8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 9:10 AM by nbussard

Is anyone using their Jive instance to promote employee networking?

laurabecraft

I'm interested in using our Jive instance (Innovate) as a networking tool but am struggling with how to do it.  I know we can add key words and tags to our profiles to better locate experts, but is anyone doing anything to promote better networking. opportunities?  I've done some searching within the JC and outside, but am just not coming up with much.  I think we have a good opportunity to use it for that purpose, but just not sure how.

I have a Women at Work thing scheduled early next year to promote the use of Innovate for women to better network in the workplace and would like it to be a little "meatier" than just fill out this field and that field and blahty- blah, magic happens... rainbows and unicorns...

Thoughts? 

• Re: Is anyone using their Jive instance to promote employee networking?
          tmaurer

What you've described is the exact reason our execs aren't that excited with Jive for expertise location. Something along the lines of what LinkedIn added would help, though I had to admit to being weary of so many people endorsing me constantly. Sometimes people who honestly haven't a clue what I'm good at; other times for things I don't agree I'm an expert on. I'm not convinced anyone has a magic bullet yet.

jessekane

Interesting, our profiles have not become the internal LinkedIn yet, but we are having great success with networking in our our official diversity and inclusion organizations (Asian, Black, GLBT, Latino, Older Professionals, Women, Young Professional employee groups). They say Jive is the only way they could have recruited and organized so quickly.

1 person found this helpful
                tmaurer

I agree for putting together online social groups it is great. But for expertise location, less useful sometimes. Though perhaps that is one aspect to invest time/energy in - creating interest groups where people with specific experience/expertise to congregate and share.

laurabecraft

I think there are a couple of aspects to this:

1.  How do  we build a reliable "expertise" system - combination of self-identifying and reliable endorsements?

2.  How can we connect people to the right people or organization (not necessarily "experts) when they have questions . We get a lot of "Does anyone know anything about_____?" in our Water Cooler

3.  How can we help people build better networks with each other for the purpose of building personal branding, career opportunities, etc

How do we manage it as it fluctuates and changes as peoples skills and roles evolve?  I have my own personal directory of people I reach out to when I need certain things.  In the old timey days, when I used a Rolodex, I would jot notes on my contacts cards.  I don't have a good way of  keeping track of that now.  Maybe I should buy another Rolodex :-) 

tmaurer

Laura, I think you have got something there - what about making a suggestion to Jive that we allow users to make notes on other people's profiles. Not necessarily public notes, but a way to keep track of things related to people. And then when that user goes to the People page and does a search, that field would be indexed to help with search results. That could be REALLY powerful!

nbussard

That is what we have discussed doing internally. We would like to allow people to tag other people's profiles, for example, although of course this would need to be moderated. In terms of endorsements, I agree that it is creepy when my mortgage broker endorses me for content strategy and does not do anything to help build my profile. However, I think it would be different in an internal community, where you know people have actually worked with you in a meaningful way. Additionally, if you had a catalog of skills that were centrally managed, it would be a lot easier to endorse people for the right thing, and results would be more relevant.

One other thing that we have looked at doing, but having yet figured out how to do, is pull in data from Linked In. The thinking is that people are much more likely to update their LinkedIn profiles versus our internal instance, and if we could leverage the data that is already there, we could find experts more quickly. This is especially true for us as we have a lot of new people due to rapid growth and frequent use of contractors.

laurabecraft

I'm not sure I expressed it very well, so I tagged you and Nikki to add additional comments, and vote of course.  https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/3983

Not long ago I posted a discussion in our community "How do you find things at Lexmark".  It got some great responses, but mostly it came down to who you know.  I think there is a lot of value in that, and I don't want to replace it, just augment it with something within our community that is available to everyone, whoever we might want to share it with, or maybe just something private we maintain ourselves.

It is odd when someone endorses me in Linked In for something I either don't feel like I'm an "expert" in or the person couldn't possibly know whether I'm good or not.  But I do think that people often think of us in ways that we don't ourselves.  I may not think I'm a go-to for something, but someone else might.  It helps build our reputation in more dimensions.