4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 6:41 AM by wduffee

Can the Forms App be used to edit a previously generated document?

slfox5

I want to use Forms to enable self service maintenance of documents. First to create it. Then, when the document content must be updated (add/change/delete), I'd like to again use Forms to control this activity. Is this possible? I see no such examples in the documentation. Thanks for the anticipated advice!

• Re: Can the Forms App be used to edit a previously generated document?
          ac255026

Stephen,

Around this request the Forms App is used so you can provide a template for users to fill in requested information either as a Document or Discussion.  After the content is published then if the content needed to be edited you would use the regular editing features.

8-19-2013 9-17-31 AM.png

wduffee

Hi Stephen,

One option I'm using is to use one Form to create an entire document, and then building other smaller Forms that can be used to insert new information at particular points in the document. It doesn't help with editing or deleting content, but it makes adding new content much simpler.

Hope that helps,

Wesley

tiffany@puppetlabs.com

Hi Wesley,

Could you please explain how you get smaller Forms to insert new information into previously created Forms content? This sounds pretty groovy-

Thanks,

Tiffany

wduffee

Hi Tiffany,

Sure - I create the "main" form+template, and then create secondary forms+templates for insertion at specific points of the main document. So, for instance, if I want to have a Company Profile page with Contact Information, I'll create the big "Company Profile" form+template with places for data like company name, address, phone, url, etc. Then I'll have a specific place in the Company Profile template designated for Contact Information. In the Contact Information form+template, I'll have fields like first/last name, email, phone, title, etc.

So I start out with a blank document, and use the !App function to find and fill out my Company Profile form. Once the Company Profile document is created and saved, I can then go and insert my "Contact Information" template by placing the cursor in the document content where I want my Contact Information to go, clicking the !App again to bring up the Contact Information form, and viola - new contact information inserted. I can do that multiple times per Company Profile.

Hope this helps - please let me know if that makes sense or if there is a more efficient way to do the above!

Best,

Wesley