jive instance as our intranet. And for the most part, this isn't an objection that we necessarily ran into, at least not quite the way you describe here. Sometimes what they found is that users didn't necessarily like the "old" way of doing things on the intranet. We don't have any "extra" technology to accomplish what we've done.

I have seen that people tackle the problem in a variety of ways.

• Sometimes, they'll use lists of links
                • Sometimes they'll use images linked to content
                • Featured content widgets can be helpful
                • The Lobby widget (available in Jive's Catalyst add-on) can be helpful for some groups
                • Adding "additional information" links to documents is helpful, to connect people to other similar topics

A couple other things that are helpful:

• Make sure that people know to post questions if they can't find what they are looking for. Try to ascertain why they couldn't find it and address the root issue (i.e. document not tagged well, link not containing an image or words they associated with what they were looking for).
                • When people call or email asking for help, try to direct them to the document in Jive instead of explaining something all over again.

But if what you are really trying to do is to provide orientation or training, it might be worthwhile to investigate something like SmarterPath. Nils Heuer can help you out here.

Kara Francis

The group will serve as an on-going resource beyond their virtual learning experience.

Your suggestions are helpful.  It sounds like in order to use the Jive group as their document repository, they‘ll need to take some time to design their overview page and ensure that content is tagged well - and that users understand how to use the tags. 

I need to help them see that users will actually find things more quickly if things are tagged.  On the web site example, they would need to read every link (or at least every link underneath a given heading or section) to really find what they are looking for, even if it is nicely organized.  Or in Jive they can click on a tag or search the group to quickly find a document related to their topic of interest.